Whats the best rpm to launch the DC5R for a drag race ?

C&S Evo7

Administrator
Staff member
depends on ecu, tyres, surface , suspension etc.

with kpro about 3500-4000 ish, just out of vtec to allow car to get moving before vtec comes in or you will get to much wheelspin.

std car, don't really know but around the same or perhaps a little more

George K

Advanced Member
In hill climbing we get a first 64 feet time. These vary a lot because of surface and conditions. Allowing for that minimal wheelspin seems to be best on all FWD's. so about 3-4k seems to be a good compromise.

Dixcelbrake

Advanced Member
Depends what clutch you use as well, if its a racing clutch like Carbonetic they will just give reasonable slip and put maximum power on to the ground. Normally I use 6000rpm at 2nd gear and just jump the clutch. You can view my race video from my website and see how quick my car can launch.

Dixon

92VTEC

Thanks all ...my car has in the stock ecu and stock clutch....I cant rev over 5500rpm as my DC5R seems to have a rev limiter at that point at stand still....but is 2000rpm too low cause 4500rpm gives me a lt of wheel spin...I want to be able to get a good launch wit minimal wheelspin...I have on cold air and 2.75 custom exhaust...street tires but non-performance......

Tim J

Advanced Member
92VTEC said:
Thanks all ...my car has in the stock ecu and stock clutch....I cant rev over 5500rpm as my DC5R seems to have a rev limiter at that point at stand still....
IIRC - Honda put a limiter on the i-vtec engines to minimise oil starvation when at stand still

don't know about aftermarket ECU's

TyperItr

Advanced Member
I say around 3k rpm as anything more gets wheel spin and anything less is too little and after a few split seconds once the car is moving plant it into vtec. I have kpro with vtec at 5200 so that works best for me. So when im launching i just watch the rpm and keep it on the 3 mark.

celox performance

Advanced Member
I find with my final drive and geometry choice that a launch in 1st gear is out of the question and get far too much wheelspin. Ideally I should take off in 2nd gear and balance the throttle, but that's very hard to master so I just don't do any standing starts :(