Wheel Alignment set up with Adjustable coilovers

Kev.W

Advanced Member
Not sure if there's a thread already like this but my search wouldn't find what I wanted...

So onto my question, I'm fitting my Meister's this weekend and was wondering what preload did everyone put into the springs before fitting and what alignment you got and how it feels so I can get it all sorted. I don't have a big enough window to do trial and error on the Alignment machine that I'd like to have...

Pre-load on spring;
Front -
Back -

Toe;
Front -
Back -

Camber;
Front -
Back -

Brief description on feel;

Cheers in advance of any help

spooke

Advanced Member
Pre-load on spring;
Front - 2mm (as MeisterR have standard)
Back - 2mm (as MeisterR have standard)

Toe;
Front - 0
Back - 0.20' total (0.10' each side)

Camber;
Front - -2.00'
Back - -1.30' (I'd probably drop this slightly, maybe -1.10')

Caster; Flipped top mounts to increase caster (rough guess of +3/4.00')

Brief description on feel; The car is very predictable and feels balanced, good turn in and steering feel. No real signs of understeer or oversteer (more so on the verge of understeer). Tyres wearing surprisingly evenly. AD08R.

C&S Evo7

Administrator
Staff member
i am no expert on MeisterR coilovers , but generally to set spring preload you would wind the collar so it made contact with the spring then wind one more turn so the spring is held. Thats it. normally i full turn equates to around 1.5mm so as spooke says 2mm would be about right

as for toe, you wont go far wrong if you set at parallel on the front and rear or a touch of toe in on the rear but just a touch

camber -1.5 degrees (you will need adjustable arms for the rear so 1 if no adjusters ) all round

it would be commonly known as the "fast road setup" will improve feel massively

Kev.W

Advanced Member
C&S Evo7 said:
i am no expert on MeisterR coilovers , but generally to set spring preload you would wind the collar so it made contact with the spring then wind one more turn so the spring is held. Thats it. normally i full turn equates to around 1.5mm so as spooke says 2mm would be about right

as for toe, you wont go far wrong if you set at parallel on the front and rear or a touch of toe in on the rear but just a touch

camber -1.5 degrees (you will need adjustable arms for the rear so 1 if no adjusters ) all round

it would be commonly known as the "fast road setup" will improve feel massively
Cheers for the info

Only reason I ask about spring preload is because I've know it can vary between different manufactures and the person.

I only have access to my uncles garage for 3hrs to get a few jobs done and alignment...

Kev.W

Advanced Member

So I went to get my alignment done today but we hit a bit of a wall with the toe at the front, when we tried to bring the toe right, we run out of thread on the track rod...

What has other people done to get around this problem? The guys at MG Auto Motorsport advise that we could cut the track rod ends down 10mm but thought I'd ask on here first before doing this!

Sonny1

Advanced Member
You can get shortened and adjuatable tie rods. Tegiwa sell them and the ones I have are Hardrace ones which I've had no problems with.

Kev.W

Advanced Member
ScottyDc5 said:
You can get shortened and adjuatable tie rods. Tegiwa sell them and the ones I have are Hardrace ones which I've had no problems with.
Cheers mate, hopefully can get them in before next Saturday otherwise I'm going have to cut my track rod ends