wheel bearings

richie79

Advanced Member
do dc5s have a problem going tho wheel bearings? ive only had the car for 2 months and had front wheel bearing gone,and now a rear wheel bearing gone,the cars only done 76k!

davidpingu

Advanced Member
Not heard of them going much on here? Just the odd one or two perhaps. Replace with the genuine Honda part and you shouldn't have any more problems

richie79

Advanced Member
honda have said its a wheel bearing gone,second one in 2 months,frist was at front this is rear

dave7368

Advanced Member
you have no problem...

i might be concerned if it was the same one gone again..

richie79

Advanced Member
it was done in 2009 i found some paper work,so for it to go again 4 years later is a bit odd? however im not sure if they used honda parts or not as it doesnt say....the car was sitting around for a good ten months before i brought it from the garage,could this have played any part in it?

so far ive had my dc5 about 2 months and ive had to have 2 wheel bearings,new anti roll bar,new rear brake discs,and a new battery as it had the nissan mirca one in it,costing me alot of money,cant say as im enjoying dc5 ownership right now.

tico_87

Advanced Member
You've just been unlucky I guess. Brake disc are normal parts that need to be changed after a certain amount of time anyway.

I bought mine last year in February and the only thing so far (touch wood) to he replaced is the most common O2 sensor.

richie79

Advanced Member
well thats just say my last car was a toyota celica and it did 200,000 miles and was 15 years old and never went tho one wheel bearing,or had any problems so just a bit surpised as honda are meant to be bullet proof.

brucey87

Advanced Member
You're just being a bit unlucky mate. One of my front ones have just gone and thats after 90k miles. Only knew about it as it was my only advisory in a recent mot.

chrex

Advanced Member
Yea, they are performance machines so tolerances are tighter. I had to have my front one done not long ago. Went from hardly noticable to 'how is the wheel still on?' in a very short time. Mine is constant work in progress with bits now, but its always worth it. Get decent parts on it and you wont have to worry about it again! :)

davidpingu

Advanced Member
It's just your dc5 will have seen harder times out on the road than the celica most likely. Plus it sounds like you put most of that mileage on the celica yourself so you knew what it had been through for most of its life. Hondas typically get a regular thrashing which when compared with similar cars (a lot of french ones come to mind) stand up to it much better.

Bearing life can often be cut short if they are fitted by a neanderthal with a sledge hammer too. Tight fitting bearings often get fitted a bit "ghetto" on someone's drive so they are half beaten to death before they even go on the car.

If you use proper oem parts, fitted with proper tools I'm sure it will be fine.

If your still feeling hard done by, read my build thread and then tell yourself that actually things aren't that bad ;)