Wheel Hop

ferret

Was driving in the rain last night and pulling away from a junction a bit quickly the wheels started to spin and I got some terrible wheel hop. So tried it again further down the road and the same thing happened. Just wondering does has anyone had the same problem and if they fixed it? I believe its caused by worn bushings or engine mounts?

Granty1056

Advanced Member
Hi.

I've had it happen when cornering going uphill on a wet or bumpy road. I've put it down to the limited slip disk trying to do its job. Never had it happen other than then, so really unable to help.

Regards.

BenLAST

Advanced Member
Could be a number of things really. Engine mount inserts will definitely help!

blueguy

Resident J's whore
If your engine mounts are fine, the best bang for your buck is to use engine mount inserts to stiffen them up. In the old days all inserts were from Energy Suspension. I don't know if other manufacturers have introduced them since.
Note, with stiffer engine mounts the cabin noise/vibration will pick up, but it does settle down after a while.

ferret

Granty1056 said:
Hi.

I've had it happen when cornering going uphill on a wet or bumpy road. I've put it down to the limited slip disk trying to do its job. Never had it happen other than then, so really unable to help.

Regards.
From research its got nothing to do with the lsd, its caused flexing in parts that keep the wheels on the ground

BenLAST said:
Could be a number of things really. Engine mount inserts will definitely help!
Cool I'll order a set. Do you know if rsx ones are the same?
LiamGTR said:
Engine mounts
Tyres
Suspension
Not driving to the conditions
Again from research I'm pretty sure that tyres dont cause wheel hop, they have an effect on when it happens i.e grip levels but dont actually cause it. I was just wondering if anyone had first hand experience in a DC5 that could point me in the right direction

blueguy said:
If your engine mounts are fine, the best bang for your buck is to use engine mount inserts to stiffen them up. In the old days all inserts were from Energy Suspension. I don't know if other manufacturers have introduced them since.
Note, with stiffer engine mounts the cabin noise/vibration will pick up, but it does settle down after a while.
cheers mate

MrRy

Advanced Member
Wheel hop will mainly be caused by lower arm bushes perished, worn engine mounts, terrible tracking and finally crap / old tyre compound.

In my experience.

ferret

kazmo said:
or not driving like a tit will reduce wheel hop
come down off your high horse there mate,It was my first time driving the car in the rain and its got cheap Chinese tyres on the front. I plan on taking my car to the drag strip so I need to fix this problem. How am I expected to do a burn out to warm my tyres if I get wheel hop?

ferret

MrRy said:
Wheel hop will mainly be caused by lower arm bushes perished, worn engine mounts, terrible tracking and finally crap / old tyre compound.

In my experience.
cheers mate, the car is getting the tracking down next week along with new tyres. I jack it up later on and have a look at the lower arm bushings and engine mounts

Jvzr

Advanced Member
What ones did you go for Jason?

My wheel hop is ignorant. Iv had all the mounts and bushings checked, nothing worn etc.
I rarely if ever drive it on but i wouldnt mind doing them.

ferret

just the ones tegiwa sell, energy suspension i think. my wheel hop was crazy, but now it just spins smoothly and it doesn't increase the cabin vibrations that much. like you'd notice it but its not bad imo. if your doing it yourself(although I know that's not your style!!) make sure you have a 17mm ratchet spanner because it will save you so much hassle