Wheel wobble at 80 mph.

Alex_Wilson

Advanced Member
Hi guys,

My car between 70-80 whilst accelerating shakes.

I have had the wheels balanced and they are fine. Wheels are new and no damage.

Any ideas?

Thanks

Alex

Wingnuttzz

Advanced Member
First thing would be to check track rod ends, ball joints and bushes.

Jack the car up and grab the wheel and have a check.

CaLi

Vtec Yoooooooo
A while ago i had new tyres fitted and balanced and I had wheel shake at 70mph. I went elsewhere to have balance checked and they said it was way out, they rebalanced and it was perfect :)

Steve_DC5

Advanced Member
I would say wheels not balanced properly. Go someone that has a decent machine that can do bounce to.

Your wheel maybe slightly buckled.

Mark_teg

Staff member
I would say wheels not balanced properly. Go someone that has a decent machine that can do bounce to.

Your wheel maybe slightly buckled.

I agree with Steve, get them checked.

Fubar Andy

Advanced Member
Could be that the weights on the wheels might have come off...it happens now and again if they are not stuck on correctly!

Also daft but simple check, make sure the wheel nuts are tightened up!

maxvr6

Advanced Member
Mark_teg said:
I agree with Steve, get them checked.
Agree with these guys, get it double checked, i had a similar issue which went away since they were balanced again.

Also if you have aftermarket wheels, do they have/need spigot rings, and check nuts are all on tight.

Alex_Wilson

Advanced Member
Cheers guys. Like I say wheels are not very old and run straight when on the machine.

I'll get them double checked at another garage.

Wheel nuts are tight and spigot rings all in correctly.

jambo

Advanced Member
If it wobbles under acceleration it could be a driveshaft issue. Had it before at work.

Marshall-P

Advanced Member
I have just had the same problem after having my wheels re-balanced on Friday, the wheel wobble is horrendous back to the garage with those then.

jambo

Advanced Member
one thing to try is swap the wheels front to rear then see if the wheel wobble is still there. If the vibration can the be felt through the seat and car rather than the steering wheel you will def know ifs the wheel/tyre problem

Zani

Advanced Member
I've got steering wheel wobble at 80mph. I have a near side buckled wheel.

Marshall-P

Advanced Member
I thought about this too; however i had wheel wobble, then took them in for wheel respray, when i got it back no wobble, then it had to go back in from them to be redone and the wobble is back. Surely they would have noticed they were buckled?????

Zani

Advanced Member
Well you would hope a company who has wheels in to be sprayed would tell you prior to any work if they were buckled. But there are a few factors to think about.

- Light buckles can be balanced out so they would probably assume you wanted just to go ahead with it
- Some less honest companies will not turn away the work and so just go ahead with it any way.

I put my car on axle stands and had it idle in 3rd gear. That's an easy way to check yourself for buckles. But if you do that.. make sure the car is secure!

Marshall-P

Advanced Member
Got it back to them last week they had not put 5g on passenger wheel soon as I left instantly better.

Bernard777

I have this problem too mate think il get mine double checked too do you have the wobble under acceleration

Bernard777

jambo said:
one thing to try is swap the wheels front to rear then see if the wheel wobble is still there. If the vibration can the be felt through the seat and car rather than the steering wheel you will def know ifs the wheel/tyre problem