wheels stuck to the hub

Splink

Advanced Member
Upon deciding to replace my rear brakes, I sat down with all me tools, undid the rear wheel nuts, raised the car, tried to pull it off but no joy. Spent an hour on it trying to remove it to get at my rear brakes having to give up in the end because it was taking too long.

The only thing which i could see which would loosen them is going for a drive with the nuts off, but there is no way i am doing that. Any ideas?

Splink

Advanced Member
well i tried the rage bit, but no rubber mallet. I have some sore feet from kicking the hub too much though :)

Evs

Advanced Member
Just kick the tyre at the bottom, should be enough to do it. You need some leverage - I don't see the point of kicking it at the hub tbh :?

Splink

Advanced Member
im going to try this tomrrow, i had 2 hours scheduled in to do it this morning, after the neighbour chatting to me for a bit and then with it raining this morning here, kind messed up me morning so i was in a bit of a rush.

I did try hitting the tyre at the bottom a few times, but didnt hit it hard enough, i had visions of the car slipping off the jack :)

mikegsi

Staff member
a rubber mallet mate will be better than your feet, obv try not to batter the alloys themselves though!

AndyBITR

Advanced Member
Just re-iterate as above, rubber mallet, quite a bit of force working your way around the circumference of the wheel and avoid hitting the alloy. :!:

If you do get them off, make sure you put a smear of copper grease on the mating face of the alloy before you put them back on, and you'll not have this problem again!!! :idea:

Batfink

AndyBITR said:
Just re-iterate as above, rubber mallet, quite a bit of force working your way around the circumference of the wheel and avoid hitting the alloy. :!:

If you do get them off, make sure you put a smear of copper grease on the mating face of the alloy before you put them back on, and you'll not have this problem again!!! :idea:
I would go this way as well.