When a chain snaps!!

wj51fut

Advanced Member
So this happened to me yesterday on the motorway. Doing 80mph in the middle lane and then it was as if the key was turned!! The engine light came on and I obviously lost all power.

And the damage...

Seems to be something missing

You can see the shavings from the guides. These will need replacing too.

Oh! There it is!!

It's going to Weston now by the AA. Typical, about 3 miles from where I broke down. Hopefully a new chain, guides, tensioner and oil change will sort it out. But the garage has a bore scope to take a detailed look inside.

coyote_dc5

Administrator
Staff member
First time I've ever seen a k chain snap like this. Sorry to hear Adam :( surprised it didn't lock wheels, did you knock out of gear quickly or did it just die and coast in gear?

Sent from my Z10 using Tapatalk 2

wj51fut

Advanced Member
coyote_dc5 said:
First time I've ever seen a k chain snap like this. Sorry to hear Adam :( surprised it didn't lock wheels, did you knock out of gear quickly or did it just die and coast in gear?

Car just died. No lock up or crash bang noises. No jolts or shudders. Just as if the key had been turned. Then coasted to the hard shoulder. Can't remember what I did with the gears!!

It was changed 18 months ago along with new guides. They are messed up too.

coyote_dc5

Administrator
Staff member
Weakest link in everything is valve stem so it would have just folded them all as it pushed up against the cams unless somehow the design permits no interference. Will you know extent of damage today?

LiamGTR

Advanced Member
Nice to at least know that the whole engine doesn't just go bang and through the bonnet like everyone seems to think on here. I know every engine failure will be different but the amount of times I got told about the chains (Because I was coming up to 100k mi) it was if it was life or death for the car if they went.

Crazylegs

Advanced Member
Jesus Christ! Gutted for you man. Hopefully not too much damage has been done to the engine Adam. Fingers crossed for you.

integraleo

Advanced Member
So sorry to hear this mate,you are such a perfectionist too about everything on this car. I've lost track of all the pictures of oem honda parts being replaced too. But as this proves nothing is full proof. Hope you get it sorted soon

Mark_teg

Staff member
The ironic thing is if you'd not had it changed it would still be fine on the original :(

Sorry Adam but I think there's carnage inside, Pistons hitting valves. Could be easier to swap the engine.

adam.

Advanced Member
No-one wants to see that happen. :xalright:

Are the chains meant to be changed after x mileage?

LiamGTR

Advanced Member
adam. said:
No-one wants to see that happen. :xalright:

Are the chains meant to be changed after x mileage?
Apparently Honda advised people to change them at 100k but have since rescinded their statement.

Mark_teg

Staff member
LiamGTR said:
Apparently Honda advised people to change them at 100k but have since rescinded their statement.
I thought they were to be checked at 100k miles (for ep3). Surely the whole reason for the design and use of a chain is it should be an engine lifetime part / not require changing.

LiamGTR

Advanced Member
I honestly don't know Mark in all honest, it's just what I got told on here when I was enquiring about a 100k service. Was a while ago now.

hondamad2204

Advanced Member
It could happen to anyone though, this has been meticulously maintained yet it still happened, but there's always a first, and unfortunately it was to this one. :( I wouldn't let it put people off getting their chain changed. I had mine changed in February as it had to come off for the VTC gear to be changed. Seemed silly putting old back on. But yeah, mine had done over 140k on the original yet Tom said it was as tight as when it came from the factory. Just bad luck this time round. Hopefully its repairable, everything is crossed mate.

Topgeezer

Advanced Member
Any chance the chain was over tensioned? I'm asking that after looking at the shavings in one of the pics.

T.G.

Chewy

Advanced Member
This is awful, Sorry to hear chap.

Hope you can get it sorted without too much hassle, Such a beautiful example!

Leeteg1987

I've had a chain snap on me before, it was also a new chain the engine had just been rebuilt with forged internals and aftermarket cams. I was on dual carridge way when it happend same thing car just cut out and free wheeled to a stop. When I stripped engine I had two bent valves and and damaged the piston, also my guides where all chewed up.

coyote_dc5

Administrator
Staff member
Topgeezer said:
Any chance the chain was over tensioned? I'm asking that after looking at the shavings in one of the pics.

T.G.
Not sure it can be, the tensioner pushes against the side guide at a constant. It's not as though it's adjustable