Where does everyone stand with decats?

nails

Advanced Member
I notice some people are openly running decats, and if I ever want to remap mine, a decat and header are the only mods left to do.

My problems are, a decat invalidates your insurance and is not road legal. So in theory if you were in an accident, your insurance could refuse to pay out. Or even worse, you could be in a really serious accident where you or others are seriously hurt............then what? The other thing that could happen, is that you could get pulled over by the police, they see you have no cat and impound your car. It happened to a Skyline local to me recently.

I know these scenarios are fairly unlikely to happen, but is it worth the risk for an extra few bhp? Wouldn't a sports cat be a better option? Or are they not legal either?

I am just interested to get people's views on this because I will probably remap mine eventually.

Fez

Advanced Member
My decat/manifold is on my list of modifications on my insurance policy. Just tell them about it and you should be fine.

Reggie91

Advanced Member
As above. My mods are also on my insurance policy. Never heard of it invalidating your insurance? The only thing you might have an issue with is an MOT.

carl hammond

Advanced Member
My decat/manifold is on my list of modifications on my insurance policy. Just tell them about it and you should be fine.
As said here mines also declared on my list of moddifications, I don't actually think it's illegal to drive without one just can't pass an MOT without it on the car if I remember correctly, unless things have changed. But cars pre 1993 inclusive don't need them even for an MOT (I am sure I got the year right there as it related to the latest edition of the Pulsar GTI-R's, L reg) :)

kyle'87

Advanced Member
I'm not sure on the legality of a DECAT on the road.

The whole idea behind them is for emissions (I think), if the car was mapped well then put on an MOT machine and passed, is it still illegal, I don't know?

Really, we need someone from an insurance and policing perspective to chime in.

EDIT: Just to say, just because it is insured, doesn't mean it is legal on the road?

nails

Advanced Member
The law is this; if the car passes an emissions test, cat or no cat then it is legal. That's why insurance companies let you declare de cat pipes. However, in the small print of any insurance policy there will be something that says the car must be roadworthy, if you have a decat then in theory they could refuse to pay.

Also, most cars would fail an emissions test with a decat. If your car was tested at the roadside and failed you would have a non roadworthy car, which would mean that the Police could seize the vehicle and could give you a hefty fine and points..........

kyle'87

Advanced Member
nails said:
The law is this; if the car passes an emissions test, cat or no cat then it is legal. That's why insurance companies let you declare de cat pipes. However, in the small print of any insurance policy there will be something that says the car must be roadworthy, if you have a decat then in theory they could refuse to pay.

Also, most cars would fail an emissions test with a decat. If your car was tested at the roadside and failed you would have a non roadworthy car, which would mean that the Police could seize the vehicle and could give you a hefty fine and points..........
I think this is a pretty good summary, of all the googling I have just done in the last 15 minutes :xgrin:

A friend of mine lives in Milton Keynes and says that he and others have been stopped for an emissions test (He is running a Focus ST with a CAT).

I'm down south and have never heard of this happening down here.

I think it is basically a gamble, but a good map (not those that pop and bang on the overrun) should pass an MOT emissions test.

Grano

So, if you guys are running without a cat, do you have to refit it for a MOT? Here in New Zealand, we don't have emissions testing at all. As long as there is not excessive smoke from the exhaust, you are good to go :xlol:

carl hammond

Advanced Member
Grano said:
So, if you guys are running without a cat, do you have to refit it for a MOT? Here in New Zealand, we don't have emissions testing at all. As long as there is not excessive smoke from the exhaust, you are good to go :xlol:
Yeah you have to refit the cat for MOT's here :-(

MilanoChris

Advanced Member
I don't refit my cat for the MOT, just find friendly garage.

Been running decats for 10 years and never had an issue including with insurance claims.

Johngreen537

Advanced Member
Chris. said:
I don't refit my cat for the MOT, just find friendly garage.

Been running decats for 10 years and never had an issue including with insurance claims.
Same here. Given my car was written off twice this year and inspected by 2 different garages by 2 different 3rd party insturance companies....

Plus, they'd have to prove that the 'non roadworthy' part was a directr cause of the accident, just like a bald tyre. If it's not related, they'd have to spend a mint when you go to the ombusmand and then court if needs be.