Where to put an axle stand on dc5

carl hammond

Advanced Member
I have noticed one of my tyres going down over a couple of days, thought it was just low but over 3 days went form 30 to 10 psi so need to take the wheel to get it checked to see if the valves knackered or if its more. Where is best to put the axle stand to leave it elevated whilst the wheels off?

Thanks

Chewy

Advanced Member
If you're not using the space saver as above or driving the car to the garage (Assuming it's holding pressure enough for 3 days for you to drive to a local garage).

Best place I would suggest is putting the axle stand under the jacking point closest to the wheel in question.

carl hammond

Advanced Member
I could but was being lazy as could not be bothered to unscrew it etc form the boot, but this is a reason to get in and clean the boot lol...

Thanks guys

Chewy

Advanced Member
carl hammond said:
I could but was being lazy as could not be bothered to unscrew it etc form the boot, but this is a reason to get in and clean the boot lol...

Thanks guys
That's the spirit! haha.

Always worth getting in there and checking for water pooling and rust spots in the spare wheel recess which is quite common.

ChrisJDMDC5

Advanced Member
Chewy said:
That's the spirit! haha.

Always worth getting in there and checking for water pooling and rust spots in the spare wheel recess which is quite common.
On that note, whats the best way to sort a small amount of surface rust starting?

Chewy

Advanced Member
HellaaDope5 said:
On that note, whats the best way to sort a small amount of surface rust starting?
Depends on where it is sir.

If it's on the exterior body work I'd personally slap a bit of rust treatment on it (Hammerite Kurust for example) let it do it's thing and dry, then touch it up with paint just to try and seal it, then get yourself over to a bodyshop to get the job done properly before it spreads any further, as quickly as your wallet allows it.

If it's anywhere inside the car, Boot, under carpet, behind bumpers etc, I would sand the rusted area back to bare metal, rust treat said area after for added protection and then use a multi-stage kit such as POR15 in the colour of your choice to help prevent it coming back again.

Quite a few members have done this now with decent results, For a better Idea take a look half way down page 2 of my build thread (Link in my signature below) of when I did my boot.

Hope that helps.

ChrisJDMDC5

Advanced Member
Chewy said:
Depends on where it is sir.

If it's on the exterior body work I'd personally slap a bit of rust treatment on it (Hammerite Kurust for example) let it do it's thing and dry, then touch it up with paint just to try and seal it, then get yourself over to a bodyshop to get the job done properly before it spreads any further, as quickly as your wallet allows it.

If it's anywhere inside the car, Boot, under carpet, behind bumpers etc, I would sand the rusted area back to bare metal, rust treat said area after for added protection and then use a multi-stage kit such as POR15 in the colour of your choice to help prevent it coming back again.

Quite a few members have done this now with decent results, For a better Idea take a look half way down page 2 of my build thread (Link in my signature below) of when I did my boot.

Hope that helps.
Thanks a lot mate! It's just a small bit starting under the spare wheel in the boot..

I'll definitley be getting on to this ASAP while it's garaged for the winter!

I'll check out your build thread! Sounds easy enough.

Chewy

Advanced Member
HellaaDope5 said:
Thanks a lot mate! It's just a small bit starting under the spare wheel in the boot..

I'll definitley be getting on to this ASAP while it's garaged for the winter!

I'll check out your build thread! Sounds easy enough.
Good man! Hope it goes well for you!

At a guess it'll be a scab forming on the inner rim/recess where the spare wheels sits (On the right hand side if you're stood facing the boot.) ? Seen quite a few with this now.

ChrisJDMDC5

Advanced Member
Chewy said:
Good man! Hope it goes well for you!

At a guess it'll be a scab forming on the inner rim/recess where the spare wheels sits (On the right hand side if you're stood facing the boot.) ? Seen quite a few with this now.

It's actually not there, it's on the floor just in front of where the screw goes in towards the back of the car! I've checked on rainy days and no water seems to get in though

Apologies for going off on a tangent!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

carl hammond

Advanced Member
Well I found the issue

Luckily only the main one in the centre actually penetrated and so has been fixed

carl hammond

Advanced Member
Yeah tell me about it as no one had this tyre in stock so I was lucky it could be repaired and now I can order replacements ASAP lol