Which camcorder?

g-zone

Advanced Member
Ok, so what camcorders to people use for trackdays (windscreen mounted)? I've given a friends Hi-8 camcorder a try, but it doesn't like bumps and vibrations too much. It also doesn't pick up the engine sound too well.

Suggestions anyone?

mikegsi

Staff member
my mate has one that we used on saturday, the picture quality is perfect, he has it windscreen mounted on some sort of sucker, its a little tape one rather than a dvd one if you know what i mean, i'll try and find out off him

g-zone

Advanced Member
Cheers. Yeah I mounted mine using the sucker mount that you can get from b-hague (which is actually a manfrotto). I'm probably after a MiniDV based recorder with a good image stabiliser.

mikegsi

Staff member
dont know then matey!

if you find a good on elet me know im thinking of getting one too :D

Splink

Advanced Member
I have a Sony DCR Pc330 and its ace for doing vids like that.

Ill do a video of me driving one of the days and ill upload it somewhere.

mikegsi

Staff member
is the dv one the one that records onto a mini dvd?

ive got just under 4gig of footage from my trackday on a dvd, some of me in it and a session when its in my car! (bit of choice language in that one!)
it was in the honda r (paying members of revolutions forum, of which i'm not!) session so loads of other hondas there...

could chop it up and host it if i knew how!

iDrew

Advanced Member
I use a Panasonic NV-GS50 :wink:

Has a vibration stabiliser and also wind noise reduction (cue the fart jokes) :p

Records onto mini-dv tapes.

I'll upload a small vid if you want :wink:

T666YPR

iDrew said:
Has a vibration stabiliser and also wind noise reduction (cue the fart jokes) :p
OK :D

The missus has a "rabbit" that vibrates a lot and tends to bring on a bout of windy pops!! :wink:

Back to cameras:

Franz had one for sale not too long back,don't know if he still has it or if it's sold.

g-zone

Advanced Member
iDrew said:
I use a Panasonic NV-GS50 :wink:

Records onto mini-dv tapes.

I'll upload a small vid if you want :wink:
Hmmm, the Panny looks like a good contender. Yes I'd be interested in a vid! :)

ps2london

Advanced Member
any mini DV cam will do the job! all the lastest model with true wide screen is better. or add the wide angle len. But remember to switch OFF the auto forcus and hand shake function, then the footage will look more natural and fast :)