Which Coilovers?

Chris-141

Advanced Member
Have mugen suspension in the dc5 I just bought but want to be able to adjust the height so looking to buy a really good Coilover with a budget of about £1000

Looking at buddyclub n+ etc..

Seen hks ones aswel but unsure where to get them if they are even still made?

Always had xyz in all my other type r's

Thanks

RE Spirit

Parts Trader
Think everyone has their own preference as to which coilovers suit them and their own style of driving.

We do Buddyclub, Eibach's and BC Racing, should you need any :)

Alexander0628

Advanced Member
I had a problem with one of my shocks recently, looked at coilovers most people seem to highly rate the eibachs, but all depends on what you use the car for.

blueguy

Resident J's whore
If you want a road/track coilover that's more biased for road, then get the Eibachs IMO.
I have Nitrons which are awesome but I rate the Eibachs so highly that I still have mine in case I want to go back to a road biased setup.

beppe786

Beppe
get BC racing from RE spirit they have damping adjustment to.. cheaper too

im gonna get them soon..

i had Eibach's pro streets on another teg i didnt like them.. couldnt get traction staight line and on country road was too jumpy set too hard no adjustment more for corners/track

Chris-141

Advanced Member
I had bc on my ek9 and they were the worst Coilover iv ever used, tho I think I might just stick with what I know and buy another set of xyz Coilovers, iv used them in all my ep3's but wanted to see what else was out there

blueguy

Resident J's whore
If you found the pro street jumpy, you will find BC racing even more so.

Steve_DC5

Advanced Member
I have Buddyclub N+ pretty decent - and I am usually not a fan of coilovers
I had BC Racing on my EK9 - took them off after 4days, were total shite!

blueguy

Resident J's whore
beppe786 said:
anyone using bc racing on an dc5?

thought you could adjust them up to how you wanted them..
Adjustable coilovers are still dependent on their spring rate, damper construction, and internal shim setup amongst other things, not to mention the quality of construction.
I purposely didn't rate the product but as people have started chiming in already, BC Racing coilovers really do not have a great reputation on here. A fair few have had them over the years and more or less everyone has said they are not good at all to put it mildly.

You can only adjust what you have to start with. People often make the mistake of thinking 'adjustable' can make a harsh or badly specced coilover suitable for the road. That is very much not the case.

Wingnuttzz

Advanced Member
BC (not BuddyClub) Ksport, D2 are all the same not very well regarded.

BuddyClub, Miester R all get good reviews.

Personally I'm about to order some HSD coil overs to replace my HKS ones.

Crazylegs

Advanced Member
I've got Tein Monoflex on mine. Personally not a fan of coilovers, for that sort of money you could net yourself some Eibach springs and better dampers. Bilstein would be ideal but they don't list them for the DC5, might be worth contacting them to see if they can do a custom dampers set up for your car.

dave c

400hp K20
If you can stretch the budget and its road driving you want to do then the eibach coilovers are perfect. I used to have some more race bred coilovers (ohlins) and they were terrible on the twisty a / b roads.

beppe786

Beppe
blueguy said:
Adjustable coilovers are still dependent on their spring rate, damper construction, and internal shim setup amongst other things, not to mention the quality of construction.
I purposely didn't rate the product but as people have started chiming in already, BC Racing coilovers really do not have a great reputation on here. A fair few have had them over the years and more or less everyone has said they are not good at all to put it mildly.

You can only adjust what you have to start with. People often make the mistake of thinking 'adjustable' can make a harsh or badly specced coilover suitable for the road. That is very much not the case.
thanks good info.. as i was gonna go with bc racing.. not now

davidpingu

Advanced Member
Crazylegs said:
I've got Tein Monoflex on mine. Personally not a fan of coilovers, for that sort of money you could net yourself some Eibach springs and better dampers. Bilstein would be ideal but they don't list them for the DC5, might be worth contacting them to see if they can do a custom dampers set up for your car.
You can get ep3 bilstein dampers to fit the DC5. I don't know of anyone running them to review how they are but having looked up eibach pro street coilovers vs the bilstein damper and matched spring kits on google amongst other types of car owners its about a 50:50 split in opinion on which people think are better.

As said at the outset of the topic, everyone has different preferences but I think I'm edging towards the eibach's when the time comes as its reassuring to see just how many owners on here rate them for road use which is what I'm after for my daily.

Wingnuttzz

Advanced Member
I think the Bilstein B8's would be great, however I'm not convinced they would be ideally set up for our chassis, with different dampening and rebound properties...

Obviously you could DC5 springs, but I'm sure Honda made the shocks not a straight swap for a reason, i.e they are different...

dave c

400hp K20
surprised no-ones mentioned AST's aren't they meant to be road focused but still fully adjustable?