Which nuts do I need for the studs on the cat to b pipe. Desperate

MissMyDC2

Advanced Member
Hi all,

So last night tried to fit my mugen exhaust and it was a nightmare. Every but and bolt was rusted solid. Managed to get the back box of my cutting the bolts and then even worse was the cat studs. They look to be spotted on, had to cut off the bolts in the end with a little damage to the threads :( wouldn't usually be an issue but then marrying up the b pipe and the flange is much thicker than standard leaving little exposed thread. I tried some standard M8 nits but the thread doesn't seem as fine and don't want to go forcing it on given my thread or lack off.

Anyone have the part number for the nuts or description?

Was up till 11 in thunderstorms last night swearing at it! Now I have no car for work!

Daft I know

Rom

Advanced Member
I'd just cut the studs completely off, smack the remainder through with a hammer and punch.
Then use new nuts and bolts.

hondamad2204

Advanced Member
As above. You can get all the parts from any local Honda dealer for a couple of quid. Part numbers are in the parts numbers thread. Alternatively eBay / tegiwa to name but a few will also have them.
If you go into Honda, have your chassis number ready, and they should be able to print off an exploded diagram of your exhaust system with all the part numbers etc you could wish for.

MissMyDC2

Advanced Member
Cheers for the input chaps.

Just finished up and managed to get some nice stainless bolts onto it, very gently quarter turn at a time whilst clamping the nuts and flanges, oo er.

Once everything lined up i managed to get plenty of bite in on the threads which is lucky.

Just took her out for a quick spin and the sound is lovely. Will check again in a few days for any signs of leaking/black marks and maybe tweak them in a bit more but all seems well so far.

Worst case as you say the grinder is coming out along with a punch. I did try honda but got the usual err think we know what they are but will have to order them in... No good when the car is off the road.

Phelpo711

Advanced Member
I hope you never intend to take them back off - Using stainless nuts/bolts on an exhaust system with the expansion and contraction is asking for trouble (Threads picking up!!!). I just cut mine off, drilled them out and got some coated carbon steel ones. (At least with these i can always shear them if they dont undo!)

At least you got it on mate!

MissMyDC2

Advanced Member
Phelpo711 said:
I hope you never intend to take them back off - Using stainless nuts/bolts on an exhaust system with the expansion and contraction is asking for trouble (Threads picking up!!!). I just cut mine off, drilled them out and got some coated carbon steel ones. (At least with these i can always shear them if they dont undo!)

At least you got it on mate!
I think the next time they need to come off they are coming off for good and will involve my grinder and disk!

Rom

Advanced Member
I use any old bolts i have in my tool box. They dont need to be from Honda.

Phelpo711

Advanced Member
Rom said:
I use any old bolts i have in my tool box. They dont need to be from Honda.
I agree, I work in an engineering environment so have plenty of suitable bits and pieces at hand on the sly haha!

donzooo

Advanced Member
Don't use stainless bolts. Threads are more likely to sieze even in normal applications and they are twice as hard to cut off than regular coated steel.

Basically, I only use stainless in industrial applications where I know they aren't going to be coming back off.

MissMyDC2

Advanced Member
I used stainless nuts and bolts on the back box. Plenty of space to slip in a grinder if needed.
Stainless nuts only on the cat to existing studs. Will grind them off from the back and punch them out if needed.

But,, the Mugen sounds lovely so dont think it will be coming off any time soon! Also the straight through B pipe helps give it a nice note and a bonus of a little more ground clearance :)

Any one need an OEM Exhaust?