which oil to use

cjh1981

Advanced Member
Hi guys,

Im after some advice regarding topping my oil up. I have only had the car for a month and is not due a service for another 5000miles. I noticed my oil was a but low, what oil do you guys think would be best to top it up as i have no idea of what oil is in there to begin with basically what is the safe bet?

cheers
Chris

CHALKIE

Proud to be C/W.
Hi guys,

Im after some advice regarding topping my oil up. I have only had the car for a month and is not due a service for another 5000miles. I noticed my oil was a but low, what oil do you guys think would be best to top it up as i have no idea of what oil is in there to begin with basically what is the safe bet?

cheers
Chris

Chris fail. =D> Fancy a search? C'mon man. :rolleyes:

cjh1981

Advanced Member
Chris fail. =D> Fancy a search? C'mon man. :rolleyes:
lol i see your point. I have searched and found what oil to use when i service it but I wanted opinions if it would of be ok to use say fully synthetic 5w 40 just to top it up until i service with what ever is in there at the moment.

leejw87

Spoon Whore
5w40 will be fine to top it up, other than that you could drain the remaining amount out and put in completely fresh oil.

C&S Evo7

Administrator
Staff member
sadly you shouldnt mix fully synth with non synth, if you dont know whats in there i would just bite the bullet and do a quick oil change, the k20 is a high performance engine that needs to be kept in decent condition.

oilman

Authorised Advertiser
It's fine to mix synthetic and semi-synthetic, pretty much all oils mix.

C&S Evo7

Administrator
Staff member
really? i've always been told its not :-(

in the example above what would you do? if you have no idea of the oil thats in the engine.

oilman

Authorised Advertiser
I'd add a decent 5w-40 or 10w-40, full synthetic preferably, but a semi will do.

http://www.opieoils.co.uk/c-656-5w-40.aspx

Out of those, the best ones are the Fuchs/Silkolene Pro S, Millers CFS, Motul 300V, Redline and Gulf Competition. The Motul 8100 X-Cess, Millers XFS, Fuchs Supersyn, Shell Helix and Mobil Super 3000 are good, cheaper alternatives.

Cheers

Tim

leejw87

Spoon Whore
really? i've always been told its not :-(

in the example above what would you do? if you have no idea of the oil thats in the engine.
As said by oil man certain oils can be mixed. peugeot & citroen who i work for authorise mixing of oils as long as there like for like (fully sythetic, Part Sythetic, Mineral etc)

The only cars that cannot be mixed with different oil is cars with Particle Filters or Multi-Air systems which will require certain oils and grades and cannot under any circumstances be mixed or would invalidate the warranty, im sure other manufacterers have this policy aswell.

if it was my car for whats its worth i would just change the oil, quick 10 minute job and you got yourself some fresh lube :lol:

firthy22

Advanced Member
Just bite the bullet and do a complete oil change. For the cost of it I wouldn't even consider mixing oils. Get the Fuchs Pro 5w-40 and an oil filter from Opie Oils and change every 6 months and you'll have a healthy engine.

cjh1981

Advanced Member
cheers guys for your replies much appreciated. i think an oil change it is then, I will give Opie Oils a bell tomorrow and go from there.

CHALKIE

Proud to be C/W.
I wouldn't. But I know nothing about oils. :D

I'd drain and refill with a good 'fully synthetic',oil. But thats just me. O:)