Which Springs for road use

I,ve changed the jap tyres for Eagle F1's and this has made the ride on our terrible Gloucestershire roads better, however I do want to put on some softer springs, I.ve read many views and nearly decided to go for Eibach Pro-Kit springs which also lowers the car 25mm. Anyone been using the Pro-Kits for a while?

MJ Type-R

Advanced member
Hi Martin

I know what ya mean about our roads around here m8.

I'm on spoon progressive, had the other pro kit, not as good as the spoon's in my opinion

Mike

jonster

Advanced Member
I'm really happy with my Spoon progressives too. Great for the road and the track.

Jon

Splink

Advanced Member
I got Tein RS coilovers on mine, makes the car mega low, however, it is a little harder than normal. Prolly a little too hard for most people i imagine. Saying that, I have a smooth country ride to work and back in the morning so it dont bother me that much.

Zero7

Advanced Member
Does the car actually roll less on the spoon than the standard springs? I find the standard car set-up a little skitish on our roads and wondered if the spoon springs would sort this out whilst retaining the firmness in the body.

jonster

Advanced Member
Hi Zero7,

I found there certainly isn't any more roll than stock (more likely less). The have a more supple ride than the stock springs and bite down and do the business on hard cornering (ie on the track). They do feel a bit spongy when you first fit them for a while until the bed down.

I'm still chuffed with mine and don't plan to change them.

Jon

Zero7

Advanced Member
I put eibach springs on my old DC2 and these made a hell of a difference, prior to fitting these the small plastic mud falp used to scrape the floor when cornering, these pretty much elimiated that :)

However, I don't mind the hardness in ride on the DC5, in fact I quite like it, it sort of reminds me of my EVO I once owned, but I am wondering how effective the stock springs are on these roads, the car does feel a little skitish and really does tram line a heck of a lot.

Zero7

Advanced Member
One other questions, are the Spoon springs the same length as the standard springs or do the drop the car lower?

If it does drop the car then surley the shock is working out of it's range and shorten the life of the shock.

Unnamed_warrior

Advanced Member
If you just want to lower the car and have a stiffer ride then go for Spoons.. I use to have those and found them really really great.. but as I started to do more trackdays I wanted more control on my ride height and stiffness, so I bought TEIN HA's.. the only thing I will say about TEINS is the top mounts are very noisey... Great on the track.. but on these REALLY BAD UK roads they are not nice to drive with..

So go for Spoons or Eibachs .. personnally I don't think there is much between them apart from price..

UW

scaryprowler

Advanced Member
I've got the Eibachs... they're a great stiffer ride and drop the car by about 25-30mm - which makes for leaner cosmetic look too.

Go see Tom @ TGM... he'll prolly have them in stock and can fit them too xthumbup

Zero7

Advanced Member
scaryprowler said:
I've got the Eibachs... they're a great stiffer ride and drop the car by about 25-30mm - which makes for leaner cosmetic look too.

Go see Tom @ TGM... he'll prolly have them in stock and can fit them too xthumbup
Thanks, but as my above posting questions, do they do any long term dange ot the standard shocks.

jonster

Advanced Member
I would say not. I've had mine for over a year and a half now and their find. I can't remeber if it's Spoon or Mugen, but the sport suspension they sell uses the stock dampers with their own springs and sells them as sport suspension package.

Jon

Zero7

Advanced Member
OK, I'm going to go for a set of progressive springs, has anyone compared the spoon against the eibach in terms of performance offering? are there any other springs available for the DC5 which should be on my shortlist?

DC5Ken

Tanabe!!! Some of you might know I got my car from Dixon, and I was thinking about to get a full set of coilover, but then he told me unless you want to go on track a set of spring will work great on road, so then I got set Tanabe GF210, very firm ride, great steering feel, very comfy in motorway. I don't know what the Spoon or Eibach feel like but I think the Tanabe is one of the Best Spring you can buy.

Zero7

Advanced Member
Thanks for the info on your springs, have you compared these against the standard car? If so how would you describe the difference between the two.

Anyone else running on Tanabe springs?

DC5Ken

Mmm, the GF210 are not much stiffer than the stock one, but its gave you a very secure feeling when you go round a corner. Very stable and comfy springs. I bought it about 2-3months ago for £280.

I've just fitted Eibacks with std dampers, lower the car about 1" . The ride is great for road use compared with the stock springs and the handling much improved especially on rough roads. The f1 tyres are help comaired with the Jap tyres.