Whining Noise - Opinions needed.

Todd_77

Advanced Member
Some of you may have read the thread regarding my clutch problems a month ago, where my release bearing completely shattered. This lead to a new clutch kit.

Everything was fine after the new clutch was fitted. A few nights ago I realised there is a slight "whining" noise coming from the car when the clutch is not pressed. When the clutch is pressed this noise disappears. Its not a loud noise by any means but it is noticeable and has never done before with either clutches, new or old.

While driving, around 5k RPM the whining noise is noticeable. Im sure it gets worse in VTEC but with the J's system it is impossible to hear.

The car drives fine. No issues at all. Any ideas what this could be causing the noise?

RichA

Advanced Member
I noticed this on mine when I had the plastic around the shifter removed, my clutch has only seen about 5000 miles and works perfectly, I wouldn't worry too much

Todd_77

Advanced Member
RichA said:
I noticed this on mine when I had the plastic around the shifter removed, my clutch has only seen about 5000 miles and works perfectly, I wouldn't worry too much
Mine hasn't seen 1000 miles yet. Just very noticeable when up the revs. Strange it didn't do it from the start. Hate weird noises coming from the car!

samwelltrademarked

Advanced Member
Don't worry too much buddy.... If it's piece of mind.... I worried so much over a similar problem I shelled out for bearings and seals for the box, new clutch and release bearing.... The whining sometimes points to the input shaft bearing in the box.... I had mine done and a lot of money later.... Yes it was quieter... But guess what... Was still noticeable slightly.... Some fresh mtf might help chap.... I really wouldn't worry..... Don't jump the gun like I did.... If it really does start getting a lot louder then fair enough.... But chill...... I know exactly how your ears a tune to certain noises.....music up! Lol

MissMyDC2

Advanced Member
Mine does the same. More noticeable when cold and less so when warm.
I think half of the DC5 noises are just due to there being little or no sound proofing. You notice more clunks, rattles, whines than other cars.

I have give up worrying until something gets really loud or breaks :)

truupR

Advanced Member
I've got a really similar whining sound coming from mine, and has been for ages! Mine sounds like a turbo spooling up when in 3rd and 4th and putting your foot flat down between 3k and 5k revs.

I got so paranoid over it I booked it in to TGM for a new input shaft bearing and new clutch. Tom took a drive in the car before the work, came back and said it didn't sound anything like a sinister input shaft bearing and I shouldn't worry at all (still got a new clutch :xgrin: )

So as the others have stated, I'm not going to start worrying until something actually becomes noticeably wrong with the performance/drive-ability of the car.

Todd_77

Advanced Member
Thanks for all the quick responses.

Great to hear its nothing major. Took the car a drive today and the noise wasn't noticeable at all.

Todd_77

Advanced Member
Had a thought earlier...

Would the type of oil in the gearbox make a huge difference to the noise?

I have always used MTF 3 gearbox oil. Never any noise.

When the mechanic replaced the clutch he changed the gearbox oil. There could be the chance MTF 3 was not used.