White tyre lettering

Crazylegs

Advanced Member
Hi all,

I should be getting some RE070's next month and I love the white tyre lettering you see nowadays however my wheels are gloss white so I was thinking they may perhaps look a tad silly if I go with white lettering, or do people think it would look ok?

The other thing as well that worries me is they're OEM wheels so I was thinking as they're not an aftermarket wheel the white lettering might look a bit naff?

What do people think? It would be the words 'Bridgestone Potenza' I would be painting white.

Thanks.

spooke

Advanced Member
Paint doesn't last, you can get stick on lettering... as you say on OEM wheels it will look quite out of place.

Alexander0628

Advanced Member
I think it looks ace tbh mate, once it starts wearing away looks abit naff but freshly done im all for it, might do it again this year at some point, why the hell not, couple of pens off eBay, take the wheels off to do it tho as it makes it loads Easyer.

Re070s on oem wheels

(Edited for Dave haha)

dave7368

Advanced Member
Alexander0628 said:
I think it looks ace tbh mate, once it starts wearing away looks abit naff but freshly done im all for it, might do it again this year at sock point, why the hell not, couple of pens off eBay, take the wheels off to do it tho as it makes it loads Easyer.
is sock point some kind of meet i've not heard of before? ;)

mine will be done when the time comes also...

Crazylegs

Advanced Member
spooke said:
Paint doesn't last, you can get stick on lettering... as you say on OEM wheels it will look quite out of place.
Was thinking that myself but after seeing Alexander's below, it looks really smart but on black alloys though so it stands out more.

Alexander0628 said:
I think it looks ace tbh mate, once it starts wearing away looks abit naff but freshly done im all for it, might do it again this year at some point, why the hell not, couple of pens off eBay, take the wheels off to do it tho as it makes it loads Easyer.

Re070s on oem wheels
Really like it against the black wheels! Looks really cool.

I've actually bought a couple of Sharpie white oil based pens already in preparation but been having second thoughts about them but this has helped changed my mind again ha ha!

Found this website for doing them, will apply them before putting the tyres on the car as should be easier.

Did it take you a while, also what did you use as paint?

TyperItr

Advanced Member
Hmmm i was on the fence on this one but i actually like the ones on the VW link you posted. May be worth a shot to see how it looks, cheap mod that can easily be removed.

Crazylegs

Advanced Member
They do look good, the one the lad has done on the VW looks cracking and that is what I am aiming for.

I think with the RE070's, the writing is quite large which also helps. And that combined with the nice tyre tread pattern looks really smart imo.

Alex's above looks good.

Saint Matt

Advanced Member
IMO it looks crap on road tyres, the letters are too small. Proper tyres on race cars only for me.

BenLAST

Advanced Member
Theyre talking about this on the VW forum I use, some pictures they've put up it looks quality, but mostly on a mk4 Golf is looks a bit shit.

I'm thinking to do my RE070's with a yellow pen but I don't have the patience to do 4 wheels let along keep it topped up haha

Alexander0628

Advanced Member
I just used a white paint pen, can't remember the make. But it stated for tyre marking, lasted about a two months and could of used a second coat. be worth looking into the stickers if they do a set.

Took me about half a day, as I removed the wheels and cleaned, sealed them while I was at it.

Should still look good with white wheels like you said the re070 have nice big writing not like some other road tyres.

Do it dude just make sure it's dry before you drive it obvisly.

Crazylegs

Advanced Member
BenLAST said:
Theyre talking about this on the VW forum I use, some pictures they've put up it looks quality, but mostly on a mk4 Golf is looks a bit excrement.

I'm thinking to do my RE070's with a yellow pen but I don't have the patience to do 4 wheels let along keep it topped up haha
Alexander0628 said:
I just used a white paint pen, can't remember the make. But it stated for tyre marking, lasted about a two months and could of used a second coat. be worth looking into the stickers if they do a set.

Took me about half a day, as I removed the wheels and cleaned, sealed them while I was at it.

Should still look good with white wheels like you said the re070 have nice big writing not like some other road tyres.

Do it dude just make sure it's dry before you drive it obvisly.
Thanks guys,

I am going to press ahead with it as I think they look pretty cool on Potenza's. If it was a different tyre I perhaps wouldn't do it.

C & S Evo (Si) has posted a link to some stickers from America somewhere else on the forum but they're very pricey but do stay on a while, longer than paint does so it's another way forward for people who are keen on doing it but I'm going to stick with white paint on mine as I'm unsure how the yellow would look against the white wheels and blue car. I also think painted directly on/into the tyre looks better than the sticker lettering. My opinion of course!

I will be doing them before they go on the car so hopefully won't take me a day to do ha ha! I'm going to take my time on them though and give them a few coats.

BenLAST

Advanced Member
Post some pictures up once you've done the Potenza's, might make me actually do it! And to be fair its about time I took the wheels off for a deep clean and seal.

I've got Bronze works on CW car, so yellow should work well lol

Crazylegs

Advanced Member
sheeraz19823 said:
Go for yellow writing. Reckon will look better on OEM wheels
BenLAST said:
Post some pictures up once you've done the Potenza's, might make me actually do it! And to be fair its about time I took the wheels off for a deep clean and seal.

I've got Bronze works on CW car, so yellow should work well lol
Not sure, trying to picture it but I will likely stay with white. I will do mate, will get some pics of them once they're done and when they're on the car.

Won't be until early Feb as I don't get paid until the 26th of Jan and need to order them first.

Mark_teg said:
How about using this stuff?

What, to correct my mistakes ha ha!

Tip Ex would take ages to apply. Mind you so would a pen ha ha.