Who’s running itb’s and your thoughts

Plasmapants

So I just wanted to ask who‘s running itb‘s and what are you thoughts using them as a weekend car / daily / or track focused . I don‘t really need to hear I‘ll be better off with a rbc or Rrc etc as I have an order in . apart from setting up vacuum is there anything else I need to consider changing for the setup to work . I have a kpro which will be mapped when all the mods are complete . I have scoured the forum but can find a lot of information . Thanks Lee 👍

Chewy

Advanced Member
It's a good move. The best N/A TB/Inlet set up available.

Ensure where you're going for mapping is competent and experienced in ITB's, TDI North or EFI for example, as this is key. A poor map or error in balancing the shaft/butterfly valves will end up in a heap of running issues.

As for basic requirements, assuming your ITB's include all the necessary additional vacuum lines and TPS (Penny and Giles for example) supporting exhaust modifications would be beneficial (Free flowing full decat system) and obviously an appropriately sized filter/airbox giving at least 30mm clearance between the trumpets and filter so you don't lose out on power due to choking them or not circulating/directing the air quick enough.

Also depending on your chosen ITB's you'll need to take into consideration the PAS pump clearance, As this will need to be either relocated or filter/backing plate modified to fit around it.

In terms of daily driving don't expect OEM drivability at all times, ITB's demand constant fuel/air in terms of they're almost on or off, so cruising at lower speeds where you want to maintain a constant 30/40mph say, they can feel somewhat lumpy or hesitant wanting you to either plant your foot and progress or lift off the throttle and decelerate. Don't confuse this with part throttle, as long as there is progressive throttle input either way, you won't notice any difference and it'll be smooth as silk.

Fuel consumption is also another one to note, OEM mixed driving would see 330 miles to a tank, ITB's 250 miles...But make of that what you will.

I personally use mine as a weekend/track car, but this isn't necessarily due to the ITB's this is more because of the stupid solid engine mounts, 3" exhaust and my personal circumstances.

As a occasional use weekend toy, it's great fun, I mean the sound track alone is worth it.

As a track car I've not ran into any issues thankfully, however my current experience only runs as far as a handful of track days. I'll be looking into additional cooling/heat management (Ducting, radiator baffle, etc)but at the end of the day that's just best practice.

I'm by no means an expert and can only talk from my own personal experiences so far, but happy to help answer any question as best I can. :)

Plasmapants

Thank you for taking the time to write such a detailed experience. You have spelt out pretty much what I wanted to hear. I will give you some idea of what I have planned .
I have ordered toda itbs with 33mm trumpets and the dry carbon surge tank . I also have a j‘s racing air box so my plan it to channel the air using that without the filter but using the filter socks for the trumpets . I should be able to use my original injectors with the toda and the p/s pump should be able to be left alone . I have a full free flowing exhaust so I‘m good there . When I fit them I‘ll need to work out where to grab the vacumm from ( brake booster ? To vacuum block and share off from there ? ) is it possible to use the oem TPS or do I need aftermarket ?
Mapping ! I have not decided on who yet as this will be the cars 1st map but I need to email romain as he will most likely be the closest to me and to see if he has a base map to get me to the rollers. Again thanks chewy , would like to come and visit you and your car sometime and see your setup

Chewy

Advanced Member
You're welcome dude, Sorry for the delayed reply.

Excellent choice of ITB's, can't go wrong with Toda!

From my personal experience without the use of a surge tank, I started off temporarily with socks on the trumpets and found they really strangle them (Changing to a domed sausage filter as I'd originally planed saw improvements across the whole range). I'd imagine the Toda tank is specifically designed to allow the optimum air flow/distribution direct from the tank, so first things first drop the socks idea altogether, one thing we know is ITB's need copious amount of air, so a filtered feed of air from further along the line will be your best bet.

Using the J's racing intake is a good idea for channeling air, however historically these haven't proven to be the best intake available making a good amount of power less than alternatives such as the Gruppe M or a cold air intakes (obviously this is just my opinion, If I were to put myself in your shoes, that's something I'd consider) but best to speak to Romain about it.

Personally, If i was to use a surge tank, I'd run a custom short arm intake with a direct air feed from the bumper/bonnet etc to really force air in using the shortest possible route.

Even with the open sausage filter I'm currently using I plan on running multiple lengths of ducting to feed in as much cool air as possible.

Original injectors will be fine, and great news the Toda's avoid any unnecessary P/S Pump relocations.

As for the vacuum lines I can't really advise as I didn't install them myself, Next time I'm out fettling I'll have a look see what they've done, better still have a gander yourself :) It's always great meeting like minded people!