Who has riggid collars?

jrscho

Advanced Member
Just wondering who has them fitted and noticed a big improvement driving and handling? Looking to buy them in the future, from reading about them looks like a huge improvement but not sure if it is..

Also who has Tegiwa ones or spoon ones? Want to see what's the difference in the two!

Just that I noticed Tegiwa has 4 in a pack, and spoon is about 4tines more expensive but have alot more in a pack..

Cheers!

jrscho

Advanced Member
Crazylegs said:
The shirts I wear for work have got rigid collars. Lol

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk
No way, how's the handling? I take it they make you work harder and do things more precise :p

hondamad2204

Advanced Member
WJ51 FUT Gok had them fitted to his....but he's away for a few weeks so unless he's really bored he might check the forum. Lol
I know he had other stuff changed at the same time so I remember him saying it certainly felt firmer, but then he didn't have his car for a fair few weeks so wether it was a placebo from driveing soft cars for some time, or if they do make the difference im not sure. He will give you a fair review though, just have to wait abit. :)

It certainly felt firm but he also has Mugen shocks so them themselves are fairly stiff compared to OEM.

Wingnuttzz

Advanced Member
I fitted Tegiwa ones to my car when polybushing it. Unable to say if I noticed a difference but if did make dropping the subframe a lot easier as I knew it wasn't going to through the alignment off.

spooke

Advanced Member
I had some Tegiwa ones fitted, to be honest I wish I went for the Blox or Spoon Sports set as they are lipped on both sides to sit inside the subframe and the chassis. Whereas the Tegiwa only sit in the subframe - how much of a difference this makes though? I believe also the Blox and Spoon Sports get compressed when installed - not sure if the Tegiwa ones do this too?

Personally I got them for alignment sake and I can't really say for certain that it feels 'tighter' or anything... but for the cost they do the job for aligning it.

Fez

Advanced Member
I fitted them to my old ek, i dont think theres meant to be so much of a 'feel' but more for stopping your subframe being knocked out when hitting kerbs on track, potholes on the road etc. After fitting them my alignment was never knocked out. So yes they did help in that way.

And i have just ordered some for my DC5, i wanted the Spoon's, but couldn't justify £160? For a few bits of metal so i bought the Swmotorsports ones for like £35? Or something, for that sort of money, totally worth it imho!

jrscho

Advanced Member
Jimmer said:
WJ51 FUT Gok had them fitted to his....but he's away for a few weeks so unless he's really bored he might check the forum. Lol
I know he had other stuff changed at the same time so I remember him saying it certainly felt firmer, but then he didn't have his car for a fair few weeks so wether it was a placebo from driveing soft cars for some time, or if they do make the difference im not sure. He will give you a fair review though, just have to wait abit. :)

It certainly felt firm but he also has Mugen shocks so them themselves are fairly stiff compared to OEM.
I did ask him but as his car wasn't properly set up and aligned yet he couldn't give me a proper review yet!

And interesting guys... Just wondering if it's worth it for spoon ones..

Was talking to Jono and he has spd subframe lock up kit and he said theyre basically the same! Didn't know it's the same, my car already has the spd lock up kit. Unsure if it's meant to improve handling by a lot but thought it could as less movement etc, although my allignemt seems to come out sometimes.. So no idea lol

wj51fut

Advanced Member
Ahem...

I currently have the front ones fitted to mine. The car does feel firmer in the bends but as mentioned this could be a number of component parts working together. Although the rigid collars were fitted after the Mugen shocks and Spoon springs.

I got them on their group buy. Wouldn't have bought them otherwise. They look a cracking kit though. Well made.

Once my car is fully aligned I will let you know from a dry days driving.

If you watch the YouTube video on the rigid collars it will give you a better understanding. I also had the Tegiwa ones. They are now in TGMs bin...

Altecians

Advanced Member
I've had a set on mine for quite awhile, can't say I notice much if any difference.

But that's not to say it's not doing anything.. The spoon video that Gok mentioned makes a pretty convincing argument but the reality is if there is a difference, most of us won't pick up on it.

Just to add, these are technically non-reusable, so be ready for a new set everytime that subframe comes off.

Kevin85

Advanced Member
I installed a front and rear set, but I also fit extended ball joints, caster bushes, changed wheel widths, tyre compound and had a different geo dialed in. So in short, fuck knows. If they stop the subframe from going out of line, they've paid for themselves imo. Also, less flex is good, especially if you've got coilovers. They're supposed to replicate welding the subframe onto the chassis.

Spoon_Sports_Europe

Parts Trader
Hello, if you don't already know I am biased as we are the imported of them. But i'll add some info.

The Rigid Collars have now been verified for over 2000 applications. Each kit is verified and tested individually, nothing is left to guess work. Here is the Japanese blog showing the new vitrification and news link

The Rigid Collar team actively promote customer testing and reviews of the products
Here is a link with instructions on sound testing - link
Here is a link with instructions on vibration testing - link

We have never had a set returned. We have never had a refund requested. We have never received negative product feedback.

I have personally dropped the sub frame on the front of my DC2 no less than 5 times and reused the same collars - they are not single use.

The collars are very different in design to the likes of SW Motorsports of Tegiwa, their kits are are not a comparable. During the development process, this type of early collar was tested and developed and mostly resulted in failure!

The development story:

Back in 2006 during the development of the Spoon Sports Acura RL it became apparent there was difficulty in maintaining correct alignment of the sub frame to the chassis. Due to a difference in materials welding of chassis and sub frame was not and the idea of a Rigid Collar was convened.

To objective is to integrate the body with the sub frame with a material the offers strength and durability, whist not causing damage to the adjoining surfaces. As a result of repeated testing of many different aluminium, alloys and tempered materials the most suitable material was chosen

With the correct material chosen different designs were chosen and then tested on the vehicle. To allow the collar to correctly align the holes in the chassis with the bolt it is necessary for the collar to be tapered. Each collar is specific for the application and has its own design. Once the collar is installed the chassis and sub frame are as one; like monocoque chassis

The next stage of development was testing of the Rigid Collars under the most extreme of environments – endurance racing on the circuit. Differed designs, taper angles and surface finishes were tested. As you can see from the image below the design and material plays a very important parts in the durability of the collars. Material too hard and you damage the integral chassis and sub frames and too soft and the collar will damage as visible in the picture below

The final prototype is has is finished and installed to its specific vehicle for further road testing

The Rigid Collars are difficult little things to difficult little things to justify but certainly add to the overall enjoyment of driving to any car.

Front set can be found here : http://www.burnmotorsport.com/products-309/honda/integra-dc5-453/50261-fd2-000.html

Rear set here : http://www.burnmotorsport.com/products-309/honda/integra-dc5-453/50300-ep3-000.html

Both are in stock ready for shipping.

And here are a few discount codes to use:
SPCl2_LAKE4!6!52
SPCl2_UDGW7!8!64
SPC!l3_LSA4K326

Please let me know if you have any questions.

Altecians

Advanced Member
Informative article, interesting to hear they are re-usable. I was under the impression they worked more like crush washers that would require replacement.

Where does the rear set bolt to on the DC5? Suspension arm?

Kevin85

Advanced Member
How tight are they supposed to be in the subframe? I presumed the taper would make them tight enough so there would be zero movement.

Wingnuttzz

Advanced Member
Altecians said:
Informative article, interesting to hear they are re-usable. I was under the impression they worked more like crush washers that would require replacement.

Where does the rear set bolt to on the DC5? Suspension arm?
Subframe is bolted to the car in 4 places so I assume you use all the collars on that.

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Tapatalk

jrscho

Advanced Member
Thanks for the feedback guys! Quite interesting! Looking forward to what you have to say gok.

I did look at the spoon video before and did seem quite convincing lol but can't believe everything you see and better with people's experiences :)

And thanks for the article burns! very interesting reading that.. Looks like I may just invest in them after Christmas :p

They're only purpose is to stop the subframe being refitted in a different location, there's no other benefit.

We use the Tegiwa ones on the race cars and the subframes are off all the time for diff rebuilds etc, and we've never had to replace one.

wj51fut

Advanced Member
Area Motorsport said:
They're only purpose is to stop the subframe being refitted in a different location, there's no other benefit.

We use the Tegiwa ones on the race cars and the subframes are off all the time for diff rebuilds etc, and we've never had to replace one.
I understand not replacing them as they slot into place but the Tegiwa ones won't lock the two components together. There is only one 'ridge' on them so they will only lock into the subframe or the chassis. The Spoon ones have two 'ridges' which will lock the two components together.

That is the fundamental difference between the two and the reason why I changed from the Tegiwa ones to the Spoon ones. Yes the Spoon ones are pricey BUT if you got them in the group buy then it's worth it.

You are really not going to notice a great deal of difference in the road. Track times are where it will make a difference but it all helps with the feel of the car and drive ability of it.

Once I have all of mine fitted plus the roll centre adjusters I will be looking at FRSU's. Again, all of these components together make the difference.

Spoon_Sports_Europe

Parts Trader
I will give 20% discount to anyone that buys a front a rear set from this thread.

Front Kit £168.00
Rear Kit £168.00
Total £336.00

-20% = £268.80

Carriage £10.00 in the UK - Outside the UK please contact first.

Send payment inc carriage £278.80 to paypal@burnmotorsport.com

They are in stock and ready for shipping.