Whole Car Vibration Under Load.

Rage_DC5

Advanced Member
Hi guys,

My brothers just purchased a facelift DC5, went over it with a sore thumb and everything were all good.
However, as with all test drives, you respect someones pride and joy and don't drive it hard.
When we got it back, we replaced the front discs and pads with genuine Honda items.
He then noticed when reaching 60mph in any gear, there is a vibration that comes through the whole car...almost as if the wheel balancing is seriously out - however as it were literally half an hour of fitting them after picking the car up, can not determine wether the fault were there before, or wether its do to with the new discs and pads.
He has replaced all 4 wheels with brand new ROTA Torques wrapped in brand new NS2R'S to eliminate one thing off the list, had a replacement clutch (nothing to do with the above..but something else), and also had the car full 4 wheel aligned to eliminate any alignment issues.

Has anyone had anything similar? Bent driveshaft(s) sprung to mind - but then id of thought it would happen at any speed.

**It would also be worth noting that the vibration goes as soon as you let off the accelerator pedal, and comes back as soon as its re applied**

Any input would be great, as after spending all of his savings on his ITR is feeling a little disheartened.

Many thanks,

Ross

Alexander0628

Advanced Member
Sounds like a wheel balancing issue but as you said new wheels and tyres. Double check???

Wheel nuts all tight?

Jack up a side and see if there is any play in the hole wheel assembly..

If it was the disks and pads would of thought only vibrated when under breaking. Unless the two bolts holding the caliper in place not tight?? Even then would probly just knock when breaking.

So driving under 60 and car seems fine but as soon as it picks up speed I.e over 60 vibration can be felt thought the floor.

Is it worse thought the steering wheel? Or manly felt threw the car/dash. What's it like when engaged in vtec in first?
Broken engine mount maybe?

I am just throwing guesses at you.

Hope you get it fixed, I would be dishearted too.

TyperItr

Advanced Member
I had an issue similar to this, so much so the coins in my cup holder used to rattle. Under acceleration the car would vibrate really badly left to right. Turns out the balance had gone off my driveshafts. I got some new ones and that sorted the issue.

Rage_DC5

Advanced Member
Checked the shafts.. The NS wheel sprins great, the O/S one feels alittle tight? I've put a pry bar in the main shaft where it connects to the half shaft, and there seems up and down play, and a small amount in the half shaft bearing?

hondamad2204

Advanced Member
Sounds like driveshafts. I had this last year...Under load, horrid vibrating, off load it went. Inner cv on the drivers side was loose, the cup gets pitted and the bearing sits in the groove causing the vibration.

jack up the car, and spin the wheels slowly back and forth, mine had about 5mm movement before i felt the resistance of the cv joint.....passengers side moved as one with the wheel.

Also get under the car and wiggle both inner and outer joints, they should go in and out, not up amd down. If there is any up and down movement its goosed.

Phelpo711

Advanced Member
Did you properly clean the hubs where the discs mount to? These need to be spotless and any dirt can lead the disc to be off-square. If you have fitted new wheels and tyres and have been balanced and these are the the only items you have changed yourself i would re-look at these mate.

kyle'87

Advanced Member
When I have my ROTA torques on my Cupra, I would have horrible vibration around the 70ish mark. Got the tyres balanced and everything checked over a few times. Vibration still stayed. The vibration only disappeared when I changed the wheels.

Obviously this must have been an extreme as the care never drove right with them on anyway, as soon as I got rid the car handled 100% better.

Just another drop in the ocean.

Rage_DC5

Advanced Member
We've ordered a full set of shafts including the half shaft, so I'll report back on what the results are!
It's 100% not the wheels, as it also did it on the OEM wheels too,
Ross

adam.

Advanced Member
Rage_DC5 said:
We've ordered a full set of shafts including the half shaft, so I'll report back on what the results are!
It's 100% not the wheels, as it also did it on the OEM wheels too,
Ross
What did that lot come to out of interest?

Did you go for brand new from big-H?

Fez

Advanced Member
A friend of mine had a bent driveshaft on his dc2, wouldn't matter what speed he was doing, but the vibrations would only happen in vtec.

Rage_DC5

Advanced Member
We didn't, we purchased a full set of low mileage ones from Integrasteller, £300 delivered.

Yeah, all the posts I've read have been cured with shafts, so hopefully that cures the fault :)