Whooshing/hissing noise from engine bay or exhaust at 4000 rpm

Midge-1989

Advanced Member
Any ideas at all anyone? Best described as a whooshing noise or a 'metallic' hiss of air sound starting quite specifically and most prevalent at 4000 rpm +. Goes away when revs drop below approx. 3800 rpm. I've not got a lower VTEC point or turbo!

I had engine mount inserts and a rack slider fitted today along with an alignment - I don't see how any of this would be the cause of this but thought worth mentioning in case something has been knocked in the process of fitting the inserts or rack slider. It's never happened before or this morning before dropping off to be fitted.

Hope there is a reassuring possibility as to what and why this is. Thanks,

Midge

Col R

Hi,

I'm no expert but I dont imagine its anything to do your with insert, sliders or alignment. If I was to hazard a guess I'd say it was a split/compromised intake hose?

Fez

Advanced Member
This happened to my mates ek9 after fitting engine mounts too, but never found out what it was, so perhaps its just something rattling from the mounts? Lol

Midge-1989

Advanced Member
Checked the pipe and it's fine, was only fitted 6 months ago! Appreciate the suggestion though.

Haha did it actually Fez? I can't see why engine mount inserts would be the cause of such a noise and specifically at 4k rpm. Also if it was just a rattle I had I'd be less concerned!

Cheers for your suggestions both

Col R

Assuming it only happens when under load and you cant have someone nosey around, have you checked your header flexi section?

Hope your getting somewhere with this

spooke

Advanced Member
Most people have a metallicy sound around VTEC, mine did and it's recently gone? As long as it feels ok to drive I wouldn't worry.

Midge-1989

Advanced Member
I've not managed to check but it sounds like it's in that area Col. The vibration in the cabin has increased in line with the noise. Going to get it checked out tomorrow by someone that knows more than I do!

I know what you mean Spooke, I've never had that though plus this noise is well below vtec which is why it's bothering me!

Appreciate the interest/help lads so cheers again

spooke

Advanced Member
Midge-1989 said:
I've not managed to check but it sounds like it's in that area Col. The vibration in the cabin has increased in line with the noise. Going to get it checked out tomorrow by someone that knows more than I do!

I know what you mean Spooke, I've never had that though plus this noise is well below vtec which is why it's bothering me!

Appreciate the interest/help lads so cheers again
Try and get a video of it, if not take it to someone to look at. Could be a lot of things, but if you say it never happened before then I wouldn't worry too much :)

tricker_luke

Advanced Member
If you can, remove the driveshaft heatshield and check the honeycomb washers on that. They commonly loosen off and make a funny buzzy/rattle/whooshy sound at a particular rpm.
The engine mount inserts could also be transferring through more vibration if that is the cause of the noise.
On mine I just hammered the outside edge of the washer flat so there was no movement and the sound was gone after that.

Fez

Advanced Member
Midge-1989 said:
Checked the pipe and it's fine, was only fitted 6 months ago! Appreciate the suggestion though.

Haha did it actually Fez? I can't see why engine mount inserts would be the cause of such a noise and specifically at 4k rpm. Also if it was just a rattle I had I'd be less concerned!

Cheers for your suggestions both
Yeah lol, drove him crazy, took everything off checked, refitted, but noise was still there so just lived with it lol

Midge-1989

Advanced Member
tricker_luke said:
If you can, remove the driveshaft heatshield and check the honeycomb washers on that. They commonly loosen off and make a funny buzzy/rattle/whooshy sound at a particular rpm.
The engine mount inserts could also be transferring through more vibration if that is the cause of the noise.
On mine I just hammered the outside edge of the washer flat so there was no movement and the sound was gone after that.
10/10.

Driveshaft heatshield was rattling due to one of the washers being loose. Was put in a vice to compress/effectively tighten! Refitted. Sorted. Cheers again for all the suggestions.

Tell your mate, Fez :p