Why are DC5's in Ireland for sale cheaper than those in Wales ?

Adam-f

Advanced Member
I'm currently on the hunt for a DC5 to PX my Audi A3 in for, whist looking i've came across loads of DC5's in really good condition with low miles for sale in Ireland for a lot less money than ones for sale in Wales with more mileage, is this for any particular reason ? I've been tempted to travel over to go and look at a few, should i take anything into consideration if i do decided to buy from Ireland ?

Modmedia

Advanced Member
I don't know if you mean northern or southern Ireland. But if it's Northern Ireland I've pretty much looked at/have some knowledge of a lot of them over here.

Adam-f

Advanced Member
Ive looked at some from both really, most of them are from southern Ireland though i think, do southern run on normal UK plates ?

TyperItr

Advanced Member
Its due to the car scene in Ireland being F*****. here are 5 reasons

1) Tax for a 2 litre car is €660 at the moment and going to rise shortly. Its a Honda "Type R" that insurance companies wont touch over here. You are very lucky to get even a quote. Most places wont quote you, even if you go into a branch in person. If you do get a quote on average I would think it will be around the €1500. However I do think petrol is cheaper by a few cent here.

2) Every scumbag in the country wants to rob a Honda. Its like the holy grail of scum over here. I have had 1 Dc5 stolen on me, and my current one vandalised twice. If you look on the Honda Irish forum you will see minimum 1 thread a week (literately) from a member about their Honda being stolen.

3) Worst of all the police. First off they wont look or your stolen Honda (country is better without them). If they even see a "boy racer" Honda be it an ek9, ep3, DC5, eg6 sir, fn2, fd3. Once its a Honda and a fast one, they will stop you every time, and give you grief. I have had to open my bonnet many a time, once I was accused of having nos while the police man was pointing to the Fuse box!!! They are unable to tell the difference between a DC5 and an eg6. Its amazing how much the cars look the same isn't it??!! They are also unable to tell the difference between a standard 1.4 civic looking like it drove through halfords with a magnet and a tasteful type R with 40 k on the clock. I cant understand why they don't find the stolen Hondas when they are stopping them all. I think they do stop them, but are just too dumb to realise its a stolen car!

4) The roads are excrement!

5) Finally for people who have not heard about us needing a huge bail out from Europe. We have no money left! Who is willing to actually pay for a Dc5 and go through all of the above?? very few. Hence there is no market in Ireland any more so the price has dropped.

4 years ago a 01 was around 20K

Scum bags and politics, they are the same thing really.

Also we have our type plates.

For example if you see 01-D-3456 this means

01: car is a 2001 car
D : it was registered in Dublin: County the car was registered in eg ( Limerick would be LK, Calre = CE, Kilkenny =KK, Sligo = SO etc)
3456 : it is the 3456th 2001 car registered in Dublin

TyperItr

Advanced Member
Oh on a side note. 3 years ago I bought my car in Wales, and I saved €7k buying it in Wales.

Bonito

Advanced Member
If you're going to view any in the south, throw up a link. Some of us from Ireland might know the car.

You could even be lucky and get one that was imported to the UK from Japan and then from UK to Ireland.

JCS

Crappy for the Irish but good for us in England.

Whats the deal with importing a car from Southern Ireland to England? Any import tax (may sound silly by the Government love to get our hard earned pennies wherever they can)

Also where do Southern Irish DC5s get advertised?

PS any Irish people who are fed up of being harrased by the police and want a astra diesel, please pm lol

TyperItr

Advanced Member
I think all you need to do is get an MOT (registered on the chassis) then bring the car to the DVLA (with the MOT as proof of road worthiness) you also need to buy 6months road tax. Then you are good to go. As its coming from Ireland it dose not need all the inspection it needs when coming from Japan. This my experience anyway when I went to bring my car to Northern Irish plates. It failed by 3% on a brake imbalance on the rear though. I never went back as I have if fully paid up on Irish plates for the year.

here ya go

http://cars.donedeal.co.uk/for-sale/cars/3196604

Nickyyy

Advanced Member
FireDance said:
Sorry to bump an old thread, but I would like some advice on a car I have seen for sale.

I really like the look of this, but I don't know if it would need a plate transfer, MOT and if the road tax is the same?!?!

http://www.gumtree.com/p/cars-vans-motorbikes/honda-integra-dc5-type-r/1015196789

If anyone could give me some advice I would really appreciate it :xgrin:
Get the Reg, i'm sure if me and Phil (WKZ 12) have some spare time next weekend we could go and have a nosey at it for you

IMO it's very dear for a car with that amount of miles. In NI budget 4.5-5.5K for a dc5.

dc55_11

Advanced Member
I got mine from NI and to be honest travelling wasnt a big problem, so if you wanna save some money and get a genuine low mileage DC5 go for it, nothing compares to having it on less miles feels like brand new :)