why are people choosing 225/45/17 over 215/45/17 oem size?

Rom

Advanced Member
Cheaper too aren't they? As a more common size, think there's tyres people use that aren't available in 215 too.
Plus bit more rim protection ;)

integraleo

Advanced Member
Rom said:
Cheaper too aren't they? As a more common size, think there's tyres people use that aren't available in 215 too.
Plus bit more rim protection ;)
This! Generally cheaper with no downsides, re070 tyres only available in 225 as well

integraleo

Advanced Member
DanielJames said:
That's interesting considering the DC2 came with 215 tyres too!
98 spec did,but on 16s that's actually very wide and really expensive size. Most people with 98 spec buy 205 as they are so much cheaper.

Rom

Advanced Member
Moving 10mm is pretty safe, has marginal impact going up or down.

Using 225 gives a bit more rim protection. Most will go with an XL rated, and also up a load index, say 94 instead of 91 etc. This combats any sidewall issue coming from the slight increase.

MrRy

Advanced Member
My rears rub on 225 with my offset and suspension setup on fast cornering on track or big bumps on Uk roads, so I'll be moving back to 215's for both road and track tyres as they were perfect.

They do fill the arches better though and they do look nicer.

K20_JCY

I just ordered some 215/45 tyres but 225/45 arrived instead. Currently have lowering springs but original Spring will be fitted when tyres get done. Does anyone know if I will rub if running standard set up?

Chewy

Advanced Member
K20_JCY said:
I just ordered some 215/45 tyres but 225/45 arrived instead. Currently have lowering springs but original Spring will be fitted when tyres get done. Does anyone know if I will rub if running standard set up?
On OEM wheels with standard set up, Not even close.