Why DIDN'T you choose a focus RS?

rick c

Advanced Member
Two cars I'm very seriously considering at the moment are the DC5 and the Focus RS. I'm yet to test drive either of them (don't seem to have the time - I'm always working on my car!) but I think I'd prefer Honda's gorgous VTEC engine and N/A power delivery to the RS's turbocharged approach.

As this is a question you must all have asked yourselves before making your purchase, I just wanted to know your thoughts on why you chose the DC5 before I go and book my testdrives

Cheers :D

Erm

Advanced Member
cause you don't need to Fix Or Repair Daily :D

DC5 looks better, rarer and its not a focus.....

jap = better quality & more reliable and it still goes like crazy :D

rick c

Advanced Member
Another good reason for me is rarity... one of the reasons I bought my Rallye is because its exclusive. Was on autotrader the other day there's only about 5 for sale in the country!

I've seen loads of Focus RS's about, loads of EVO's and TONS of scoobies.

There's a lot to be said for exclusivity... :D

Rob-DC2

Advanced Member
My Girlfriend had a S1 Rallye 106 as a first car (i told her to get one)

Great car, fun and rare as you say,

Looked good with a white Rallye and a White DC5,

go for the DC5 ;)

JOM

Advanced Member
As this is a question you must all have asked yourselves before making your purchase
Errr NO :?

Blue badge on the front, sorry not interested

Also experienced a Civic before got the Teg

GeordieAndy

Advanced Member
Certainly not a question I asked. It was more Evos I'd contemplated. Focus is to boy racer, Teg is classy. And bits always fall off the blue oval boys cars. The teg is a lot of car, with a much better image, and reliability and economy to match

zak_spede

Hi all, first post so please be gentle!

Well, I did choose an RS and was mighty pleased with it for the year and a half I had it. I chose it over a CTR because I felt the handling and brakes on the RS were vastly superior to the CTR. It was also much more exclusive (and still is, I believe) than the CTR.

I now have a pre-facelift ATR and am very pleased with it but do miss the ferocious performance of the RS - whilst the kick-in-the-back-at-an-insane-number-of-revs thrill of the VTEC engine is great, the RS has an almost flat power curve after about 2.5k rpm and delivers that kick in the back with very little turbo lag at all.

At the end of the day though, a Type-R and the RS are very different driving experiences and I appreciate both for what they are.

For what its worth, apart from one small coolant leak the RS performed reliably & flawlessly and barely depreciated in value, to boot.

Am now investigating the finances of buying a DC5, though :D

cheeRS,
James.

zak_spede

GeordieAndy said:
Certainly not a question I asked. It was more Evos I'd contemplated. Focus is to boy racer, Teg is classy. And bits always fall off the blue oval boys cars. The teg is a lot of car, with a much better image, and reliability and economy to match
Errr, nothing fell off; it was very reliable and, if you didn't hammer the turbo, it was no less economical than my ATR is (if you don't hammer the VTEC, that is).

Can't really disagree with you on the 'boy-racer' thing though - but since that is what I was after it was all good, really!

GeordieAndy

Advanced Member
LOL, soz, its just I used to be a blue oval boy. MK2 RS2 and MK2 XR2. Me old man is full on concours freak with his sierra, and wont drive anything but a ford. I just dont think they make em like they used to

Evs

Advanced Member
It never occurred to me to buy a FRS tbh. Quite like the concept of an edgy hatchback but you're just one of several million Focus owners with wide boy alloys and a dog's dinner interior. My short list came down to DC5, Impreza Spec C and E46 M3. For me the DC5 beat them all on driver involvement, image, vfm and rarity. Also have to say that 5.5 years of totally fault-free DC2 ownership has made me pretty brand loyal to Honda.

nickyg63

I work in a garage and take cars apart all day long less than a year old fords are going rusty so i wouldn`t touch one!

A lot of of ford owners wouldn`t touch "jap crap" (there words not mine) drive both and see what you think

I`m glad i chose honda

truffs

everyones different. My mate had one of the 1st (has to have the 1st of everything 180 pug :oops: and now getting the rather large arsed megane sport :roll: ) and in a year he had a broken clutch twice and Ford wouldnt replace it even though someone mentioned off the record that ford knew there was a problem with them being to weak :!: ATR, like your still mate. had one of the original mark 1's on the T plate. Handfinished engine 220bhp, xenon lights the dogs dangerlies and it was a hell of car. Only used to get 220miles out of a tank and yet with my DC5 i can get 300mile its amazing what a bit of fetterling can do for economics and its pushing out 300bhp :!:

jay.dee

Advanced Member
nickyg63 said:
A lot of of ford owners wouldn`t touch "jap crap" (there words not mine) drive both and see what you think

I`m glad i chose honda
That is so narrow minded from such owners... after all Ford is American (who are not necessarily any better) :roll:

T666YPR

I thought Ford cars were,Spanish,German....etc

Bet most of those saying "Jap crap" don't realise the "Henry" they are buying isn't British.

I personally wouldn't buy any cars made in Hungoslavia,or anything Tairean :wink: :lol:

GeordieAndy

Advanced Member
I thought Ford cars were,Spanish,German....etc

Bet most of those saying "Jap crap" don't realise the "Henry" they are buying isn't British.

I personally wouldn't buy any cars made in Hungoslavia,or anything Tairean
Bang on. Ford owners know that but dont say out. I know :wink: Infact its a proven fact that in the 80's and 90's the Fords coming out of Factorys like Cologne in Germany, were of a better grade of metal than the UK cars. And guess which rusted away first :wink:

Erm

Advanced Member
its a fair question! he's simply askign why we chose the integra over the focus RS

for me the focus RS wasn;t even an option

rick c

Advanced Member
A friend of mine owns a CTR and a tuning company (System-R in Warrington) He's recently got his on a rolling road and got 210bhp ATW, and 274bhp ATW with NOS.

The engine is very similar on the DC5 isn't it? If so it gives me confidence that it can be tuned quite easily and I really like the thought of a VTEC as my next performance car :D

Never even seen one if I'm honest :oops: can't wait :wink: