Why do my brakes squeal!?

Fin

When i purchased the car it had racing pads fitted (unknown make) and the brakes squealed really loud everytime i stopped.

About a month ago my garage replaced them with the original DC5 Brembo pads. The noise has improved and is much quieter now. However, they still squeal at times, particulary if im driving fast and braking hard. But for some reason doesnt squeal at all when im braking downhill!?

Does anyone know how i can stop my brakes squealing?

Are shims required? Will this help or is there an anti brake squeal product on the market i can apply?

Cheers dudes!

Duncs

there should be an anti squeal shim fitted anyway, i always put a small spot of copper grease on the back of the pad as well.
perhaps the only other reason could be and i am not an expert is that i guess the race pads are v hard and in some way they have hurt the standard discs,

Ken A

Advanced Member
Duncs said:
there should be an anti squeal shim fitted anyway, i always put a small spot of copper grease on the back of the pad as well.
perhaps the only other reason could be and i am not an expert is that i guess the race pads are v hard and in some way they have hurt the standard discs,
Im with Duncs :wink:

Fin

Cheers guys,

I'll be booking it in for a general service soon so i'll get that copper grease job done and also get them to check the disks for any damage.

TypeRKid

Advanced Member
FIN

Ive had this problem ever since ive purchased my teg, basically its to do with the amount of brake dust released onto your pads. All you need to do is apply copper grease to the back of the pads and this should solve the problem. I do mine every 4months becuase i get squealling noise when i brake.everytime ive had it done it goes. Im glad i work in a garage and i have mechanics to do this for me otherwise it'll cost me a fortune haha!! :lol:

ollie-dc5

Advanced Member
Why not do it yourself? It's only a 15 minute job. Whip your wheel off, get a centre punch and punch through the two retaining pins on the outside edge of the caliper(holding the pads in). Pull the pads out, wipe the back with a cloth, apply copper grease and refit. Job done. :wink:

Fin

Cheers Geezers!

You're most helpfull. I'll let you know how i get on.

:D