why dont supercharges give good torque figures?

benny

Advanced Member
as title? never seen a s/c teg with a high torque, yet turbod cars have high torque and we all now its torque that pulls you out of corners!!!!

JDC5

Charged DC5
hmmm.. good question..

so what is the average torque figures for a S/C DC5?

JD

12T

Advanced Member
I think its set up like that as our cars dont need much torque to get us moving. Correct me if im wrong.

benny

Advanced Member
then why arent they set up with alot of torque? freinds car is 260 bhp but almost 400lbs! and it leaves the teg on country lanes!! the thing just pulls so hard!!!! ive got 183lbs there was a guy on here with a s/c that had about the same?

sinbad

Advanced Member
I guess its down to the fact that the supercharger usues engine power/torque to rotate. Although it wont peak as much, i bet the area under the curve is much greater.

JDC5

Charged DC5
I think it maybe down to the supercharger them self, it depends what version you get and the size of the pulley. I mean, you can have a much higher torque figure if you was to use a 8psi charger, over the pond in the US i've seen people use 11psi and the torque figures are well over the 180lbs..

are you planning to get a S/C benny?

JD

matt b

Advanced Member
benny said:
then why arent they set up with alot of torque? freinds car is 260 bhp but almost 400lbs! and it leaves the teg on country lanes!! the thing just pulls so hard!!!! ive got 183lbs there was a guy on here with a s/c that had about the same?
Does your friends car have a K20 in it? It sounds like a diesel :?

JT3173

Advanced Member
Good question Benny, I wondered this too as I am thinking of going down the route of Supercharging!

pudski

Advanced Member
Got the 8psi jrsc on mine and its kicking out 294bhp and 197lb torque.
Done 12,000 mls since it was done and still makes me smile every time :wink: progressive power that just pulls and pulls.
Better for the engine not having massive torque gains at a certain point :wink:

Paul Type R

matt b said:
benny said:
Does your friends car have a K20 in it? It sounds like a diesel :?
Agreed. That's almost gotta be a diesel. 400lbs at 5252rpm usually means 400bhp.

Am i right in saying turbos usually give up the ghost at about 6500rpm thus needing more torque for the same power?

JDC5

Charged DC5
pudski said:
Done 12,000 mls since it was done and still makes me smile every time :wink: progressive power that just pulls and pulls.
8psi.. not bad mate! shame i've only got the 5psi kit.. any problems so far? new belt? etc?

Cheers

JD

pudski

Advanced Member
Not had any problems, still on the first belt after 12,000mls. Going to
change it in the spring.
When you fit the kit make sure all the bolts are thread locked :wink: if not they could vibrate loose.
Would be easy for you to upgrade to 8psi, just need to change the pulley :wink:

sinbad

Advanced Member
JDC5 said:
pudski said:
8psi.. not bad mate! shame i've only got the 5psi kit.. any problems so far? new belt? etc?

Cheers

JD
What sort of figures are you looking to get with 5psi?

Ive heard the Rotrex is just slightly more expensive but is capable of more power than the Jackson?

benny

Advanced Member
yeah it is a desiel, a fabia what a car!, but there are other people in the area with zvh and zetec turbos with high torque figures too
ive got no plans yet to get a s/c too much money at the moment when i sell my house i may think about it, but i like the n/a fun and poeple lookin for you turbo when you waste there turbo'd or supercharged cars hehe, does the noise of the car change too? because i love the way mine sounds andi wouldnt want it to change!!!!

sinbad

Advanced Member
Well the Rotrex charger i heard at TDi sounded ace. No pronounced whining from what i could hear.

JDC5

Charged DC5
pudski said:
change it in the spring.
When you fit the kit make sure all the bolts are thread locked :wink: if not they could vibrate loose.
Good stuff mate!

I'm not goin to fit the kit on myself as i dnt trust myself, I think i'm going to get the job done at CPL, i think they know they are doin, but thanks for the heads up!

We are you buyin ur belt from? direct from Jackson in the US? as i'm looking to buy one as spare, i dnt think they are the same size.

Yeah.. i was thinking abt the 8PSI kit.. but its a daily driver for me, so would like to keep reliabilty still abit..lol.. then again, who knws.. :wink:

what BHP/torque figures is your car running at mate?

JD

JDC5

Charged DC5
sinbad said:
Well the Rotrex charger i heard at TDi sounded ace. No pronounced whining from what i could hear.
Rotrex are good, but i've heard that the jackson racing offer more reliabilty so.. up to you.. i kinda like the supercharger sound.. lol

a lil vid i found of the jackson sound..
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cuokl1L-yr8

oh abt the figures.. i'm not too sure really.. just looking forward to the install power really..lol

JD

pudski

Advanced Member
JDC5 said:
pudski said:
change it in the spring.
Good stuff mate!

I'm not goin to fit the kit on myself as i dnt trust myself, I think i'm going to get the job done at CPL, i think they know they are doin, but thanks for the heads up!

We are you buyin ur belt from? direct from Jackson in the US? as i'm looking to buy one as spare, i dnt think they are the same size.

Yeah.. i was thinking abt the 8PSI kit.. but its a daily driver for me, so would like to keep reliabilty still abit..lol.. then again, who knws.. :wink:

what BHP/torque figures is your car running at mate?

JD
Got my belt from www.summitracing.com went for the goodyear gatorback. Mine is a shorter belt with not having a/c. is fine just pottering about, very easy to drive and still get 28/29 mpg mixed driving :wink:

Car is kicking out 294bhp and 197lb torque

Jayk

Advanced Member
honda's are renowned for being torqueless, reason, because they rev so high. if you want a honda to have good torque and rev high you have to spend alot of money, or you change the bottom end to some thing with a smaller stroke. i.e a 2.4ltr then it will not rev so high but will give more torque.