Why is the Mugen airbox classed as pap

weggy

Advanced Member
I have got one and it seems to be ok I have got the Mugen bumper I wonder if that is why it seems to work.

I just look at the gruppe M and it looks the same but with a different intake position.

I am not disagreeing as such, its just that there seems to be alot of adverse press about the mugen but I have never found a proper reason.

Any constructive reasoning I think will clear this up as I am looking to build a new engine and I am wanting to buy the right parts and if that means that i need to change induction kit then at least I will know.

Cheers in advance.

garytc78

Advanced Member
Alright dood I reckon you need to get a comparison done between a std airbox and your mugen then you can see if it gives good gaines ;)

Shanetyper

Advanced Member
hey all, i just got mapped on monday i was previously mapped for the mugen airbox and then on monday it was mapped for the gruppe m it made 9bhp and 9 torques extra compard to the mugen also i had the 5zigen scoop with the AB!!!!
i was very surprised.

flex1984

Advanced Member
Do you hae the mugen bumper as well?

i have mugen bumper and the box together and for me it felt alot better than std, was more responsive and felt smother.

iv never put mine on rolling road but just felt better to me. I was not unhappy i got it ;)

ian.herm01

Advanced Member
I have no axe to grind about any of this. The GruppeM is bascially a ram air system as i see it, and as such will make no difference on a dyno as you need high speed air to charge it.

You will only notice a difference on the road unless the dyno is in a wind tunnel.

Shanetyper

Advanced Member
no mugen bumper.
i had the k&n before then got a map for the airbox and scoop and i couldn stick it, the car wasn as responsive with the airbox so the k&n went BACK ON.
when the chaps were mapping the car they said the Mugeb AB was kinda counteracting the RBC.
I'm no mechanic but thats what was said.

jimmi27

Advanced Member
I have got the Mugen with the 5Zigen and it makes 234 at TDI north. The only other mods are k-pro and hks cat back. The gain is ok and even paul was suprised.

If I was to do it again I would get the GM. Great bit of kit with good gains and a great noise! just wish i was a memeber of this site before buying my Mugen :D