Will I have problems with this size wheel ?

Plasmapants

Quick question . I have just bought alloys for my car . Rpf1 staggard . 17” 9.5j et40 back - 8.5j front et38 . I‘m running standard suspension at the min and would prefer to keep it like that but will I run into issues with this size . They are being swapped out for the standard alloys so I can get them refurbed and put away

Thanks in advance

Reggie91

Advanced Member
Erm quite possibly.

Im running RPF1's 9j et 45 on the front and 8 et 45 on the rear. I require an 8mm spacer to fit the 9j's at the front the clear the caliper on the front due to the wheel design. It literally just tucks under the arches with a 245/225 tyre.

I think you'll definitely need to get your rear arches rolled and run a fair amount of camber (camber arm and bolts will be a must).

Plasmapants

Ok thanks for the input reggie . They are gonna be with me next week sometime . I‘m hoping they won‘t kill the drive once setup .

bxlheathsupra

Advanced Member
Mad... i yried a set of 19x8.5 offset 45 and they just about fitted the arch. Tyres would have if they were a smaller profile. I would of thought a9inch 45 would be well out unless you have a load of camber

spooke

Advanced Member
Plasmapants said:
Ok thanks for the input reggie . They are gonna be with me next week sometime . I‘m hoping they won‘t kill the drive once setup .
If you're not wanting to kill the drive then you're better off not running them :xtsk:

They're too wide and too low offset for a DC5 - stock is 7j et60 for reference. You'd want to run the wider 9.5j up front anyway, with a lot of camber (over 2deg rear and 3deg front) it will just about work but it's going to drive awful compare to standard.

Reggie91

Advanced Member
Yeah i wouldn't recommend it for a daily drive. Tramp lines all over the place.

Comes alive on track though :p

I think Chewy is running 17x9.5j et 40 on the front and had to get wider fenders

Chewy

Advanced Member
Reggie91 said:
Yeah i wouldn't recommend it for a daily drive. Tramp lines all over the place.

Comes alive on track though :p

I think Chewy is running 17x9.5j et 40 on the front and had to get wider fenders
Yup, 17x9.5 ET40 and 255/40 tyres.

+15mm wider fenders and -1.5 camber they fit flush with the arch, Performed well on a short track jaunt but only time will tell.

Also worth nothing I'm only running Mugen suspension so there's basically no lows in my life, which helps with the width not catching too much on the arch liner.

sabina c

following this. having wider fenders install next week, looking for bigger wheels also, interesting to know what fits, and biggest sensible size for wider fender people have before ordering wheels.

Chewy

Advanced Member
sabina c said:
following this. having wider fenders install next week, looking for bigger wheels also, interesting to know what fits, and biggest sensible size for wider fender people have before ordering wheels.
This completely depends on the use of the vehicle.

Personally up front, I wouldn't go any bigger than what i have.

Anything 8.5 - 9.5J with ET35 or higher.

Plasmapants

Chewy said:
Yup, 17x9.5 ET40 and 255/40 tyres.

+15mm wider fenders and -1.5 camber they fit flush with the arch, Performed well on a short track jaunt but only time will tell.

Also worth nothing I'm only running Mugen suspension so there's basically no lows in my life, which helps with the width not catching too much on the arch liner.

Plasmapants

Thanks for all the help guys , the wheels turned up today , they look sweet . Ill have a look when I get chance and see what I‘m up against . They have new federal on 235 for the front and 255 for the back , I was going for the staggard stance . The car is not a daily , just pull it out at the weekends . Out of interest what‘s the mugen suspension like compared to standard ? Lower ? Stiffer ?

Chewy

Advanced Member
Plasmapants said:
Thanks for all the help guys , the wheels turned up today , they look sweet . Ill have a look when I get chance and see what I‘m up against . They have new federal on 235 for the front and 255 for the back , I was going for the staggard stance . The car is not a daily , just pull it out at the weekends . Out of interest what‘s the mugen suspension like compared to standard ? Lower ? Stiffer ?
Mugen is 10mm lower, and stiffer than OEM.

As people have previously mentioned, this is a FWD car. The wider wheels and tyres need to be on the front.

dave7368

Advanced Member
sabina c said:
Chewy said:
This completely depends on the use of the vehicle.

Personally up front, I wouldn't go any bigger than what i have.

Anything 8.5 - 9.5J with ET35 or higher.
Obviously depends how wide your fenders are... For instance 9.5J ET35 would'nt be any where near close to filling the arches on mine....

Plasmapants

Ok quick update . I fitted the wheels last night and took it for a run and a very hard run . No spacers required and bolted straight on with no fuss , No rubbing at all and the the drive don‘t feel any different from the standard alloys . I‘m running standard suspension but I feel I could come down 10mm or so as long as I stiffen the shocks a few knots . I will post some pics in a bit if I get chance .