Willy size comparison

Status
Not open for further replies.

conoroneill

Advanced Member
Why not just get it over with and buy an Evo?

250BHP is more than suffice for a FWD car to maintain any level of finesse.

If you do fit the SC I trust you'll be uprating the clutch, brakes etc to attempt to cope with the added torque / power?

LeeH

Advanced Member
conoroneill said:
Why not just get it over with and buy an Evo?

250BHP is more than suffice for a FWD car to maintain any level of finesse.

If you do fit the SC I trust you'll be uprating the clutch, brakes etc to attempt to cope with the added torque / power?
......head gasket, LSD??

It all starts to get a bit expensive after 260 :shock:

premadonna555

Advanced Member
Already had evo's, scooby's, most cars in all honesty. My enjoyment comes from improving the cars performance; no matter what the car may be.

LSD from research won't need upgrading, but clutch will although torque figures don't necessarily increase by a lot.

Brakes just need good discs and pads. Head gasket is reported to be fine.

If it needs doing it will get done. I'm not on a budget.

LeeH

Advanced Member
When I was looking into cam TDi said a Head Gasket would be advisable. Make of that what you wish.

I think the LSD would be on the limit and the OE clutch won't last for long with 290+BHP I wouldn't have thought.

Proracer are doing a Group Buy on AP pads/discs at the moment :idea:

I agree with you on the Evo argument, if you want a silly fast DC5 the go for it 8)

pudski

Advanced Member
Done 14,000 miles in mine since having it supercharged. Not had any problems with oem clutch, brakes ect.
And i have had an evo :wink:

conoroneill

Advanced Member
I'd certainly wack an SC on a DC5 if there were no such things as corners.

But due to the fact that UK roads do consist of corners and the chaos theory of what you're asking your front 2 wheels to contend with in terms of power and steering input concomitantly, forced induction is a silly, silly idea.

My advice to you is to not worry about the Evos and Skylines darting past you like speeding bullets and enjoy the DC5 for what it is (the best FF N/A car in the world.)

premadonna555

Advanced Member
conoroneill said:
I'd certainly wack an SC on a DC5 if there were no such things as corners.

But due to the fact that UK roads do consist of corners and the chaos theory of what you're asking your front 2 wheels to contend with in terms of power and steering input concomitantly, forced induction is a silly, silly idea.

My advice to you is to not worry about the Evos and Skylines darting past you like speeding bullets and enjoy the DC5 for what it is (the best FF N/A car in the world.)
Have you ever driven an FF car with big power? You're making it out to be some torque steering monster. It's nothing of the sort. You can choose to map the supercharger to do nothing but give better low-mid power torque should you wish. It's not all about getting big bhp figures.

Look at the modern FF cars, Alfa, Golf GTi, Astra VXR, the VXR has 236ft lb of torque, far more than an SC DC5 and yet is still a great handling car.

It's really narrow minded to just suggest that because the car has an SC it can't go round a corner. You have seen the videos of forced induction DC5's going round the track haven't you??

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VFLtQua1q6c

Yeah that seems to be really struggling cornering with 300bhp or more.

With regards to british roads, you can't use even a tenth of the cars potential on the road, so i never modify my car for that. I'd just buy a 1000cc mini and be done with it.

I'm surprised Tdi north suggeste head gasket, although that would be advisable on the 8psi kit i'd imagine. I'll certainly check up on that one, thanks for the info.

conoroneill

Advanced Member
premadonna555 said:
Have you ever driven an FF car with big power?
Yes.

premadonna555 said:
You're making it out to be some torque steering monster. It's nothing of the sort.
I never mentioned torque steer. I simply pointed out that there is only so much you can ask from one axle in terms of power application and steering agility. Most of the power from your SC will be converted into understeer...

premadonna555 said:
Look at the modern FF cars, Alfa, Golf GTi, Astra VXR, the VXR has 236ft lb of torque, far more than an SC DC5 and yet is still a great handling car.
The Astra VXR handles like an absolute badger, which simply emphasises my point further.

premadonna555 said:
It's really narrow minded to just suggest that because the car has an SC it can't go round a corner. You have seen the videos of forced induction DC5's going round the track haven't you??

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VFLtQua1q6c

Yeah that seems to be really struggling cornering with 300bhp or more.
Yeah, that DC5 is probably running -3 deg negative camber and on 888s. We're talking real world here, not the track...

premadonna555 said:
With regards to british roads, you can't use even a tenth of the cars potential on the road, so i never modify my car for that. I'd just buy a 1000cc mini and be done with it.
Fair enough...

AndyBITR

Advanced Member
Have to agree with Pudski and Premadonna.

JRSC, no problems with engine, OEM clutch (it's done 50k miles total 8k of which was SC'd xthumbup), stock Brembo's are more than capable and changing to better pads makes them even better!!

As to too much power for the front wheels, then I'd beg to differ as long as you don't drive it like an EVO and mash the throttle and expect to pull out of every bend at warp speed!! :lol:

premadonna555

Advanced Member
Yeah exactly Andy.

Some people just get an idea in their head and no matter what you say, they're too stubborn to change their opinion. But they're entitled to it.

One minute an SC DC5 can't go round a corner, the next minute "well it will go round corners quick if it's set up properly". Oh well i was thinking of setting it up as poorly as possible. :roll:

A decent camber set up and R888's aren't exactly rocket science; but then a standard car would benefit just as much from such upgrades.

My last car was a 400bhp MR2 Turbo; now that was pretty useless on the roads and renowned for being a hard handling car to master due to the engine being very nearly over the rear wheels rather than true mid engined; but it was fun and i enjoyed it.

If we were talking about strapping a garret turbo on to make 400bhp then i think the comments are warranted; but barely making a 70bhp increase from standard on low boost with a sensible map, then it's only a 'slight' power increase over the common and popular NA modifications.

Each to their own, if everyone's car was the same then it'd be a little boring. And i'd have nothing to do at weekends! :lol:

conoroneill

Advanced Member
premadonna555 said:
Some people just get an idea in their head and no matter what you say, they're too stubborn to change their opinion. But they're entitled to it.
:lol:

premadonna555 said:
One minute an SC DC5 can't go round a corner, the next minute "well it will go round corners quick if it's set up properly". Oh well i was thinking of setting it up as poorly as possible. :roll:

A decent camber set up and R888's aren't exactly rocket science; but then a standard car would benefit just as much from such upgrades.
Who in their right mind would use -3deg for road use?

Oh dear. For day to day use this setup would cost around £600 for every few hundred miles on top of normal running costs as you will be tearing up your uber expensive 888s at an alarming rate of knots to compensate for the fact that your forced induction DC5 simply doesn't handle well.

I wasn't refering to track use but give me a DC5 with a Gruppe M, TODA manifold, good cams / springs, properly mapped KPRO and good coilovers with a good geo setup and I could match your Supercharged lap times no worries buddy... \:D/

premadonna555

Advanced Member
Well i'll take that challenge and bet you £1000 i'll set a faster lap time. No keyboard heroics here, i'll happily remove you of your hard earned cash.

I will say it again though, depending on how you want to map the car, the supercharger will not give massive torque or indeed massive power, it can simply be used to produce a car with more progressive power.

So we'll both set our cars up, but mine will have more power and more torque. So obviously you think your driving skills are enough to compensate for that; which is fair enough. I just hope they are!

We'll set up another thread for that if you like, agree a track and date etc?

Lets keep this thread for the group buy though, nothing worse than a side-tracked thread. :p

conoroneill

Advanced Member
I'd love to mate!

I've sold my awesome DC5 now however and bought an Evo IX GT now running 400BHP/400LB/FT so I'd be a dot in the distance unfortunately.

I (like you) considered forced induction for my DC5 but I had to gumption to realise that would be a mistake.

Remember kids - sticking a supercharger on a car won't compensate for the fact that you can't drive xthumbup

premadonna555

Advanced Member
Well you've not done much to that Evo. If it's not got 500bhp then it's not worth having. Admittedly mine was an evo 7 not had a newer one.

I'd still be tempted with the bet round cadwell though, but think you'd still win, i'm good, but not that good. :wink:

Worst thing that can happen is that i fit it, not happy with the performance, remove it and sell it. Maybe lose £1000.

The mr2 cost the best part of £10k to get to 400bhp, so it's worth trying for myself, and if i'm wrong, i will be the first to admit it.

Those that have done it though, have nothing but good things to say which is always a good thing. And i'm basing my own opinion on the CTR with an S/C which handled very well round snetterton and that didn't even have an lsd!

premadonna555

Advanced Member
I know mate. I see this forum has your typical know-it-alls that have to have their 2p on every post.

That's two threads i've started on SC. First one in wanted i was told to not get one until i could drive the dc5, and now on a group buy they're at it again. It makes me laugh that as probably one of a few people that actually do race cars as opposed to just doing track days twice a year and yet i'm getting lip!

Perhaps a mod can tidy up the thread for me please?

conoroneill

Advanced Member
premadonna555 said:
Well you've not done much to that Evo. If it's not got 500bhp then it's not worth having.
A filter, exhaust, remap and fuel pump are all I needed to achieve those figures and it all cost me less than £1000. I'll not be doing anything more to it either as I am using the car every day and I have the ability to realise its' full potential rather than purchase more power to compensate for lack of driving skill.

Oh and if you want to start a group buy thread, start it in the for sale section :wink:

premadonna555 said:
Perhaps a mod can tidy up the thread for me please?
Evs may tidy up your thread but he'll disagree with your forced induction ethos!

premadonna555

Advanced Member
Maybe, but i wasn't trying to ask for a fan club.

It does make me laugh that you know absolutely nothing about me, yet you keep insisting i'm a bad driver. I'm sure it's just banter, but it's pretty pointless banter.

Bit like-

You can buy an evo mate, but you've still got a tiny penis and your wife is still sleeping with your mates as she needs more satisfaction.

Why does a perfectly good discussion about the merits of a method of tuning have to fall into childish, pathetic insults which have no merit.

Oh and my dad is bigger than yours. So there.

Mods please lock this thread and i will repost in the correct group buy section which i hadn't seen. Which will strictly be for those interested in purchasing the item and not throwing playground insults.

JDC5

Charged DC5
AndyBITR said:
Have to agree with Pudski and Premadonna.

JRSC, no problems with engine, OEM clutch (it's done 50k miles total 8k of which was SC'd xthumbup), stock Brembo's are more than capable and changing to better pads makes them even better!!

As to too much power for the front wheels, then I'd beg to differ as long as you don't drive it like an EVO and mash the throttle and expect to pull out of every bend at warp speed!! :lol:
hey andy.. hows it goin mate? hows the SC? quick question.. what brake pads did you change too?

Cheers

Jd

Status
Not open for further replies.