Windscreen Replacement - Dealing with RAC....

Neil_H

Advanced Member
My windscreen has a huge MOT-failing crack in it and I have arranged a replacement via insurance. Now, I've just spoken to RAC Autoscreens and they reckon it will take 2-3 weeks to get one! :? This is despite many places actually keeping these in stock. I'm sure most of the guys running these places see the word 'import' and automatically assume it's going to be difficult to get one without actually doing their homework :roll:

So I was wondering if anyone had dealt with them before and had any tips or advice to speed things up. I offered to find one for them but they insist on using their own contacts :?

I'm really tempted to just buy one myself and get it fitted and skip the insurance altogether, but obviously this is a last resort.

Project

Advanced Member
Mine also has a crack in it but its right at the bottom on the passengers side.
Did the same as you,RAC said it would take 2 weeks to get one in, they came round to fit it to only tell me that my screen is wrong, when i looked at their info they had put 2002 honda integra Type R DC2 import, felt like slapping him, obviously did no homework what so ever.
So i just asked him how long would it take to get the right one, he said another 3 weeks, so i said is my screen ok for now to drive about, he inspected it and said that its fine because its not in your driving vision and has cracked as far as it will go. So decided to cancel the order and do it another time.

DolphiN Tech

Advanced Member
At the moment RAC Windscreens seem to be having a few "issues"...I've just had a new side glass fitted and it's taken nearly 7 weeks from the time of the damage. The windscreen, which ended up being repairable, was first reported to them at New Year.

Part of this has been down to a new system they apparently had rolled out a month or so back...a lot of orders weren't transferred, and this is now slowing things up a bit. They also seem to have a fairly lax notion of delivery times and getting on with the job.

In the end, once I'd pinned them down and got the glass ordered, it took about 10 days to arrive and be fitted.

Neil, they should still have my windscreen in stock, as it was never fitted. Tell them to check with the Newbury branch, hopefully it hasn't gone back yet.

Neil_H

Advanced Member
DolphiN Tech said:
They also seem to have a fairly lax notion of delivery times and getting on with the job.
Yes this does seem to be the case, I started the claim on Monday and only today when I called to see what was going on does anything actually seem to have been done. He tells me they can only use dealers they have accounts with and they only have an account with one Honda dealer. So why it has taken 5 days to decide this I don't know, ****ing useless. :roll:

I'm loath to pay for a new screen myself, particularly after just paying the deposit for a property, but no way can I afford to wait 2 or 3 weeks for a new one. :(

linzi94

Advanced Member
just checked one off my chassis number out of curiosity - according to EPC its £199.87 + vat but its backorder and that doesnt include the seals or the top moulding which normally gets bent.

David Johnson

Parts Trader
Just re-checked stock@ Honda,stock still available !!! in swindon
(i checked 2001/02 year model,will need chassis no to confirm )
RAC Autowindscreens have a account with our dealership

Neil i can get a screen to our dealership in Hereford BUT a courier service will not accept glass for transportation

Dave J
Steels
01432 267154

MJ Type-R

Advanced member
I had mine replaced last year by RAC Autowindscreens...

Once they knew who they were dealing with :D they soon got a screen in and it was all done within a week 8) (I had already done my homework with Dave@Steels, before I spoke to then etc)

Just a bit of advice... if you can.. take your car to them to have it done, rather than a mobile fit.. that way it will be done in the dry etc :idea:

Mike