Windscreen trim removal

Filkmeister

Had a quick mooch on the search but couldn't see much.

I have a nasty crack in the windscreen (courtesy of the completely naff tar and gravel-type road repairs...) and having had DC2 headaches previously thought I should check that Autoglass knew which parts to source... I noticed folks saying that the trim clips usually end up getting snapped off when they arrive and try to remove them. See where I am at here? They are due next week to replace the screen, but it occurred to me I might be able to "save" the clips and any associated marks/scrapes etc if I remove the trims in readiness.

So does anyone know how to remove the trims correctly without said damage?

Experience and tips much appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

hondamad2204

Advanced Member
It‘s a pull off job, the issue is they snap when you pull them off. (years of reading other people‘s misfortune on this.) I caught the corner of mine when cleaning it years ago, and it didn‘t take much to snap. but they will turn up with the wrong glass first, your trims will be the least of your worries I‘m led to believe. Hope it‘s relatively pain free for you, but expect the worst.

Could take them off completely, and glue them back on, or let them take them off, they will break them and then be obliged to replace them.

Johngreen537

Advanced Member
I've removed countless and it's a 50/50 chance if they snap or not, especially in winter.

Sent from my SM-N960F using Tapatalk

carl hammond

Advanced Member
Johngreen537 said:
I've removed countless and it's a 50/50 chance if they snap or not, especially in winter.

Sent from my SM-N960F using Tapatalk
Hi John,

Any specific way to try and remove them as my new screen is due in on Monday so assume it will be fitted next week sometime but I am worried they will break the side clips meaning I would then have to complain to get them to replace them and order new ones. More time wasted if that's the case...

hondamad2204

Advanced Member
You‘re probably better off letting them try and then if they break them, they buy new ones. You could get them off clean, but in the likely case that they do snap, your out of pocket. As a temp while you‘re waiting for the ones that (possibly) get broken from the fitting company you could temporarily stick back on so the appearance is still upheld.

I wouldn‘t risk it mate, let them try. Win win for you, it either survives or gets broken/ replaced. Either way you‘re not having to buy replacements

carl hammond

Advanced Member
You‘re probably better off letting them try and then if they break them, they buy new ones. You could get them off clean, but in the likely case that they do snap, your out of pocket. As a temp while you‘re waiting for the ones that (possibly) get broken from the fitting company you could temporarily stick back on so the appearance is still upheld.

I wouldn‘t risk it mate, let them try. Win win for you, it either survives or gets broken/ replaced. Either way you‘re not having to buy replacements
Cool will do that then thanks, leave and they break they buy lol.

Will I still need to supply them with the necessary part numbers do you know or trust they will get the right parts? This is oddly the first windscreen I have ever had to have on a car since passing my test back in 1998 which is why the questions may come across as I am clueless (as this is the case in this matter lol)....

hondamad2204

Advanced Member
There was a part numbers thread on hear a few years back, not been used for a while but should still be here.. failing that speak with a suppliers for a price/ part number. But Im sure if they eventually turn up with the correct windscreen they must be able to source the side trims too...if not keep sending them away until it‘s correct. :)

carl hammond

Advanced Member
There was a part numbers thread on hear a few years back, not been used for a while but should still be here.. failing that speak with a suppliers for a price/ part number. But Im sure if they eventually turn up with the correct windscreen they must be able to source the side trims too...if not keep sending them away until it‘s correct. :)
Thanks mate will do, what a faff :-(