Winter Tyres - READ ME

VT-Doo

RushDoo
This morning I got in the Zed to see the dash telling me it was 7[sup]o[/sup]C outside and it got me thinking...it's getting to that time of year again.

At the beginning of next month I'll be servicing the car and topping up the wax to protect the paintwork in time for winter. It's all very well and good doing these two things every year but the most over looked precaution in the UK are tyres. Just because the law states you must have a minimum tread depth of 1.6mm over the centre [sup]3[/sup]/[sub]4 [/sub]of the tyre does not mean it is safe to do so.

Last year I ran winter tyres for the first time. I searched all over the net, read reviews, watched videos and then afterwards bit the bullet and bought a set. Once on I couldn't believe the difference! Even in the worst condition I never had any problems, and to be honest I think I had more grip in the winter than I did in the summer. The most satisfying thing is bypassing people in their more expensive machinery (namely BMW drivers) trying desperately to move their car a few metres while you're sailing past up a snowy hill.

A lot of people are under the impression that winter tyres are for snow and ice; as true as this is, they are for everyday driving in temperatures of 7[sup]o[/sup]C and under (hence this thread). Winter tyres are already mandatory is the likes of Austria, Czech Republic, Finland, Germany, Sweden and recommended is so many others. Britain however, is too pig headed to ever take action to prevent an accident that it would rather wait until something awful happens first. Take heed, lead by example.

Another reason for posting this thread so early in the year is to encourage people to look around now, not later. Tyre companies aren't stupid, winter tyres are cheaper just now than they will be in a few months (just as the price of 4x4's always creep up in the winter, supply and demand and all).

Last year I bought 4 Hankook I*cept Evo W310 tyres and after running them over the winter I am actually looking forward to the snow, and watching everybody else struggle. At the moment these are on www.mytyres.co.uk at £102.50 with www.blackcircles.com coming in at £102.62 (both delivered).

Take a look at these sites;

READ ME

READ ME

READ ME

READ ME

martinj46

Advanced Member
A set of winter tyres are on my list for payday. I'm not really sure what to go for though. I'm currently thinking the Kumho KW27 looks like good value and has decent reviews

VT-Doo

RushDoo
Good stuff :xyes:

Obviously you're going to get better winter tyres than others, but at least with any winter tyre you're going to be better off than on any summer tyre. I went for the Hankook's because my local tyre place had lots in stock at a reasonable price. I read reviews and was sold on them very quickly.

alan-lee

Advanced Member
Good read!

My car will be off the road for the winter but will have to get the girls car sorted!

rascal69

Advanced Member
I bought a bmw for a winter car. Everyone was thinking i was mad. I got the car for cheap because of time of year i bought it.
I fitted a full set of winter tyres on it and was using it everyday. I honestly couldnt believe how much a difference was made.
Go on ebay and find a set of part worn ones. The part worn ones i got for the bm had 5-6 mm of thread. Looked new for 200 delivered.
This year am looking at buying an astra and hoping to sell my teg other wise it will be in garage resting.

Steve_DC5

Advanced Member
I went for Nankangs SV2 last year, not the best but better than RE070 in the winter lol just didnt get any snow or ice to test them out on last year lol
Learnt my lesson not going for winter tyres with the EK9, the thing just would not move on Hankook RS2s lol

Uniroyal rainexperts are excellent in the snow btw ;) I even used them as track day tyres over the winter, excellent in the wet :D