Winter tyres

turbo5

Advanced Member
After the recent bout of snow then the icy mess it leaves on the road, I thought I wasn't going to get caught out again. The gritters only concentrate on the main roads, bus routes and councilors avenues. I live in the middle of an estate at the bottom of a big hill.
I have never bothered with winter tyres before but I have Bridgestones 01R's on the car, (Jap tyre and brilliant in the summer but a bit slippy this time of the year, they only have a couple of grooves cut in them for tread)
A couple of years ago I bought an extra set of OEM wheels which came with winter tyres on them Toyos Garit G30's and Bridgestone Blizzack which were brand new.

I put them on the car this Saturday and highly recommend winter tyres at this time of the year. The car feels as though it handles a little different now. Obviously the sidewalls are no way near as stiff but they are so grippy. no wheel spins and the hill that I have struggled to get up this week was no problem at all. I even went to the local reservoir up in the hills where the car park is still packed ice and the car just drove on it like a normal surface.
I was reading something the other week about summer tyres needing something like 7C to operate effectively considering we wont see that until March time I thought I would give these tyres a go and save my summer tyres (prolong their life) I would imagine that these winter tyres would give better performance at this time of the year than the O1R's
Anybody else use winter tyres ?

dc5ian

Advanced Member
i changed over from the same tyers u used to have on, they are not good when cold let alone when its icey.. i use the goodyear eagle f1's for winter..

logik

Advanced Member
I have Toyo's on at the moment and they are OK in the wet. I just take it easy. If i had to buy tyres tomorrow though i would go for the goodyear.

MilanoChris

Advanced Member
Yep I used to run winter tyres on my EP3 and DC5. Don't have a set now as I don't need to use the car however they are a worthy investment. As you've said, summer tyres cease to function correctly below about 6 or 7 degrees and from here the winter tyres come into there own.

celox performance

Advanced Member
I use the F1's on all 3 of my cars and you can't go wrong with them. They give massive grip in wet/slippy conditions even with a RWD car :D