Winter Tyres

coyote_dc5

Administrator
Staff member
What do people choose?

Might seem a strange question on a performance coupe and I've never had to consider them in the past 6yrs of ownership however moving house shortly and will be on ungritted roads so it's either I explore this or consider a winter car with AWD but that's the more expensive route of course!

Sent from my Z10 using Tapatalk 2

mikeyw85

I've had several different winter tyres on different cars, but at the moment I have Khumo KW23 ones on the DC5. They were about £64 from Oponeo, but I've noticed they have some Yokohama's for only £57 now, so that sounds a bargain.

For those kind of prices they aren't going to be the best ever, but considerably better than summer tyres on snow and ice, you'd think. I am pretty pleased with the Khumo's so far during cold driving, they seem to grip well enough in wet or dry.

Crazylegs

Advanced Member
My old man uses some Vrederstain winter tyres, not sure which ones though sorry.

Says they're good but they're not performance related in any way shape or form.

Mebz

Advanced Member
Winter tyres are not just for snow and ice.

As soon as temperature falls below 8 degC, winters perform better.

So they say

TyperItr

Advanced Member
I like the Sound of option 2. Hmmmm... what AWD cars are there available :xconfused: One springs to mind and I think the majority of people on here would come to the same conclusion that is of course an EVO (or some people prob think Subaru)

OliverV

Mebz said:
Winter tyres are not just for snow and ice.

As soon as temperature falls below 8 degC, winters perform better.

So they say
Actually - NO

Here(in Estonia) for example if to use winter tires with 0 degrees celcius, and if the road is clean, the studs in the tire make it slippery!
i use Good Year Ultra Grip Ice Arctic. But if there is snow and -20 or -15 degrees C then it is nice!

Mebz

Advanced Member
OliverV said:
Actually - NO

Here(in Estonia) for example if to use winter tires with 0 degrees celcius, and if the road is clean, the studs in the tire make it slippery!
i use Good Year Ultra Grip Ice Arctic. But if there is snow and -20 or -15 degrees C then it is nice!
I was referring to winter tyres in the UK.

OliverV

dont you use these there in winter?
but then maybe in UK winter is reasonable to use the studless wintertires like Dunlop SP Ice Sport:

Wingnuttzz

Advanced Member
I would pretty much everyone uses non studless tyres in the UK.

I've just fitted Goodyear UltraGrip Performance Gen1 winter tyres to our Golf MK6 GTD after they won the Evo Winter Tyre Test and first impressions are very good. They are the XL ones so have a stiff enough sidewall for the golf, grip in wet and dry is decent, not as good as the Eagle F1AS2 in the dry but for what they are very good. They also don't like standing water as much but that that is just due to the tread patterns of winter tyres.
We have just had 4 - 6 inches of snow which has now frozen solid and in places I could plant the throttle with no wheel spin/traction control intervention. Enough said.

coyote_dc5

Administrator
Staff member
thanks for all comments :) think I'll look to get some of the ultra grip gen 1 but question is which tyre width is best 215 or 225. I've always gone for 225 for normal tyres but isn't a narrow tyre better in snow?

Also do I just replace the fronts though to save money leaving my Eagle f1 on rear?

Wingnuttzz

Advanced Member
coyote_dc5 said:
thanks for all comments :) think I'll look to get some of the ultra grip gen 1 but question is which tyre width is best 215 or 225. I've always gone for 225 for normal tyres but isn't a narrow tyre better in snow?

Also do I just replace the fronts though to save money leaving my Eagle f1 on rear?

Depends what width of wheel you are running in my opinion. I'm running standard wheels on the Golf so I went for the OEM sized tyre.

So on the DC5, on OEM wheels i'd probably go for 215 for winters with what you saying being correct - narrower is better in winter.

In an ideal situation you'd want winters all round as otherwise you have lots of front end grip and very little rear end grip which could mean lots of lift oversteer, very little rear braking etc.
As long you are aware of the fact that in snow/ice that you have less rear end grip and aren't leaning on the brakes into corners and stuff I think you are ok. Not ideal but ok.

coyote_dc5

Administrator
Staff member
Think I'll do all four for the mrs in her swift and do fronts for me. Gonna be an expensive online purchase :/ thanks for advise peeps

Crazylegs

Advanced Member
TyperItr said:
I like the Sound of option 2. Hmmmm... what AWD cars are there available :xconfused: One springs to mind and I think the majority of people on here would come to the same conclusion that is of course an EVO (or some people prob think Subaru)
Subarau Forester?

coyote_dc5

Administrator
Staff member
Yeah if I decided on a new fit for purpose awd, it would need the ground clearance too ideally so either that or go boring with something like a suzuki vitara, or an older cross over style vehicle. Cause I'll still need it for motorways and long journeys the traditional 4x4 probably isn't suitable

p1tse

Advanced Member
I've got a set of spare wheels if anyone required them for winter use (based in bristol) as needs new tyres all round

I've ran winters on rwd with ice and snow through exmoor and highly recommend winter tyres
Even ran them through spring and the grip was good on higher temperature days, mine were average falken euro winters

mikeyw85

Well my Khumo's performed pretty well in the snow this morning. Negotiated hills up and down and barely slipped at all.

I'd maybe have those wheels you're selling, Patch_teg. You're quite a long way from me though unfortunately.

Crazylegs

Advanced Member
coyote_dc5 said:
Yeah if I decided on a new fit for purpose awd, it would need the ground clearance too ideally so either that or go boring with something like a suzuki vitara, or an older cross over style vehicle. Cause I'll still need it for motorways and long journeys the traditional 4x4 probably isn't suitable

You can get Forester Turbo's for really cheap now too.

adam.

Advanced Member
I took mine out today for the first time since it's been really cold, on AD08Rs, driving appropriate to the conditions I didn't find it all that slippery.