Winter Wheels

sh33n

Advanced Member
How many of you run winter wheels with winter(ish) tyres?

Was considering getting some darker alloys to save the white ones in the winter and also get some tyres that were more suited for the British winter time.

Anyone got a recommendations? I might just keep an eye out for some Civic R alloys on fleabay if there are any going for a decent price, this fit ok yer?

crxvtec

Advanced Member
Yanks use EP3 alloys on their DC5s. They should fit OK (but they are hella ugly on the DC5 - just don't suit)

I've not been tempted to run winter tyres/wheels as winters down here aren't severe enough to justify it. I think it's for really cold climates like northern England, Scotland.

sh33n

Advanced Member
SpaceMonkey said:
Mine doesn't come out in shiz weather :oops:
Lucky!

I wasn't thinking actual winter tyres as such, just maybe tyres that are more designed for the wet instead of the dry. Altough I think the Goodyear F1s I have work well in the wet, are pretty damn useless if it gets a bit worse.

I work in a village and have to drive the DC5 everyday as it's my only car.

Hmmm £500 on some new alloys and tyres, or £500 on a shit car to leave the DC5 at home :shock: Worth thinking about actually.

crxvtec

Advanced Member
I'd say the latter. You can get Volvo estates quite cheap. Let them swill in mud whilst your teg sits at home pristine.

Duncs

not a bad idea, my teg is a 'second' car.
my son having sold his civic needed a run around and we ended up buying a (don't laugh)

1986 1.1 205, 12 months MOT, taxed to the end of Jan 07, 61k from new, loads of history, only 2 lady owners (the last 1 owned the car since 1989) reason for selling she decided to give up driving at the age of 93 :!:
all this for the princely some of £350, and no i did not bully the old lady into selling it, bought it from her youngest son.

sh33n

Advanced Member
lol!

Been looking at 205 GTi's, probably a 1.6, seen a few around for £600 odd, about 100k, how are these to run, insure etc?

Could make a fun round around (if they are reliable enough) and could strip it for track days come the summer :)

Any other recommendations, wouldn't want to spend more than £600 odd though really.

crxvtec

Advanced Member
205 GTis are great fun, though they are notorious for kangarooing at low rpm and for lift-off oversteer (many ended up in ditches and hedgerows).

Get a 1.9 if you can - they're stonking.

Another option is to get yourself on www.hondacrx.co.uk/forum and get a cheapy CRX.

sh33n

Advanced Member
Can't get on with those crx looks at all!!

Anyone know any decent pug websites to do a bit of research on them?

Rob CTR

Advanced Member
SpaceMonkey said:
Mine doesn't come out in shiz weather :oops:
Mine will but stays tucked up in the garage when i'm not using it

Winter just means even more cleaning of the alloys every two days lol

Rob CTR

Advanced Member
BadBadtz said:
sh33n said:

I used to be a member here when I owned a Pug 306:

http://www.pgac.co.uk/

Pug chassis' are very good! And the Pug 205 is such a fun car
Nick what was your name on there? i used to be a moderator on that forum - was a member for 4 years!

BadBadtz

Advanced Member
Rob CTR said:
BadBadtz said:
sh33n said:

I used to be a member here when I owned a Pug 306:

http://www.pgac.co.uk/

Pug chassis' are very good! And the Pug 205 is such a fun car
Nick what was your name on there? i used to be a moderator on that forum - was a member for 4 years!
Same as this one BadBadtz

Were you the one who created those two CTR Vids?