Wipers gone haywire

lucas_dc5

My front wipers seem to have gone slightly mental! When I'm driving the car at low speed they follow the correct path but slam into the plastic trim at the bottom of the windscreen, then when I drive at anything above 20mph they slam into the A-pillar and stop about six inches above the bottom of the windscreen. Any ideas what is causing this or how to fix it?

dave7368

Advanced Member
have you had a windscreen replaced recently?

check your nuts are tight where the wiper arm fixes to the splined shaft..

PORTHOS

Resident Rembrandt
As above, check those nuts and if needs be, run the wipers without arms so they are re set to the down position and re-fit the wipers.

lucas_dc5

Hi sorry for late response been really busy haven't had time to check this. I haven't had the windscreen replaced, but I tried the suggestions tonight with the following results: The nuts were tight so it wasn't that. I took the wiper arms off and ran the motors, then refitted the wiper arms - still didn't fix it. I took the arms off again and had a look at the motor and teeth are stripped on one side, same on the wiper arm. I'm guessing they're just slipping each other when the motor runs? What so you guys reckon?