Worst day of my life...Help and opinions need please

coolerking

Advanced Member
Hey guys,

my engine unfortunately is fornicated I think, I was up my mates house giving it a wash, blue sky and sunshine, was driving home evening time, on the motorway all of a sudden there was a lightning storm, I was right in the middle of it, everyone was doing 30mph because of the poor visibility,

I came off my exit, took a left turn after a roundabout, to be greeted with a flood could not see it coming unfortunately, engine completely died on 2 seconds later, smoke pouring out also :(, i was the only car there, so I had to get out and push, thankfully 2 guys from a lorry helped as well, looks like I was the car that found out that no-one could go this route, 2 hours later 911 recovery came, tried a number of things but they informed me it was the hydraulics, water in the engine, pistons etc. starter motor was fine, no water mark,

they reckon it was the CAI, and water has got in that way, now I was absolutely devastated, sitting myself waiting 2 hours with my dead teg, was close to tears lol

Now I know these guys sometimes like to paint a bleak picture, I'm not holding out much hope to be honest, But the engine will need to be stripped back to see the extent of the damage,

I was wondering if anyone could give their thoughts on this? is it a complete new engine job?? or whats the case?

the cars recently had a full respray, new wheels, everything is unblemished on the car, recent gearbox rebuild as well and its only 63k on the clock, so im definetely rebuilding it anyway

what do you guys recommend?? try and repair it? or spend some more cash and get a full new engine built to my spec, high comp N/A and get something better than I started with??

all opinions and help is greatly appreciated as always guys

one unhappy dude just now lol

Benny-coupe

Advanced Member
What's the worst that can come of this
You'll have a faster newer engine !!
Bad luck but see the bright side right now instead of 3 months from now hi comp sounds pretty good mate

rascal69

Advanced Member
I would just build the engine you have.
High comp with cams.
Unlucky. Some guy up here had the same problem. Performance tek in glasgow recovered it

coolerking

Advanced Member
aye I was straight on the phone to gerry, gonna see him tomorrow and discuss options with him and TDI, he's gonna come pick it up sometime this week

yeah I'm determined to have something that was better than what I had, If I'm gonna spend that kinda cash I want something better than I had before

rascal69

Advanced Member
aye I was straight on the phone to gerry, gonna see him tomorrow and discuss options with him and TDI, he's gonna come pick it up sometime this week

yeah I'm determined to have something that was better than what I had, If I'm gonna spend that kinda cash I want something better than I had before
So it was yours? Really bad luck. Never good but a high comp engine with cams will be awesome. Rrc intake and it should make really good power.

coolerking

Advanced Member
mines was recoverd by 911 first, then I spoke to gerry, just happened last night there,

Yeah I'm thinking RRC myself, I was running 253bhp there, anything over 265 and I would be happy, just happy to be able to drive it lol

civicjordan281

Advanced Member
My mate suffered the same faite in his dc2, he also had a injen cia, he took the plugs out and chranked it untill all the water came out, plugs back in boom she fired up and it's been fine for like 2months! could be worth ago mate! But sorry to hear this :(

C&S Evo7

Administrator
Staff member
well, all may not be lost.
if you were going slowly and you sucked water into the engine it is not necessarily broken.

when the water enters the running engine, it cannot be compressed so normally just stalls the engine as it cant turn (they call this hydroloc) . if you were going slowly there is a chance by removing the water and changing the oil and filter it might be ok.

if you had more momentum and the engine stalled it is possible to bend the rods or jump the timing chain which will of course spell the end for most of the internal components. but thats not always the case.

personally i would remove the plugs, and try and turn over using the key, (it cant start but if it turns over all the water should blow out of the plug holes).

if it doesnt turn then sadly it probably spells the end and i would go to tdi.

if it turns over fine i would drop the oil (it will have water in it) and refill with some real cheapo stuff from halfords (its not worth potentially wasting good oil just to see if it might run)
at this point dont worry about the filter.

refit the plugs, cross your fingers and turn the key. If it starts and sounds normal go for a very short Few hundred yards or so gentle drive and give it a rev while rolling with the clutch in just to see if it sounds ok, DONT VTEC. as there will still be water in the crappy oil.

if all is ok, do an oil and filter change and go for another short drive check revs again , if happy then have a go with vtec.

i have seen this happen to several cars, in about 70% of them te engines have survived but it really depends how fast you were going and how much momentum you had .

for me for the sake of £20 worth of cheap oil and an hour or two labour i would try first.

dotty

Advanced Member
Unlucky mate.

There's been a discussion on here in the past regarding CAI intakes and their risk of hydrolock.

I'd be looking at a good engine bay filter when it gets fixed.

dave7368

Advanced Member
have to be a bit careful is all, i had an AEM CAI for nearly 4 years with no problems though, is just unfortunate..

dotty

Advanced Member
I'd rather not have that worry thanks all the same. ;)

As this example shows, you're more prone to hydrolock, even being as careful as can be :)

dave7368

Advanced Member
my new one will be an engine bay filter, i'm sure.. i wont need to worry about cold air intakes. :)

Alex_Wilson

Advanced Member
oh no! Mate this sucks big time im gutted for you :(

If you cant get it running get a high comp engine built, would be amazing

jasondc55

Advanced Member
I really feel for you that's so unlucky . I hope you can get away with removing the plugs. Looking at your right up show you have big love for your Honda so if it has damage the engine give it the best internals so she can sing sweet music to you.
Good luck and I have my fingers crossed for you.