Worth getting an original Jap double Din Stereo refitted?

gregb

Advanced Member
I just bought the car the other day and the previous owner gave me the JAp stereo that it came over with-http://www.addzest.com/ADDZEST_DYNA...s&maincat=audio&model_no=DMX7655z&subcat=2DIN.
Not a bad unit by all means and was launched in 2006 and pricey in it`s hayday.
I just want to pick up local Fm radio and play cd`s,nothing fancy :-"
Would it be worth getting an AM/FM band expander and getting it reinstalled or just spend the bit extra for another basic unit?

oregato

Advanced Member
People say that getting a band expander won't be the same quality as a new FM radio.

I've installed a band expander in my dads car and it's been going for 5 years. There are times when the reception isn't the best, but overall, it's not actually that bad.

There are a few nice headunits out there at the moment but it's up to you I guess.

I replaced my original double din with a Sony USB headunit and love it. Great to be able to copy songs onto a memory stick and put it in the car.

Also, I'm not sure about the one you have, but is the writing in Japanese? If so, then you'll probably get frustrated with trying to work out which button does what.

gregb

Advanced Member
The buttons on the face are all in english,think it`s just some of the display would have some crazy jap lettering but that wouldn`t bother me once i could change tracks and tune through FM.

Could cost up to E50 before i find out how good/bad it is,just was hoping others had gone through with doing it and had some pros/cons.

blueguy

Resident J's whore
Thought it might be worth a mention that the radio reception in the 5 is a bit poo anyway, unless it's just my car.. :xcry: