Xbox DVD fault

coyote_dc5

Administrator
Staff member
Long shot here but has anyone ever had an xbox stop playing games but plays DVD movies fine?

If so, what's the steps to fix :) cheers

So far tried changing the laser out but didn't fix :xcry:

CaLi

Vtec Yoooooooo
I had this many years ago but as it was under warrenty M$ took it away and replaced the drive.

As you have already changed the laser and its still not working, drive most likely fooked so your looking at a new drive and flashing the old rom onto it so it works with your unit.

CaLi

Vtec Yoooooooo
im afraid i dont, it something i have never done but there are loads of topics if you google it. Jungle flash looks the one to use from what i can see. dont think there is oneone round here that could do this for you but i will ask.

stux

Advanced Member
I have a 2 xbox HD DVD players in the cupboard. they both play dvd's fine plus i have a couple of remote controls too. :wink:

my xbox died last year and i've got loads of leftover bits. #-o

coyote_dc5

Administrator
Staff member
Yeah i downloaded jungle flash that was the easy bit but challenges were:

powering drive - uses different connection to PC so had xbox next to pc to power. Only problem is xbox powers off with after 4mins if it doesnt see a drive, so not enough time to boot PC and flash.

After plugging drive via SATA into PC with Win7 it didnt recognise drive at all so I gave up!

I looked on u tube for process, and they all use this bespoke controller card which you plug drive into and then plug into PC so it sits between the two. This allows it to be powered and open the tray and its also then seen in windows. Not sure whats on this card but it does the trick!

I thought about getting one, then thought that i'd already spent on laser, then on new drive and controller card, I might as well just buy a new xbox lol

CaLi

Vtec Yoooooooo
yeah costs soon add up and time is money,

you'll be able to pick up an old elite cheap (i bought a premium console no hd, controler, psu or leads for £20)

or you can get a nice quiet new one :)