Your thoughts

Real R

Hi All,

I would like some of your opinions on a problem with my car.

When i am turning very slow i get this HUGE clunking sound like the wheels are about to fall off.

Took the car to the shop when i first heard it, they checked cv joints etc and didnt find anything (they thought i was crazy)

I notice that when i turn and the nosie starts if i sink the clutch the noise stops even tho i still have the wheel turn in the same direction.

So i can only assume its the diff or something like that.

Real R

What diff has it got?
I just got the car from Japan in Jan so i really dont know what kind of diff it has.

I was just talking to a mechanic and he explained that Race diffs do make a loud clunk when turning

Also when i drive the car pulls when i change gears. I am new to these cars so i would like some input from anyone that has any experience with this.

Stoo

Whining.....
Is the LSD very aggressive?

If so, and it makes noises at low speed turns, I'd suggest it was a plate type diff.

Real R

Is the LSD very aggressive?

If so, and it makes noises at low speed turns, I'd suggest it was a plate type diff.
It is honestly. Going around corners feels great, it really grips the road.. I just cant stand that annoying pull and loud noise.. What oil is recommended to use with these types of diff?

JamesSSB

Advanced Member
Honda mtf3 is what most use in the oem box. But depending on what diff is inside the box, it may use a different blend.

C&S Evo7

Administrator
Staff member
If it has a spoon, J's Racing or Kazz diff, they are all known as "plate type" the differential provides slip by using several clutch plates
clamped together with heavy springs with just enough give to allow a little slip when turning, this normally sounds bad when turning, but it will be more than one clunk, normally only audible when parking and would clunk every second or so during the turn if you are parking up. If the noise goes when you dip the clutch this is what i would look at.

an easy way to test is to jack the front of the car up so both wheels are off the ground, put in N, then turn one of the fronts and watch the other wheel, if you have a plate diff it will turn in the same direction, if you have a std diff it will not (or it may go opposite) the oem lsd is torsional (torque sensing) so normally requires a load to make it work, with the car jacked up its harder to get a load so the diff should work as a normal one.

Real R

Thanks for this info C&S EVO7, the car does make the noise only when parking or making very slow turns, it goes "clunk clunk clunk" LOL sorry thats the only way i can describe it. From all the info i am getting from websites and local shops it seems to be an aftermarket diff.

I will do as you say and jack the car up to test. Any recommendations on the kind of gear box oil i should use for future ref?