Spoon N1 with oem b pipe ?

p1tse

Advanced Member
What's the sound like replacing oem back box with a Spoon N1?

There are numerous threads about Spoon can be too loud, drone etc. but what is it like with the oem b pipe, type of noise, deep, raspy or just louder version of standard?

Assume it gets louder with spoon b pipe or more rasp?

Alternative would a spoon b pipe with oem back box make any noise variation over standard?

Chewy

Advanced Member
Haha, this is probably the most covered topic on the forum.

Spoon B pipe with OEM backbox is basically the same, not a whole lot of difference in sound.

Spoon N1 and OEM B pipe, it's loud, there is some drone, and quite loud on the over run...generally deeper than OEM with a fare amount of rasp.

Hope that helps.

p1tse

Advanced Member
Thanks

And apologies I've read through quite a lot of threads here and didn't really find answer

But a n1 with spoon b pipe will be marginally louder than a n1 and oem b pipe?

Chewy

Advanced Member
Sometimes threads repeat themselves over and over and only the main questions get answered, so the little side questions get missed.

Yeah, N1 and Spoon B pipe combination will be slightly louder, this will be down to the increased diameter of the pipe.

Linus27

Advanced Member
I have one (N1 and B pipe) and don't find it that loud. When cold it's a bit loud but no more than say somebody with a road race bike. After a few mins it goes much quieter and when driven normally is not loud at all. A little droney but nothing too bad although I would prefer more rasp. When you hit a VTEC is does however scream and sound epic. It also sounds very different from inside compared to outside and I've had lots of comments from people who say my cars sounds amazing.

p1tse

Advanced Member
Thanks

Seems a cheaper way to get rasp is a unsilenced b pipe with oem back box without it being too insanely loud

Alternatively I understand an exhausts manifold would help aid a bit more rasp, but becomes louder and in the realms of requiring a remap via k100/kpro

My worries with drone is that I have a 5.1Final drive and so revs a bit higher in gear to a standard car already

hondamad2204

Advanced Member
Im running this exact setup atm. Full oem system just an n1. would actually like it a little louder if honest, at 70 its perfectly acceptable. I would say there is no rasp though. When mated to my old unsilenced, it was mental. It will do for now. come along to some meets at Bristol and ill let you have ago.

p1tse

Advanced Member
Thanks Jimmer, very kind of you.

Did you ever have oem back box before as a comparison, as you say no rasp, but even over standard?

Any plan on change in back box, b pipe etc.
its a shame not all systems are compatible

I think a rm01a would be perfect to what I'm looking for, but even if I picked up a spoon b pipe it would be wasted as in time it wouldn't fit a rm01a back box etc.

MrRy

Advanced Member
Anyone who isn't a car person comments on how absurdly loud my n1 b pipe / n1 back box is. Even with the bung in. Test of the car is standard apart from a Top Fuel intake.

I'm swapping my N1 back box for OEM next weekend. If it doesn't sound deadly silent I'll sell the N1 amd bung as I want a system that is track friendly.

Krys23

I went from a skunk 2 megapower to complete standard system im after something raspy and not droney also the megapower was too loud from cold and too droney, was contemplating this myself getting a spoon middle section and keeping oe backbox, i think getting a larger centre section will allow greater flow then squeezing it through an oe backbox will create some nice back pressure

p1tse

Advanced Member
Krys23 said:
I went from a skunk 2 megapower to complete standard system im after something raspy and not droney also the megapower was too loud from cold and too droney, was contemplating this myself getting a spoon middle section and keeping oe backbox, i think getting a larger centre section will allow greater flow then squeezing it through an oe backbox will create some nice back pressure
Member Wocka has unsilenced b pipe, not sure what size but there's a clip here somewhere, which I think is quite raspy

martinj46

Advanced Member
MrRy said:
I'm swapping my N1 back box for OEM next weekend. If it doesn't sound deadly silent I'll sell the N1 amd bung as I want a system that is track friendly.
I'm running standard manifold, Spoon mid pipe and N1 back box. I've never had any problems with track day noise restrictions. It usually comes in about 95db

Krys23

Would be nice to get a stainless manifold spoon b pipe and keep the oem backbox, nothing better than a standard looking dc5 with a bit of poke and rasp in it

Chewy

Advanced Member
I went from full OEM>Skunk2 Mega power>Spoon N1 and Spoon B-pipe>OEM backbox with unsilenced B-pipe.

I'm still running the OEM backbox + Unsilenced B pipe now, and It's near as damn it what I want, It's deeper than OEM and has rasp, it's perfect for a daily driver IMO.

I personally want something slightly louder for summer, but for no drone in the cabin and no excessive noise from cold start for those early morning starts, I believe it's the best all rounder.

p1tse

Advanced Member
@Chewy, what size unsilenced have you gone for and is it custom or branded?

SnejVTEC

Advanced Member
Chewy said:
I went from full OEM>Skunk2 Mega power>Spoon N1 and Spoon B-pipe>OEM backbox with unsilenced B-pipe.

I'm still running the OEM backbox + Unsilenced B pipe now, and It's near as damn it what I want, It's deeper than OEM and has rasp, it's perfect for a daily driver IMO.

I personally want something slightly louder for summer, but for no drone in the cabin and no excessive noise from cold start for those early morning starts, I believe it's the best all rounder.
This is exactly what i wanted to read!
Time to get an unsilenced b-pipe.
Wonder how this setup will sound with my spoon decat? :)

Krys23

Same! Chewy hit the nail on the head for me , oem mid section makes my dc5 somewhat chuggy at low revs due to tiny pipe diameter, going to try sourcing a spoon mid section now

Chewy

Advanced Member
Patch_teg said:
@Chewy, what size unsilenced have you gone for and is it custom or branded?
Fortunately for me, I manged to get one second hand for silly money from another forum member.

Brand is unknown, but I have a feeling it was for an EP3...Measured before I put it on and it's 2", similar to the Super sprint one.

SnejVTEC said:
This is exactly what i wanted to read!
Time to get an unsilenced b-pipe.
Wonder how this setup will sound with my spoon decat? :)
I'd have a search for 'Wocka' or maybe he'll see the thread and comment.

I believe he may have ran this set up with a decat.

Either way, I'm going to film mine soon and watch his video back to back as I think the 2.5" he was running (prior to decat) sounded that much better.