Spoon N1 with oem b pipe ?

p1tse

Advanced Member
Pic taken from google searches
Even though a smaller pipe I think it looks good, although some youtube finds showing n1 with oem b pipe it's still relatively loud all the time :(

MrRy

Advanced Member
Early in the morning on cold idle mine sits at 86db... tested it this morning with the Sound Meter app 20" away from exhaust.

Removing it this weekend.

Lukeyboi89

Advanced Member
i have a 2.5" unsilenced b pipe that i would like to fit, as its less restrictive than the rm01a..

from what ive read, combining this with an n1 would be ridiculous, but with OEM its a tad too quiet, can anyone recommend another backbox for use with unsilenced b pipe that will still be track friendly and raspy?

i had the same unsilenced pipe on my ep3 with OEM backbox, and its raspy but still too quiet, you dont really hear much in the cabin over the induction kit....

also, would the rm01a backbox fit onto my b pipe? the b pipes were custome made by rob at areamotorsport for the ep3s, they are called R8BYB pipes, but that on youtube and you will see the vids.

they are direct fit and replacement for OEM, so would be perfect if the rm01a box would fit, anyone used that backbox on OEM or aftermarket b pipe? or am i right in thinking it may be a unique system..

edit: answer here, it doesnt fit OEM pipe :(...

http://type-r-owners.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?75161-Fujitsubo-rm01a-For-DC5-does-it-fit-the-OEM-B-Pipe

hondamad2204

Advanced Member
Lukeyboi89 said:
i have a 2.5" unsilenced b pipe that i would like to fit, as its less restrictive than the rm01a..

from what ive read, combining this with an n1 would be ridiculous, but with OEM its a tad too quiet, can anyone recommend another backbox for use with unsilenced b pipe that will still be track friendly and raspy?

i had the same unsilenced pipe on my ep3 with OEM backbox, and its raspy but still too quiet, you dont really hear much in the cabin over the induction kit....

also, would the rm01a backbox fit onto my b pipe? the b pipes were custome made by rob at areamotorsport for the ep3s, they are called R8BYB pipes, but that on youtube and you will see the vids.

they are direct fit and replacement for OEM, so would be perfect if the rm01a box would fit, anyone used that backbox on OEM or aftermarket b pipe? or am i right in thinking it may be a unique system..

edit: answer here, it doesnt fit OEM pipe :(...

http://type-r-owners.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?75161-Fujitsubo-rm01a-For-DC5-does-it-fit-the-OEM-B-Pipe
Why don't you modify the unsilenced B pipe to fit the RM01A ? should be a fairly cheap cut and weld of a different connection on one end. :)

Lukeyboi89

Advanced Member
Jimmer said:
Why don't you modify the unsilenced B pipe to fit the RM01A ? should be a fairly cheap cut and weld of a different connection on one end. :)
hmmm... never considered this, any idea how much we would be looking at roughly?

also, the ID of the b pipe is 2.5", but the rm01a is 2.38", so how would they line up?

would also not want to damage the rm01a so that i can put it back with the rm01a b pipe eventually...

Lukeyboi89

Advanced Member
called a few exhaust places up, they said it would be more cost effective to get a new b pipe made up rather than mess about modifying the R8BYB one...

they mentioned between £120 and £150 for a custom b pipe which isn't a bad shout, if i can sell the R8BYB one anyway...

hondamad2204

Advanced Member
Was going to suggest it may be easier to get a new custom pip to the same diameter etc. Price seems about right too.

p1tse

Advanced Member
Lukeyboi89 said:
called a few exhaust places up, they said it would be more cost effective to get a new b pipe made up rather than mess about modifying the R8BYB one...

they mentioned between £120 and £150 for a custom b pipe which isn't a bad shout, if i can sell the R8BYB one anyway...
I would be tempted with an unsilenced b pipe to my oem back box if you were selling, although I'm led to believe some work is required to make ep3 pipe to fit dc5, something about elongating holes?

Lukeyboi89

Advanced Member
Patch_teg said:
I would be tempted with an unsilenced b pipe to my oem back box if you were selling, although I'm led to believe some work is required to make ep3 pipe to fit dc5, something about elongating holes?
hi mate,

the b pipe is identical on both cars... its the backbox that needs the holes elongating (im pretty sure), which wont be a problem if you use the OEM backbox... for your daily drive patch i think this would be best as i said in the email, no drone either with R8BYB pipe and oem backbox, just rasp :D

Crazylegs

Advanced Member
When I was doing a lot of searching regarding the N1 before having to get a custom back box done through necessity. Most people fed back that you're best getting an Spoon N1 back box and mating it to an silenced Spoon B pipe, that way it won't be neighbour upsettingly loud but still loud.

I've heard the N1 in the flesh and they sound great at full chat but they're a tad too loud and I also don't like the rasp you get from them as it gives Honda's a bit of a 'farty' noise imo.

Great at full chat and lovely when they pop, but just not the farty rasp side of them.

Chewy

Advanced Member
Patch_teg said:
Some EP3 B-pipes do require you to elongate the 3 holes for the studs on the cat as they don't fit over.

MrRy

Advanced Member
Just to re-bump this thread, with stock manifold, cat, Spoon N1 B-pipe and OEM Backbox, at 5000rpm static my car was 94db using proper testing equipment.

This was at Croft where they have a lot of issues with noise complaints from neighbours.

Linus27

Advanced Member
Thanks MrRy, I have the same setup so good to know. I am about to fit a Spoon 2-1 so I may be a bit louder but Croft is a 105db so should still be easily quiet enough.

MrRy

Advanced Member
Linus27 said:
Thanks MrRy, I have the same setup so good to know. I am about to fit a Spoon 2-1 so I may be a bit louder but Croft is a 105db so should still be easily quiet enough.
No worries matey. The decat might change things as I read somewhere on here that someone running a Mugen Twinloop with decat was still hitting 100db!

I swear anyone doing Bedford at 88db in a standard DC5 would fail :lol:

Linus27

Advanced Member
MrRy said:
No worries matey. The decat might change things as I read somewhere on here that someone running a Mugen Twinloop with decat was still hitting 100db!

I swear anyone doing Bedford at 88db in a standard DC5 would fail :lol:
A bit of a worry that as I was going to do Bedford in June with Hondas on Track. It does say static is 101db for Bedford so pretty close to the mark.