Modmedia

Advanced Member
As title.

2nd gear hitting vtec loud noise of engine excrementting itself into a million pieces and massive piles of smoke out the exhaust and oil too.

Don't know if ill get away with a rebuild but basically what are my options for uprating it without spending thousands of pounds or would I be better just redoing it with standard parts.

Any help appreciated.

Modmedia

Advanced Member
And any decent people to take it to I'm Northern Ireland would be a help too.

Thanks.

coyote_dc5

Administrator
Staff member
Sorry to hear this fella :( Really depends on what's happened inside TBH. Best getting it trailered somewhere and taken apart to look. You'll then be able to do a cost comparison yourself uprate Vs OE.

jasondc55

Advanced Member
Speak to Dotty he will point you in the right direction . When you say you hit 2nd gear vtec and it just blew was you accelerating and miss shift back to 2nd from 3rd? Its quite unheard of these engines just blowing up. Have you sucked in water or perhaps used engine flush? What,t the history of the car ? In any way its sad that it has given up. :xaiweb4: :xdisguest:

C&S Evo7

Administrator
Staff member
really depends wht has happened exactly, but as above its VERY rare these things just let go for no reason

dotty

Advanced Member
If you are in NI then your options for tuners etc are pretty limited.

Though I have heard good things about AI AutoSport.

http://www.4ni.co.uk/104069x84x5_ai-autosport-antrim.htm

Modmedia

Advanced Member
Ai autosport are no more
Afaik.

It wasn't a missshift I was in second for a while and floored it and just about 6-6250rpm it went bang lost all drive and filled the carriageway with smoke so bad if there was anyone behind me they would have had to pull over for sure.

Sucks having spent £1500 in the last month Ming it immaculate and adding the toda n fully detailing it etc. Sucks!

C&S Evo7

Administrator
Staff member
so whats actually wrong with it? have you had a look? s there any oil on the floor to show a hole in the block etc?

Modmedia

Advanced Member
Doing a 60 hour week so no chance or desire to look near it to be honest :( no massive oil patches or anything just all looks normal but inside could be on bits for all I know. It turns over but won't start I only tried it once didn't want to again

C&S Evo7

Administrator
Staff member
ah ok, i would whip the plugs out and have a look a them and drain the oil when you get chance , it will give a good indication of what might have happened. obviously you are looking for black oily plugs or with bits missing and metalic debris in the oil

davidpingu

Advanced Member
To be honest mate, doing a cheap job and not having time to spend on it are two opposites. Either you've got to get a garage to do the work for you and pay for the priviledge or you've got to be willing to spend the time on it to keep costs down.
A couple of things to try first would be a compression and leak down test. If its turning but not starting it suggests to me there might be an issue with compression.
If it is that I'd just start spending an hour on it here and there. Start by taking off the inlet, you can see the inlet valves from there. To be honest though if it's valve related its more likely to be exhaust side I'd say.
The way I see it is the damage has been done so don't worry about turning it over more to help diagnose the fault. Is the ECU light on in stage 2 ignition? That's another thing you can check and diagnose if so.

If I was in your situation though I'd save on labour where I could. So long as you do enough diagnosis first your not making the situation worse by starting to strip the block because it's less labour to pay. See if you can find the fault first and take it from there. That's already money saved.

Once it's in bits you may be able to send the head away if it's that or if it's the block, whip that out and send away or just order a replacement.

All depends on your time/money ratio though. I can't afford to pay labour, I'd rather spend that money on parts so I've always tried to get my way through repair jobs with some help from the guys on the forum. I've learnt an aweful lot already in 7 months!! Good luck!!

Modmedia

Advanced Member
Sorry if I wasn't clear.. I dont want to do it on the cheap or quickly... I wouldn't really have the knowledge to mess about with things like this on my own without someone watching over me lol. Good advice though and I appreciate the time taken to write it for me. I will check the timing chain is still present also :)

Modmedia

Advanced Member
Taking it to East Coast Customs they are going to pick it up tomorrow morning and have a look at it and she what needs done.

Can't wait to get it back on the road.. May look at upgrading some bits if I need to replace major parts etc.

DC5_Bonson

Advanced Member
Sorry the hear that mate! If you need a replacement engine give Integrastella a ring, he should able to send you a second hand K20a block for a reasonable price and just get your garage to fit it for you.