350 miles per week too many??

Sylar122

Advanced Member
I sold my DC5 just over a month ago for these exact reasons! high milage, e.c.t and went for a 320D. I'm now buying my same teg back next week! lol unfortunately the teg is a rather addictive car ;)

Shiro_DC5

In fairness, my split over the last year was more like 6-7k in the DC5 and 13-14k in the EG4. But If the Civic is off the road for a year, I wouldn't hesitate to put 20k on the DC5 just because it is such a nice car to drive. So quiet and comfortable, it eats up the miles ;)

(Everything is relative... I'm sure a lot of people think the DC5 is hardcore... But it really isn't).

bennn

Advanced Member
Shiro_DC5 said:
So quiet and comfortable
Compared to what?! Being sat in a washing machine full of nails on a fast spin setting?!

Seriously though - I don't think you could call a DC5 quiet and comfortable. I love mine to bits but I'd have to admit you get a lot of road noise and the ride quality is shocking.

RE Spirit

Parts Trader
Hmm, I'm running coils and I think the ride quality is pretty good.

I guess this goes down to "everyone has different preferences" or "level of tolerance" :)

Shiro_DC5

bennn said:
Compared to what?! Being sat in a washing machine full of nails on a fast spin setting?!

Seriously though - I don't think you could call a DC5 quiet and comfortable. I love mine to bits but I'd have to admit you get a lot of road noise and the ride quality is shocking.
Haha, exactly what REspirit and I said! Everything is relative and SOME people will think it's raw. But to ME compared to all the cars I'VE ever owned it is not!

You should try going back to a 20 year old Civic rust bucket that the whole interior rattles over every bump and see how it compares sound wise. The bigger wheels roll over bumps much better too so ends up feeling smoother. I've only ever owned Hondas and they've mainly all been performance oriented models, so I'm used to the lack of sound deadening and stiffer-than-average-suspensions.

Also maybe worth bearing in mind that mine is a Facelift and it is well known they had big improvements in NVH over the PFL. :)

I'd also like to say that the DC5 is just an awesome all rounder. 1 perfect car. You can drive it gently and get 45mpg out of the thing whilst comfortably keeping up with average traffic!
or you can let loose up to the limiter and scare yourself silly :D

Rom

Advanced Member
Shiro_DC5 said:
Haha, exactly what REspirit and I said! Everything is relative and SOME people will think it's raw. But to ME compared to all the cars I'VE ever owned it is not!

You should try going back to a 20 year old Civic rust bucket that the whole interior rattles over every bump and see how it compares sound wise. The bigger wheels roll over bumps much better too so ends up feeling smoother. I've only ever owned Hondas and they've mainly all been performance oriented models, so I'm used to the lack of sound deadening and stiffer-than-average-suspensions.

Also maybe worth bearing in mind that mine is a Facelift and it is well known they had big improvements in NVH over the PFL. :)

I'd also like to say that the DC5 is just an awesome all rounder. 1 perfect car. You can drive it gently and get 45mpg out of the thing whilst comfortably keeping up with average traffic!
Ok...ill bite...NVH ?

Id say my DC5 is pretty civilised really, granted its stock bar a Twinloop and Mugen airbox. Its sporty, but not silly. That said, i guess most cars arent too bad, until we start putting coilies on, changing mounts etc :)
It certainly feels more grown up than my EF8. Ive done a couple of 100 ish mile journeys and found it fine. Note quite as refined as my Audi was, but thats not why i bought it! Certainly nicer than the EF8 or 205 for long journeys.

bennn

Advanced Member
Shiro_DC5 said:

I'm not complaining at all - as I said I love mine and wouldn't change anything about it. Personally I don't mind the road noise and stiffness.

I just don't think it can be referred to as quiet and comfortable. A range rover would be described as quiet and comfortable, but not a teg

Just because you personally are used to the road noise and bumpy ride doesn't mean its not there!

I'd bet the road noise and ride quality are a lot worse than probably 80% of the other cars on the road.

I do agree though as an all-rounder its a fantastic car.

ste01

Advanced Member
Shiro_DC5 said:
NVH improvements can't be that big, I drove your car at Torque GT last year back to back with a PFL and found zero noticeable difference! haha 😜

Shiro_DC5

I'm not going to argue, I think we've laboured this non-point long enough...

most recently:
My 04 S2000 had probably slightly more comfortable ride, but much noisier.
My 95 EG civic has a rougher ride and is noisier, with oem dc2 suspension conversion and 195/50/15 tyres. The interior rattles like it's been fitted with no fasteners whatsoever!
Funnily enough, even the missus' 04 Audi A3 2.0tdi dsg had a terrible ride/handling combo but... was... pretty quiet. urgh what a car.

As for NVH, I don't have experience, I was only going on what I've read!

At least we agree on something ;)

carlos7777777

Advanced Member
Well I think the nvh in the teg is not as bad as everyone is making out. I do love driving it and I dodge potholes and horrible roads anyways. So yea nvh is minimal :)

justJDM

Advanced Member
My teg is lucky to get that millage a month. I don't use it monday to friday as i work away. But i got a 1.0 corsa that does 65 miles to 10 pound. Only drive my teg on nice weekends. Spent to much on it to justify using it as a daily. Plus i get bored to quick. But tbh i can't see me ever parting with it.

Ek9.

Dc5 isn't raw when you compare it to the older hondas eg6,ek9 etc.
It's actually quite comfortable and quiet.
If it's like a washing machine with nails the car's broken.

bennn

Advanced Member
Ek9. said:
Dc5 isn't raw when you compare it to the older hondas eg6,ek9 etc.
It's actually quite comfortable and quiet.
If it's like a washing machine with nails the car's broken.
I was exaggerating to make a point that no one seems to get.

It will be quiet and comfortable compared to older Honda's but its still not a car you could call quiet and comfortable because it isn't built to be quiet and comfortable.

Compared to most the other cars on the road its not.

If someone wanted me to recommend them a car that's quiet and comfortable I'd recommend a Range Rover....not a DC5.

Shiro_DC5

Okay, one more time, with feeling...

The integra dc5, when compared to normal modern mundane family cars, is not quiet or comfortable.

The integra dc5, when compared, by me, to all my previous cars, is quiet and comfortable, in my opinion. This simply cannot be disputed.

Funnily enough, I have driven a 63reg full fat range rover on and off-road. It was indeed very quiet and comfortable. It was also worth £95k if I remember rightly!

I have no idea what your experience with other cars is like, but I just don't find the dc5 to be as bad as you seem to.

Anyway, I shall continue rocking mine 300miles a week for as long as I have the civic off the road. Starting to miss that little bugger... :)

Dan34

Advanced Member
Dan34 said:
My MOT is due next week. Just checked my mileage and i've done just a shade over 20,000 miles between MOT's :xaiweb6: Was 19,000 the year before!

I'm beyond caring about the mileage on mine now, I love driving it and can't see me selling it for a long time :)
Just to prove this:

Completely worth it though :)

DC5RS

DC5
you buy a car to drive and enjoy it,regardless if its a daily or weekend car. Whats the point of owning such a great car when it sits in the garage? You afraid of reselling millage issue? I prefer to lose 2k and enjoy the car rather than having it a garage king. 2k wont change my life but surely 2 years driving the car will be remembered and YOU ONLY LIVE ONCE