A warning to all DC5 owners

Holmesy

UMG supplied it and they were superb. really nice blokes. i paid through auto planet in chingford and they are the cowboys. i test drove it and got it on a good day. my bad luck.

Adz

Advanced Member
Everyone chill out??.. don't see the need for havin an argument over this?.. the lads got a problem.. maybe one of us mite be able to help fix it?.. that is why we're all here is'nt it? information exchange?.. not bitch fightin?

Holmesy: Have you spoken to UMG about it?

Holmesy

no iv dealt solely with chingford and honda at ashford. honda have been helpfull but they have not got a clue wots wrong. autoplanet wanted me to underwrite the work and said theyd re-imburse me and havnt yet. they gave me a false fax number first, twice in a row. and then gave me one which worked and now i cant get the workshop to speak to me. every time it goes into honda at ashford it cost me another £70 and they drive it about for an hour and nothing happens. then as soon as i get 20 miles down the road it goes again.

Adz

Advanced Member
Ok, so wots the relationship between UMG and Chingford?

When you say it goes again.. wot does it do?.. just suddenly loose all power?.. can you give any more details?

It mite be an idea to try a different Honda dealer?.. I know it mite be a bit of a trek, but Steels Honda in Hereford would be your best bet.. They track the DC5 and therefore should have more experience with them?

Somone correct me if Im wrong on this 1?.... Dave?...

Unnamed_warrior

Advanced Member
OK .. lets try and help the lad... and mate we arent all saints on here... we just (well I don't anyway) tell everyone about it when I break the law :wink:

Anyway .. can you try and explain .. in detail if you can what the problem is... I have many good mechanic friends and I might be able to ask them your problem..

But I need more details... as for the warning lights... mate it depends on the problem ... IE if its a dirty oil filter or spark plugs are knackered you wont get any warning about that... on the other hand if its a blown MAF or sensor then you would get a warning .. or there would be a stored fault in the engine management system..

So please try and tell me what happens.. what the car feels like when it happens .. if there is any form of patten when it happens and we can try and help u solve it...

Saying that the car is crap just isnt going to help is it... !!!

UW

Holmesy

at random, (nite or day, cold or warm, dry or wet), the car all of a sudden looses all throttle response. sumtimes only a few seconds of lag then it accelerates although not as fast as it should, other times itl hardly accelerate at all in any gear. the problem is never the same, its not either working properly or not; sumtimes itl be just below par, others itl be downright frustrating to drive as you have to keep dropping gears to keep up with the traffic flow. had a stored code on the inlet temp sensor, but that was cleared and hasnt cum back even tho the fault still occurs.

feels like fueling, you can hear the induction noise wen the throttle opens but the engine doesnt respond.

scaryprowler

Advanced Member
Aaron...

Is this symptom similar to like when you have a cold engine... where you accelearate and theres a small delay before anything happens? (but obviously nothing happening for you)

Holmesy

as it happens yes it is, it will still VTEC tho althought the power is lumpy and it struggles up hills even when in VTEC.

MJ Type-R

Advanced member
Sorry to hear of all of these problems :!:

As your down in Kent, might be worth a trip to see Guy at CPL racing. He might be able to help.

I'm wondering whether its an ECU problem or just a sensor playing up. If its ECU, then Guy might be able to plug in a Hondata Unit to diagnose the problem.

When you brought the car, did you ask to see its auction data sheet :?:

If you can't get a resolution from whom you brought the car, the next route is legal action I am afraid to say.

Mike

Holmesy

well its not showing any fault codes at all on hondas diag system. im bankin on it playing up again 2day wen i take into honda to book its service so il get them to have another look. i know it wont play up tho.

Just been looking at an R34 Skyline GTS which my insurance company have quoted me happy on, so if this problem isnt sorted in a few months im gonna buy it. it pains me every time i look at my car knowing i cant take any friends out in it to show them how good it is as i can almost garantee itl not run right. i may not have EVER had it run right and i might be in for a shock when its fixed but i have low hopes.

As for legal action the warrenty i have with the car is of the 90 days purchase variety, and them 90 days are almost up. :? although i am assured that all faults recorded before that deadline will continue to be dealt with.

as for my steering rack im told there is one tool in the country for sorting the torque settings and its on its way to ashford and they are sorting it FOC, which is a breath of fresh air for once.

Unnamed_warrior

Advanced Member
Ok mate

sounds a bit odd this but I would agree with mike.. although I am surprise that your fault engine light hasn't come on... I think it could be your temp sensor has gone or another one of your sensor's playing up..

I know this is a really silly question but you do have enough oil in the car.. low oil causes the VTEC to play up... but I am sure you have checked that :wink:

Anyway yeah you could go to guy who could plug in a Hondata ecu and that might be able to tell you what is going on .. or you can do what a lot of forum members have done and are very happy with his services and go and see Tom from TGMSport..

He knows these cars very well and will most likely be able to sort this out for you without any problems.. Unfortunalety from where you live he isn't that close but I live SE London and travel the hr and half journey to him as I think its worth fit.

Here is his number...Tom 012528 11972 tell him Mark gave you his number..

Explain to him what is going on and I reckon he might have an idea..

UW

Unnamed_warrior

Advanced Member
Holmesy said:
as for my steering rack im told there is one tool in the country for sorting the torque settings and its on its way to ashford and they are sorting it FOC, which is a breath of fresh air for once.
Whats wrong with your rack mate...

Are you talking about that rack problem... mate dont waste your time on that.. believe me.. your car is alright as far as that is concerned..

Just have a look to seeif you have a washer type thing on one of the bolts.. there is a picture of it in that steering rack post .. if its there ... dont waste your money getting it checked..

Oh and Tom has that tool if you do want it checked... so there are two tools in the country.... oh and so did my local honda dealer :roll:

UW

Duckhunter

Honda should also be able to check with HONDA uk who will ask Honda Japan if your car has had it done. All cars that have the work done in japan are logged by chassis number.

Tom also managed to fix my car good and proper :xvtec:

DH

Adz

Advanced Member
Im no expert but the fact the problem is so extreme and intermittant, its gotta be engine management!?.. be it sensor or ECU..
Id go with UT's suggestion and try the Hondata in place..

despite the unfortunate start, I hope all this has been of some help to you?..

Please let us know how you get on?.. and we hope it gets resolved soon!

Unnamed_warrior

Advanced Member
Yeah Duckhunter had a strange ide problem, took it to honda .. they weren't sure...

Took it to Toms... it worked out to be the Trottle body ide sensor had gone.. (once again no fault code showed) Tom changed it and all was great ..

UW

Unnamed_warrior

Advanced Member
adz said:
Im no expert but the fact the problem is so extreme and intermittant, its gotta be engine management!?.. be it sensor or ECU..
Id go with UT's suggestion and try the Hondata in place..
Who is UT :roll:

Unnamed_warrior

Advanced Member
LOL thats ok.. you thought anymore about Saturday mate..

Come and watch if you like.. get some passager laps etc..

UW

Holmesy

i get that horrible clunking sumtimes when i go round mild corners under 10mph which is wot worried us thats all. they are doin it for nothing anyway so it wont hurt.

i will giv tom a ring later on 2day, see wot he can do. thanks for the number its much appreciated!

I check the oil once a week and strangely when i first got the car the oil was dissapearing at 1 litre a week (1000 miles tho) which is normal, but now its using hardly any.