AD08R vs Pilot Sport

Crazylegs

Advanced Member
carl hammond said:
I think you‘ll enjoy it more, I did a number of 30 min sessions on them and no issues ever. I was getting them to 32 degrees hot and they stayed close to that the whole time and on that day it was hot (25-28) throughout the day which in a car with heating on isn‘t ideal lol.
Tbh mate I'll be over the moon if I can get anywhere near 30 min sessions, I tend to come off the track quite quickly as I'm worried about binning the car if I get too carried away. The tyres last time didn't help either really.

Will be interesting to see how the AD08's hold up. Why did you have the heating on lol?

carl hammond

Advanced Member
Crazylegs said:
Tbh mate I'll be over the moon if I can get anywhere near 30 min sessions, I tend to come off the track quite quickly as I'm worried about binning the car if I get too carried away. The tyres last time didn't help either really.

Will be interesting to see how the AD08's hold up. Why did you have the heating on lol?
Windows cracked open a bit and heating on with vents facing up and out as it was such a hot day so adding all the addition engine assisted cooling as I could lol

Crazylegs

Advanced Member
Ah I get you now, trying to keep the car cool.

I'll report back on the tyres after the trackday mate.

SamDC5

Advanced Member
I did 3 laps of the ring on the bounce on AD08R's and I didn't feel them going off. Just depends how smooth you are too, they're a good all round tyre to be honest. Much better than PS's on track.

Sent from my SM-G975F using Tapatalk

Crazylegs

Advanced Member
Thanks Sam, they'll probably be fine for me as I won't be pushing anywhere near as hard as some as you do. Haven't you switched to Nankang's now?

SamDC5

Advanced Member
Crazylegs said:
Thanks Sam, they'll probably be fine for me as I won't be pushing anywhere near as hard as some as you do. Haven't you switched to Nankang's now?
Yeah they'll be more than up to the task. Just make sure you look after the pressures and temperatures.

I have mate yes on the AR1 compound now.

Crazylegs

Advanced Member
SamDC5 said:
Yeah they'll be more than up to the task. Just make sure you look after the pressures and temperatures.

I have mate yes on the AR1 compound now.

Thanks Sam for the advice, yes I'll be running at 25psi cold or thereabouts.

How you finding the AR1? I saw a set for a customer that had been delivered to VTEC Direct, they look an amazing tyre!

I quite fancy Dunlop Direzza DZ03G next as I drive quite hard but I wonder whether they might be a bit OTT for the road, the grip levels are supposed to be incredible.

SamDC5

Advanced Member
Crazylegs said:
Thanks Sam for the advice, yes I'll be running at 25psi cold or thereabouts.

How you finding the AR1? I saw a set for a customer that had been delivered to VTEC Direct, they look an amazing tyre!

I quite fancy Dunlop Direzza DZ03G next as I drive quite hard but I wonder whether they might be a bit OTT for the road, the grip levels are supposed to be incredible.
I've not really had chance to test them out properly. The grip levels are on another level however.

If you wanted to upgrade to a semi slick like DZ03G ideally you would need coilovers and a track geometry setup as you wouldn't be getting the full benefits of a proper semi-slick.

Crazylegs

Advanced Member
SamDC5 said:
I've not really had chance to test them out properly. The grip levels are on another level however.

If you wanted to upgrade to a semi slick like DZ03G ideally you would need coilovers and a track geometry setup as you wouldn't be getting the full benefits of a proper semi-slick.

The Nankang sound like a cracking tyre to be fair.

Hmmm, didn't really think about that. So not worth it for the road then no?

I won't be upgrading to coilovers or a trackday setup anytime soon.

SamDC5

Advanced Member
Crazylegs said:
The Nankang sound like a cracking tyre to be fair.

Hmmm, didn't really think about that. So not worth it for the road then no?

I won't be upgrading to coilovers or a trackday setup anytime soon.
They're pointless on the road as you would never get them up to the required operating temperature. AD08R are a perfect balance of road and track. I hate my AR1's on the road.

carl hammond

Advanced Member
Avoid AR1‘s for the road at all costs they won‘t last 5 mins as they are a very good semi slick and won‘t get up to temp enough. Also they are not that great in the wet on track let alone on a dirty uneven wet road :)

carl hammond

Advanced Member
Just got a promo email from Tegiwa. They are selling AD08RS' now
Had this also, I am unsure about them though as it reads as a more economical tyre which makes me wonder if it will be lesser grip on track. Although the tread looks the same I do wonder if it will perform the same and last as well as the older AD08R.

Details:

YOKOHAMA announced today the latest addition to its global flagship ADVAN brand. The “ADVAN NEOVA AD08RS", a street sports tyre, will be marketed in Europe only from this spring. The Company plans to gradually make the tire available in 31 sizes, ranging from 185/55R15 82V to 255/30R19 91W.

A re-engineered version of the “ADVAN NEOVA AD08R”, the “ADVAN NEOVA AD08RS” has been fine-tuned to meet Europe‘s ECE R117-02 S2WR2 regulation* and raise its environmental performance. While keeping the tread pattern that earned the “ADVAN NEOVA AD08R” a strong reputation for excellent control in dry and wet conditions and superior abrasion resistance, the “ADVAN NEOVA AD08RS” uses a new compound that reduces rolling resistance. The new tyre achieves an excellent handling and low fuel consumption that will fully satisfy driving enthusiasts craving for “speed & fun”.
* ECE R117-02 is an international standard established in June 2010 by the UNECE (United Nations Economic Commission for Europe) that stipulates technical requirements for tyre noise, rolling resistance and wet grip performance.

Rob_DC5

Advanced Member
I ended up giving the Pilot Sports a go, no bad but more of a road tyre. So opted for the R888R's which I'll be trying out next month.

Crazylegs

Advanced Member
What's the grip levels like with the Pilot Sport 4's, any good?

I've always wanted to try them but opted for AD08R this last time round.

Might see what the Pilots are looking as a next tyre. I know they're supposed to be good in the wet aren't they?

Reggie91

Advanced Member
DC5 RAW said:
I ended up giving the Pilot Sports a go, no bad but more of a road tyre. So opted for the R888R's which I'll be trying out next month.
I've always wanted to try out some R888R's. Anyone know if there worth the extra £££ over the AD08r's?

SamDC5

Advanced Member
Reggie91 said:
I've always wanted to try out some R888R's. Anyone know if there worth the extra £££ over the AD08r's?
Depends what you want out of a tyre? R888R are of equal to AR1's I'm assuming? Pointless for the road but will be an upgrade for sure on track. You'll also probably want wets if you're going to a proper semi-slick.

carl hammond

Advanced Member
Depends what you want out of a tyre? R888R are of equal to AR1's I'm assuming? Pointless for the road but will be an upgrade for sure on track. You'll also probably want wets if you're going to a proper semi-slick.

Pretty much this, I have used 888R's on a 450hp Turbo's EG civic track car my friend had and they are superb, but I wouldn't want to use them or AR1's on the road tbh, spare wheels with track tyres is ideal.

My future if I keep the car would be

Wheel Set 1 = AR1's or R888R's (AR1's more than likely) - Track only
Wheel Set 2 = AD08R's or PS4's - Road / Wet trackdays if I ever get unlucky

Reggie91

Advanced Member
Yeah I was thinking about getting a second set of wheels that I was going to put some sticker rubber on.

In all honesty, the ad08'rs are good enough for me atm. Haven't got to the point where they're not performing