AD08R vs Pilot Sport

carl hammond

Advanced Member
Yeah I was thinking about getting a second set of wheels that I was going to put some sticker rubber on.

In all honesty, the ad08'rs are good enough for me atm. Haven't got to the point where they're not performing
No I haven't yet either, well not on the new setup. I maxed out the last and was loosing mechanical grip a fair amount on my last few outings, however the last trackday I did (with the new setup) although faster in many places I was slower overall due to the brakes... I had mastered the Dixel ES pads and how progressive they were to be able to brake as and when needed for every bend, but with the Project Mu HC+800's everything changed and I found myself braking at the same time and nearly stopping as they are so much more aggressive so I lost far too much speed :-(

All a part of the fun changing things up and learning and re-masting things, but with tyres that's an expensive test lol.

carl hammond

Advanced Member
Crazylegs said:
What is mechanical grip?
Hi mate mechanical grip is the grip between the tires and the track that‘s provided entirely by the suspension and tires.

Aerodynamic grip is caused by shape of wings and shape of body. It‘s what you think of when you hear downforce.

You can have Aerodynamic and Mechanical grip, aerodynamic is more the grip caused by wings etc, the grip that would be lost if the car was static as it‘s only applied once moving

Rob_DC5

Advanced Member
That's what I ended up doing, two exact same sets of wheels, one with R888R's for track and the other with Pilot Sports for wet.

I ran the Pilot Sports round Nordschleife in May in the wet, held up ok but couldn't give it 100%.

Crazylegs

Advanced Member
carl hammond said:
Hi mate mechanical grip is the grip between the tires and the track that‘s provided entirely by the suspension and tires.

Aerodynamic grip is caused by shape of wings and shape of body. It‘s what you think of when you hear downforce.

You can have Aerodynamic and Mechanical grip, aerodynamic is more the grip caused by wings etc, the grip that would be lost if the car was static as it‘s only applied once moving
Thanks mate for the explanation.