AEM long arm/injen CAI

linzi94

Advanced Member
logik said:
Hmm i was under the impression that the AEM V2 was a direct replacement and nothing had to be moved around in the engine bay.
i was under that impression too.

the aem cai wich has the long arm that winds its way under the battery tray, down behind the front bumper, requires the relocation of the washer bottle to the opposite side.

is the v2 not just like a short arm?

mikegsi

Staff member
confusion ahoy!!

v1 is the cai kit and needs adjustments as above to get it to fit

v2 is the short ram kit and requires no adjustments to get it to fit, however the owner would require hospital treatment after fitting one if i ever caught them :wink:

logik

Advanced Member
mikegsi said:
confusion ahoy!!

v1 is the cai kit and needs adjustments as above to get it to fit

v2 is the short ram kit and requires no adjustments to get it to fit, however the owner would require hospital treatment after fitting one if i ever caught them :wink:
LOL explain your v2 statment please!!

DolphiN Tech

Advanced Member
I think what mike is saying is that they're the spawn of satan, suck hot air from the engine bay which doesn't help performance, and should be left to likes of Corsas and Saxos.

I'm sure he'll be here to confirm shortly.

mikegsi

Staff member
why not get a slightly cheaper k+n 57i kit instead, they're proper mint as well!!

logik

Advanced Member
Running a direct cold feed pipe from the "Spot Light" area of the bumper to the filter head would supply a good cold air feed surely?

Yella Fella

Nismo Wannabe
ok can someone explain what AEM kits out there? from reading above there is the following...

AEM short arm
AEM long arm
AEM v1 (CAI based?)
AEM v2 (short arm?)

and then there is injen CAI, for these type of induction kits anyways.

Like i said, one Tom @ TGM had, he mentions its a long arm but needing to replace the washer bottle.

I'm after a CAI equivalent, or am i better off getting the injen instead?

dotty

Advanced Member
Yella Fella said:
ok can someone explain what AEM kits out there? from reading above there is the following...

AEM short arm
AEM long arm
AEM v1 (CAI based?)
AEM v2 (short arm?)

and then there is injen CAI, for these type of induction kits anyways.

Like i said, one Tom @ TGM had, he mentions its a long arm but needing to replace the washer bottle.

I'm after a CAI equivalent, or am i better off getting the injen instead?
Check my post above.

AEM V2 is the short arm
AEM V1 is the CAI (long arm)

logik

Advanced Member
Ok got a quote of 680 euro for the GruppeM and 340 for the AEM V2. Now i know it will suffer from slight heat soak but as i thought, they recommend that you fit a Cold Air Feed Pipe up to the Cone Air Filter and this will for sure help with heat soak problems. Now i know this does not come into affect sitting in traffic or the likes as the car is not moving but the 340 euro saved from going with the AEM would go towards my new exhaust system.

I cannot part with 680 euro for an induction kit.

DolphiN Tech

Advanced Member
In that case, perhaps you'd be even better served by modding an OEM airbox and fitting a drop-in filter. Perhaps even a nice forward facing scoop feeding from the front crossmember area.

No heat soak issues, and even more money towards your exhaust. :)

spike

I have an Injen CAI fitted about 6 months now. I'll try post some pics later. I paid €350, delivered from the states, and at that got caught about €70 tax..

Fitted it myself, comes with a replacement washer bottle, front left splashguard needs to be cut to fit the pipe out, but pretty straight forward.

Found the difference very noticable straight away. No more heatsoak, pulls better, great noise.

As for water, we've had a lot of rain here in Ireland in the past 6 months. Never had a problem. My car is pretty low, and even at that you'd need to drive though a pretty big puddle to suck water in. You're going to be conscious of it and never that stupid hopefully. I took it off a few weeks ago to see if it had gotten dirty/wet with all the wet weather driving, and it hadn't. Where it sits it gets a nice cold feed from the brake duct, but the splash guard underneath protects it from any muck/stones/ and from getting really wet.

I'd recommend it as a good alternative to the Gruppe M.

linzi94

Advanced Member
i dont want to sound like a broken record where CAI's are concerned and no one else seemed to have the problems i did with mine but...

aswell, as the damage to air con pipes, fifth gear and the fifth and sixth gear synchro, when i removed the intake pipe lots of dirty water ran out of it.

ive been modifying cars for over 10 years and can safely say ive never had any bother with any kind of modifications which resulted in as much damage and expense as the CAI caused.

i see the benfits but would be utterly reluctant to instal such a kit ever again.

Yella Fella

Nismo Wannabe
i have read and hear all of what has mentioned so besides gruppeM, i think im gonna look for an AEM v1 long arm, or injen CAI then... assuming them both are literally the same type of fitments required.

gbell9

i took my AEM long arm off at the weekend as i wasnt that impressed with it because it didnt seem to give me the same low down grunt. i think it is something to do with the standard plug on the standard pipe that comes off the engine! it does make the car sound great though. did anyone else find this problem?

logik

Advanced Member
gbell9 said:
i took my AEM long arm off at the weekend as i wasnt that impressed with it because it didnt seem to give me the same low down grunt. i think it is something to do with the standard plug on the standard pipe that comes off the engine! it does make the car sound great though. did anyone else find this problem?
What did you have on before the long arm?

gbell9

was a real ruff looking arm going to the back of the car when i got it with a k&n air filter on it!