Any alternative for OEM honda ballast?

truupR

Advanced Member
The lights on the 'teg are playing up where when cornering at a moderate angle - the lights flicker :( I've had it on 2 occasions where one of the lights has gone out completely and didn't come back on until I turned all the lights off and back on again.

Are there any cheaper alternatives to the ballasts that come from Honda seeing as they're £160 a piece?!! I know a lot of HID kits nowa days are actually an MOT failure? (had an aftermarket hid kit on an old astra GSI which was advised that I get them back to standard before MOT otherwise it'll fail?)

Any ideas?

53 Teegwa

Advanced Member
2nd hand ones are generally cheaper (I have one)

Also OEM s2k, Mitsubishi Etc ones work again cheap and expensive 2nd hand ones.

Depends what you want to so really as the only cheap alternative is to use an aftermarket kit but as you say this has its own issues involved.

anton1234

Advanced Member
hids.co.uk will sell a Complete kit for under £100, had mine in for 3 years now and still going strong, after market kits won't fail an mot, but because they are used in headlights/cars that are not designed to run hids the beam isn't focused at the correct angle causing that awful glare which blinds other motorists hence why it's a fail

Anton

Erm

Advanced Member
I've got an aftermarket kit too. No issues for me with them. Mot time is a tricky one as really no dc5 is road legal with hids fitted as don't have headlight washers. Should have been removed for the sva. However from an mot inspector unless it can be proven the light output is over a certain level they can't fail you...

LiamGTR

Advanced Member
I had a £30 HID 5200k kit off eBay on my Celica for the last 2 years, definitely don't pay over the odds for one.

truupR

Advanced Member
so I could use an aftermarket HID kit but due to the car being fitted with factory HID's and how the car varies from a UK standard car they cant fail me come MOT time?

edit: also could anyone link me to a kit they use currently?

Erm

Advanced Member
truupR said:
so I could use an aftermarket HID kit but due to the car being fitted with factory HID's and how the car varies from a UK standard car they cant fail me come MOT time?

edit: also could anyone link me to a kit they use currently?
I got this one.... http://www.hidkits.co.uk/d2r-35w-xenon-hid-conversion-kits.html with 6000k bulbs in the drop down box.... Only downside is you have to fabricate a mount for the ballast to the underside of the headlight as the old ballasts are designed to attach the bottom of the unit.

truupR

Advanced Member
Erm said:
I got this one.... http://www.hidkits.co.uk/d2r-35w-xenon-hid-conversion-kits.html with 6000k bulbs in the drop down box.... Only downside is you have to fabricate a mount for the ballast to the underside of the headlight as the old ballasts are designed to attach the bottom of the unit.
could I just go down a similar route and attach the ballast to the underside of the headlight where the OEM would normally be? My knowledge on cars is limited to say the least :p I'd normally pay to get these installed but debating installing the hid's with a mate who's slightly more handy with cars than I am, although he's not exactly got a load of experience working on cars....are they easy to fit? (taking into consideration the DIY ballast fitments) or should I leave it to a professional?

Erm

Advanced Member
truupR said:
could I just go down a similar route and attach the ballast to the underside of the headlight where the OEM would normally be? My knowledge on cars is limited to say the least :p I'd normally pay to get these installed but debating installing the hid's with a mate who's slightly more handy with cars than I am, although he's not exactly got a load of experience working on cars....are they easy to fit? (taking into consideration the DIY ballast fitments) or should I leave it to a professional?
They won't fit in the exact same place as the OEM ones, I used one of the screw holes for the OEM ballast (trimmed down) and then some cable ties to attach it on the other side. It sits fairly snug where the light sits by the front end of the car at the bottom of the lights so need to make sure you've got enough clearance when the light is sat back in place. Its a fairly simple install to get it all working. Just take time to keep all the wiring tidy and secure when in place.

Front bumper has to come off btw

truupR

Advanced Member
sorry to bring this back up! I'm about to order a new HID kit as the passenger side ballast has now completely sh*t out on me and refuses to work.

Will these that I've been linked to work as straight 'plug and play' so to speak. As in no wiring changes need to be made, can just plug em into the existing wiring etc. and they'll work? (obviously make a new place for the ballast to go)

Confused as a mate just fitted a new hid kit on his teg but he had a H1 kit which he fitted with angel eyes... any input appreciated as I'm ordering as soon as I know they're the right ones :p

truupR

Advanced Member
nvm, just went for it and ordered them. don't want to get pulled for having a headlight out :<

Erm

Advanced Member
You want the d2r kit as thats the size of the bulbs that fit the dc5 oem headlights

truupR

Advanced Member
Erm said:
You want the d2r kit as thats the size of the bulbs that fit the dc5 oem headlights
thanks bud :D ordered them last night. the passenger side light is out and even with 1 ballast working it still flickers when cornering at 15/20mph around a rountabout!

Erm

Advanced Member
truupR said:
thanks bud :D ordered them last night. the passenger side light is out and even with 1 ballast working it still flickers when cornering at 15/20mph around a rountabout!
No worries, you changing both sides or leaving 1 side oem and the other aftermarket?

truupR

Advanced Member
Erm said:
No worries, you changing both sides or leaving 1 side oem and the other aftermarket?
just going to swap both sides. Really don't trust the drivers side, puts my stomach in a knot every time I've got to drive at night and i see it flickering. Going to have a go at putting the passenger side light in the oven aswell :S the condensation in it is horrific but the drivers side looks brand new >_< makes the car look terrible. Do you know if the bulbs can be adjusted without having the bumper off? If it can then going to take it to the garage and have them adjusted so I'm not blinding oncoming cars too much

Erm

Advanced Member
truupR said:
just going to swap both sides. Really don't trust the drivers side, puts my stomach in a knot every time I've got to drive at night and i see it flickering. Going to have a go at putting the passenger side light in the oven aswell :S the condensation in it is horrific but the drivers side looks brand new >_< makes the car look terrible. Do you know if the bulbs can be adjusted without having the bumper off? If it can then going to take it to the garage and have them adjusted so I'm not blinding oncoming cars too much
Yeah they can, drivers side is easier than passenger side where you might have to move the washer bottle to get to it

truupR

Advanced Member
bleh, just got the kit today - dropped all the front bumper off, go the light out annnnnnnnnnnnnnndddd - the ballast connection doesn't fit lol :< didn't have anyone with any electrical experience to hand so had to refit it all with no new hid kit on it :( luckily a mate had just got his angel eyes so has loaned me his passenger-side light with the working ballast so I don't get pulled in the meantime

anton1234

Advanced Member
What colours have you got on the new ballast? And what colours is the honda harness plug? it will just be a case of cutting off both plugs and crimping together, once you know what is the + and -