Any Turbos here?

Boosted-Imports

Rods are not the bad point in a turbo setup.When an engine like the k20 runs around 9000rpm...than the rods are more than ok.
not psi kill the rods but pistons speed and piston acceleration.
Turbo means getting higher temperatures so the pistons are the weakest point.
Like i said 400hp are not worth to talk about with the right setup. WHEN ITS DONE WELL!
Of course installing ebay crap will cause in trouble.But a well build engine will be reliable.
Im running B-Series engines like that around 300hp with no problems.and K-series engines are much more reliable in the stock bottom.

Im based in:
City: Dorsten
zip: 46286
state: NRW

thats in the northwest. 300 miles to dover.

MilanoChris

Advanced Member
I'm aware about the issue with the pistons, however the rods aren't really suited to that sort of boost. You obviously know what you're on about, however I wouldn't even consider FI with stock bottom end especially if it's a Turbo and that high power output. My 2 pence. But hey, I know nothing, I'm merely a typical punter :lol:

If you're inspecting the bottom end then why not do the whole lot while the engine is out? Or did I mis-read?

I wasn't far from there a few years ago. Sennelager, then Herford and finally Bad Oeynhausen.

Boosted-Imports

I wont strip the block.Ill just go on and check the sleeves,rings and so on.
The reason why i wont change the internals is,i am the first k20 turbo in germany and want to check how far you can go with it.
so ill build it,ill run it a couple of miles and than ill strip it and check everything.
than i can surely say what the k20 can do and i can sell this type of setup to my customers with beein sure not to smoke their engines.
Than ill do a fully build k20 dc5 ;)

Ya you werent so far away from me.tomorrow ill be in halifax.just come over too and youll get a free german crash lesson hahaha

MilanoChris

Advanced Member
Glad to hear it.

Off topic again, looking at a map, I used to live maybe 30 mins from you, in Mulheim a.d Ruhr.. :lol:

timp

Advanced Member
good luck with the install mate.

I had my rsx-s boosted by hayes in Freemont CA (now called Redzone or something)using a full full race setup that i bought second hand (had never been fitted to the car) it has a gt3037.

I had the car tuned at lowish boost (7psi i believe they tuned at) the car ran perfect, then destroyed the clutch so that was replaced.

After about 40k it started smoking a little and this got worse so my bro and i pulled the engine and got it checked at a shop and Number 3 cyl had some bad bore damage from a knackered ring. And the block would have needed to be re sleeved. There was also fine cracks on the piston skirt.

Engine was junked and a JDM k20 wacked in instead, turbo sold and now sits on a civic and he has ran without any problems for over a year and hits the strip all the time.

Not a large amount of boost, problem with not thinking about bottom end is you will always be worried!

Like you say its all in the tuning to make a car reliable....to a point.

Good luck, let us know how it goes for yah, right now i am thinking about a SC on my teg so that boost urge never goes just hope i am more lucky this time :D

weasel

Advanced Member
MilanoChris said:
I'm aware about the issue with the pistons, however the rods aren't really suited to that sort of boost. You obviously know what you're on about, however I wouldn't even consider FI with stock bottom end especially if it's a Turbo and that high power output. My 2 pence. But hey, I know nothing, I'm merely a typical punter :lol:

If you're inspecting the bottom end then why not do the whole lot while the engine is out? Or did I mis-read?

I wasn't far from there a few years ago. Sennelager, then Herford and finally Bad Oeynhausen.
stock block is good for upto 400 horse power
around 12 psi anything more and your gonna have to start spending more mulla!!!!!!!

weasel

Advanced Member
MilanoChris said:

stock block is good for upto 400 horse power
around 12 psi anything more and your gonna have to start spending more mulla!!!!!!!

Boosted-Imports

Friend of my suplier in the USA is running 539whp on stock bottom ;)
Just Headgasket,lower compression,nice kit and good tuning.

But I would never run that much.Especially not in germany with our autobahn.400 on stock block is good.

But i dont go stock.i decided to tune it right and build my block 8)

logik

Advanced Member
I have been following your work on the forum and i think i speak for a number of users. It would be great if you could post pics and updates on a regular basis. I am very interested on how this will turn out :)

Boosted-Imports

Hey logik,

thank you for the compliments buddy.I post pics everytime i do anything on the car.just watch my thread "another dc5-r from germany"

http://www.itr-dc5.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=18775

What do you want me to post if nothing happended? You want me to strip? Or you want me to dance for you hahaha :lol:
JOKE mate ;)

Today im picking up my new front bumper absorber.Cause with the intercooler the old one wouldnt fit.

But no one is posting in my threads so i thought no one is interested in it.

Ill keep you posted.

Boosted-Imports

Yah ok buddy.ill keep you all posted.Oredering 4 kits next week.one is for my dc5.intnernals also come with it.pistons,rods,gasket and so on.
ah and my new skunk2 megapower RR catback woohoo 76mm power

dave c

400hp K20
have to agree im very interested,

I'm glad you have decided to build the block rather than use a spacer plate as a HG. from your own words its much better to do it right first time rather than blow two blocks finding out.

Boosted-Imports

dave c said:

I'm glad you have decided to build the block rather than use a spacer plate as a HG. from your own words its much better to do it right first time rather than blow two blocks finding out.
Youre completely right mate

Jayk

Advanced Member
Boosted-Imports said:
dave c said:

Youre completely right mate
lol you cant do that these days. We used do that on Saxo VTS / 106 GTI's and run 230hp supercharger or turbo'd.

What are you using to build the block, which pistons, rods, bolts?