Asda fuel

Crazylegs

Advanced Member
I've been trying a combination of different fuels in my car over the past few months to see how it runs, mainly Asda fuel however for the last 2-3 weeks I've been banging in Shell's standard unleaded stuff and the car has been running dreadfully. There's been jerkiness, poor throttle response, engine braking isn't very smooth when slowing down either and it's awful to drive when you're pottering around.

As the car was running on empty today I decided to stick some of the Asda stuff in again. I'll tell you what, the change in the way the car runs off Asda fuel is unreal. It's like rocket fuel honestly now. It revs much freer, is so much smoother to drive especially when you're just pottering around and the throttle response is instant.

Honest give it a blast guys and see if you feel it runs any better. I'm not imagining things I can't get over how much better it is than the Shell and Tesco stuff.

Crazylegs

Advanced Member
Ha ha no not had a drop lol! Give it a try you'll be pleasantly surprised. ;-)

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

Gordyitrdc5

Advanced Member
If I was down to my last £5 I wouldn't, put supermarket fuel in even my daughter puts shell in her car she only been driving 2 months!

Granty1056

Advanced Member
Hi.

This has to be Christmas leg pull. I would'nt put that stuff in me lawn mower. Check under the hood and make sure you have a K20 in there. It will have Honda written on it. It's under the handle with the little bit of string fastened to it. LOL.

Regards.

LiamGTR

Advanced Member
No wonder it felt better after you said that horrible stuff, if you put v power in you'll probably find it runs better again

beppe786

Beppe
Ive been using bp ultimate as shells all around my place didnt have any v-power for past 2 weeks..

Been given me really bad mpg

£30 bp ultimate max 70miles all town driving

£30 v power max 110miles all town driving

Crazylegs

Advanced Member
I'm not putting Shell in again it's fucking shite and it's making the car run awful.

I know you can all put in whatever fuel you like but I feel some of you are being dismissive simply because it's a 'Supermarket' fuel so to speak.

I like it anyway and it's certainly improved my own car and will continue to use it. Just wanted to pass the feedback on to others but seems no one is interested and would rather mock me for using it.

Nice one.

tricker_luke

Advanced Member
A lot of people have Kpro so the engine is more sensitive to the type of fuel used, I.e. If mapped on V power you really need to always use V power.

I was mapped using V power, but will (almost) happily put Tesco 99 in since a lot of Shell garages aren't open 24hrs, but I do notice less responsiveness with the Tesco fuel. It doesn't feel as alive as V power.

hondamad2204

Advanced Member
In fairness you havent been trying the "best" shell. From my experience I would only ever put in VPOWER nitro + in. Heres mine... Now, Im not being dismissive here, I did this sort of test when I had my EP3 3 years ago. I found that Morrisons was pretty good for driveabillity, and a bit of economy. So when I picked my teg up,the neatest garage, (as it had no fuel in) was a Morrisons...put some in, thought nothing of it. Then for the first time in my experience with these engines, I tried the shell Vpower.(or the equivalent it was 3 years ago from shell) and it was night and day difference in the teg.:) So thats now my reasoning for only using Vpower. I wished id been using it in my old EP 3 after. Haha.

Everyone has their own experiences, and I agree to some extent that you cant knock it until you have tried it,.. but you have only said you used the shell eco fuel in your O.P,.. not Vpower. So with that in mind your comparing 95 ron with another 95. Makes sense? Wack some Vpower in (99 ron), and that free revving you feel at the moment, the effect will be alot smoother, and it will coast much easier. :) THEN let us know how you find Asda after that.

These cars are mapped for 100 ron + in some instances more, so technically it doesnt add up. Im not disagreeing with you atall, just to clear that up, but you can see why there are alot of "negative" comments towards your post. But if your happy to use Asda it, then go for it. :)

James

Granty1056

Advanced Member
Hi.

If you read the reviews you will see that long term use of lower quality fuel is not good for our type of engines. The Japanese engineers that built and tested the like of our engines wanted to see something special as a result of their dedication. I believe that if the engine is treated as they expected it to be then the best results will be obtained.

Jerkiness, poor throttle response and engine braking surely cannot be down to fuel alone. Something else must have been going on. Maybe the fuel was contaminated.

I notice you mentioned running on empty. Lower concentrations of fuel can lead to the possibility of the pump picking up contaminates.

According to what you read performance fuel has certain beneficial additives which other fuels don't have. If they were of no use other than to get us to pay more someone would have exposed the companies before now.

I use V power N, and Millers CFS Nanodrive oil and until someone comes along and proves that something can better it, I'm sticking with it.

Regards. Granty.

Crazylegs

Advanced Member
Jimmer said:
In fairness you havent been trying the "best" shell. From my experience I would only ever put in VPOWER nitro + in. Heres mine... Now, Im not being dismissive here, I did this sort of test when I had my EP3 3 years ago. I found that Morrisons was pretty good for driveabillity, and a bit of economy. So when I picked my teg up,the neatest garage, (as it had no fuel in) was a Morrisons...put some in, thought nothing of it. Then for the first time in my experience with these engines, I tried the shell Vpower.(or the equivalent it was 3 years ago from shell) and it was night and day difference in the teg. :) So thats now my reasoning for only using Vpower. I wished id been using it in my old EP 3 after. Haha.

Everyone has their own experiences, and I agree to some extent that you cant knock it until you have tried it,.. but you have only said you used the shell eco fuel in your O.P,.. not Vpower. So with that in mind your comparing 95 ron with another 95. Makes sense? Wack some Vpower in (99 ron), and that free revving you feel at the moment, the effect will be alot smoother, and it will coast much easier. :) THEN let us know how you find Asda after that.

These cars are mapped for 100 ron + in some instances more, so technically it doesnt add up. Im not disagreeing with you atall, just to clear that up, but you can see why there are alot of "negative" comments towards your post. But if your happy to use Asda it, then go for it. :)

James
Hi James,

I have only used V power once or twice in the DC5 so haven't used it that much in all fairness. I will give it a prolonged try and see how I get on, from what I can remember the last couple of times I used it I didn't find it had any effect on the car and how it runs, I'm not expecting rocket fuel running miracles just a smoother driving experience and better throttle response and more pull. A friend also told me that V Power is not going to have an effect on a sub 250bhp NA car regardless of whether it's a high reving VTEC or not, says only forced induction vehicles will really benefit from it.

I will give it a try for at least a month to give it a fair go and see how it goes.

Cheers.